cs_compound or gfx card problem?

KozMic

Reaction score
Could someone please put my mind at rest and try this for me?

What it is, is when i was playing on cs_compound i shot a terrorist then noticed that the chimney (the big one) had black marks on it, the more i shot the chimney the more spikes and black marks appeared, i then created my own server to find out that if i shoot the top half of the chimney the black marks appear but if i dont shoot it any time of the round they wont appear.....sounds strange i know :)

Some one told me that its artifacts due to overheating or overclocking, but i have never messed around with my card ever!! and then someone told me that it cant be artifacts because they are black and not multi coloured (like the marks have been on the odd occasion)

at this point i was really worried that my card was damaged and that i would have to purchase another one, but it doesnt happen anywhere else on the game or any of my other games :)

i went over to my friends house who has the game:

his specs are:
intel P4 3.06ghz
512mb ddr ram
80gb hd
fx5200 128mb

and the same happens to him which he has never messed with his gfx card either......wait for it im getting to the point :D

and my specs:
AMD athlon 3000+ 2.2ghz
512mb ddr ram
120gb hd
radeon 9550v 128mb

which are completely different components.
my point is if these were artifacts wouldnt they happen randomly around the map and not just on one object if shot?

Could some please try this out and tell me if anything happens?
i hope that someone does :) its best using a shotgun, then ploughing it with bullets, then walking around the chimney

thanks for the help in advance and sorry for the rant!!

Na, man, you're good. It may just have a bullet registration error (the best word I can give it). Sometimes, on other maps this happens... for me at least.

arrrr Q_onfused youve made me a happy camper :p

Now your sure theres no gfx card problems? i know you cant be 100% sure!

i hate to blabber on but......

people are still saying that its artifacts, but how can 2 people with to different setups have the same problem at the exact same spot?

CookieCuttah my head is baffled man, you wouldnt believe how many people are stumped at what it is :)

i would just call it artifacting if it wasnt for the fact that it

only happens on the chimney (in the whole game)

doesnt happen if i dont shoot the chimney

and it happens to my friend in exactly the same place :(

The game is just stretching the, yes, bullet holes across the structure. It's like, say they stretched 10 same pixels to a 500x500 pixel area. If you shot that, the bullet hole would fill up the whole thing. Kinda hard to understand?

BTW: I'm not a game engineer, nor am I even close. This are mostly guesses but I wouldn't worry about your card.

Back