CS_Airport Scenario 1 Rev E

T

The Smokster

Hey all, after numerous changes and updates, here is revision E of my first ever map: CS_Airport (Scenario 1 of 4)

Please feel free to download and evaluate and if possible, give me some tips :cheers:

GET REVISION E HERE

Some previous revision screenies

cs_airport_sce_1C_test1.jpg

cs_airport_sce_1C_test2.jpg

cs_airport_sce_1C_test3.jpg

cs_airport_sce_1C_test4.jpg

cs_airport_sce_1C_test5.jpg

Especially interested in working out how to increase map performance!!

Feedback, crits always welcome :farmer:

That seems quite wide open. I think you should add more objects for cover and make the players be more cautious of being ambushed. Also it is very square. Try making more rounded corners and pillars that look like they are supporting the roof. Add plants. Modernize the benches. Add more light sources on the roof. By adding more light sources I mean light fixtures on the roof, but they dont have to be emiting light, just because if you have light coming from all of the light sources and it is that dark, obviously when it is lit it is dark (obviously in real life no airport would be that dark). Thats all I can think of at the momment. Hope that helps!

You could solve a good many of the problems that redneck mentioned by just generally making the rooms smaller. The amount of detail you have now is very nearly enough for a map one third this size. So either kick the details up or make the map smaller.

The first thing that struck me is the ceiling. For a building of this size, with such wide open floorspace, you would need way more beams than the one or two visible in the screens.

I know that you've got acoustic tile, but I've never seen an airport use it in any more than a very limited capacity, in side rooms and places like hallways that have low ceilings. Places like the statue room in your map would definitely have the girders, vents and stuff at least partially exposed.

Struts and stuff are easy to make too. you just need to make one to the correct size, and then space copies of it across the ceiling.

MacInt4.jpg

That's the sort of thing I'm talking about.

Also, no airport is that empty. They're full of columns, signs, plants, chairs, fountains, luggage carousels. You name it.
The horse statue and a handful of benches just isn't enough for a structure this size. At the very least, you need a whole lotta pillars to support that roof.

Basically, the quickest and most effective way to revitalize this map would be to give it a realistic amount of structural support.
Then it's just a matter of adding more chairs and whatnot.

It also doesn't help much that every texture in the map is some shade of dull grey. I'd expect at least the floor to be a more comfortable shade. Airports are designed to be aesthetically pleasing environments. So they would definitely have much more lights and colour. But, as redneck said, you could still maintain the creepy atmosphere by turning most of the lights off.

Dead-Inside said:
You should start a new map now.

And you should stop posting replies to my posts unless you've got something decent to say!!! :angry:

To the others... thanks for the feedback :)

The Smokster said:
And you should stop posting replies to my posts unless you've got something decent to say!!! :angry:

To the others... thanks for the feedback :)

I didn't mean it as an insult. You should start a new map because you're done with this one. I doubt you can progress very much and for the time it'll take, I'd say it's not worth it.

If you start a new map you can again begin to develop your skills and use the ones you've gained by designing this map.

There, that's a one liner typed out.

Agreeing with Mech. Some pillars would be handy, easy and useful. Just use the cylinder tool for that. It would help give some great cover in those wide open areas.

Also, you could make some rounded corners for where you walls meet at a 90 degree angle, giving a little more organic feel to the airport.

For your first map it is quite a decent job. Mine looked pretty bad I must say :).

Good luck and keep mapping!

Timech

i think its gret, what youre doing but like we alll said last time... you need more stuff!

Are you sure you uploaded the right pics. cause they look the same...
take some of Mechagodzilla ideas for objects, but dont start adding hundreds of columnsa, just three or so and sign hanging etc.

youll get it soon enough.

Like other said, pillars would definately give this map a better feel about it. In Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, there are statues and artwork in the middle of the long hallways after you get off of the plane, so your horse statue would work if it's placed correctly in the environment.

Definately add some benches if it's possible and if you're really up for the task, put some TVs in the building on top of a few pillars with a news report about the airport being hijack by terrorists. That would definately add to the feel of the airport map. Add some bathroom doors on the hallways and perhaps some water fountains and benches outside also. Perhaps some Exit signs and locked Exits to add to the environment also.

I could go on and on about airports but definately add more to the map and it will turn out great. You've done a great job with your first map and I'm looking forward to the final product.

Try to lighten it up a bit and have more of a texture variation. Looks good though.

de_volume0003.jpg

i tried pillars but when ingame they look wierd, textures all f..ked up ;(

anyone know of a tutorial on pillars etc...

Try making a rectangular block and then use displacement on the longer sides and subdivide. Hopefully it'll give you a functional pillar. It won't really block vis, being a displacementmap and all, though ;).

OK peeps, new revision out E

(i know, but it's an updated E)

Get it here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.kelly//CS/cs_airport_sce_1e.zip

Some screenies for you to drool over... ;)

cs_airport_sce_1E_test1.jpg

cs_airport_sce_1E_test2.jpg

cs_airport_sce_1E_test3.jpg

cs_airport_sce_1E_test4.jpg

cs_airport_sce_1E_test5.jpg

as always, feedback, suggestions, crits etc... welcome

I've got some optimizing to do, and need to add some environmental sounds etc... patience young padawan.... all in good time ;)

If anyone feels they could contribute to this map please contact me, i'd be more than happy to add you to the credits etc...

Thanks

I still think the walkway on the outside looks to steril. It needs more detail of some kind.

The changes look ACE :)

Note the picture too. It came to me after looking at it the second time :)

Edit: The pillars on the mainhall (With the horse, which btw noone but you likes :p) have some odd texturing. The boarder on the pillar doesn't look good even though it's supposed to match the walls. I say rotate the texture and align it so that the boarder's up to instead, facing the cealing. It'll look tons better, trust me. On the same picture the boarder on the wall to the left seems missaligned? Is that just me?

One final edit; on the same picture as above, I highly suggest you concider someone having make you some new bench models. The ones that you usually see in an airport. You should also concider monitors/screens with arrivals and departures.

Cool :thumbs: thanks for the feedback mate!!

I am/will be putting in info boards with departure times etc..., will help provide cover in lounge.

The benches i'm quite satified with, once ingame you don't really notice them anyway :p

I'm trying to find some more props in the standard directory that will be of use... any suggestions welcome

I'm not at all happy with the pillars myself tbh, i'll work on something for that tho...

Will keep y'all updated as and when

Cheers all

You could make the pillars bigger and make them feel more massive that way.

It could extend outside of the waywalk so that it looks something like;
| _|____ where | = pillar and _ = floor/walkway. I think it'd look pretty good.

About the departuretimetables, I was thinking of something like;
http://www.lfv.se/upload/Flygplatser/Arlanda/Nyhetsbilder/Folk_T5.jpg
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2004/Dec-08-Wed-2004/photos/mccarran.jpg
Hanging from the upstairs walkway/floor or the cealing. Couldn't find any exact images of what I was looking for though. Anyway, big screen hanging at an angle, fitted to the cealing or walkway/floor would be ace.

Back