CS_XMAS (in beta)

S

stormseeker

Well for the past 3 months or so, I have been working on a map to be my first release. cs_xmas.

Its not a remake of the 1.6 version, before anyone asks.

Its currently being beta tested by a few people, and still has one or two glitches to overcome.

I hope to release the full version on the 23rd of December, (my birthday :p)

Hope you like the pics.

ir27ev.jpg
ir27w4.jpg

ir2893.jpg
ir29oo.jpg

ir2a1t.jpg
ir2aeg.jpg

ir2avp.jpg
ir2b93.jpg

ir2d0g.jpg
ir2dz8.jpg

ir2ed4.jpg
ir2fyf.jpg

ir2g6s.jpg
ir2gdl.jpg

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

oh and if the pics look dark. They aren't in game ;)

That is ****ing amazing mapping. Can't wait to play this one :D

Dear God I think my eyes just ejaculated!

w00t I was astonished only by looking at the pics. However in the 3rd pic the bridge which connects the 2 buildings looks a bit unproportionated. The rest is awesome. I like the chrismas tree and the ambient. It looks like a winter in germany. Nice work.

Im with s0cks about the bridge. Seems a little unnatural.

But it does look really nice. And like Wolenstein hehe

the bridge is based on one i walked across in italy a few years ago. Its a sloping bridge connecting a surface thats higher, and it has an arch under it. :p

i am with dekstar...my eyes just cant thank you enough for what you have done for them...only a few decent maps here and there but this one takes the cake.

Naming it "XMAS" kinda limits its use, and it's not exactly "cheery" if you ask me.

Namechange = Good idea. Don't wreak your excellent map with a bad name.

If only.. he recorded him making that map for all teh noobies out there to see :p I love the map! wish i could map like it!

Sounds like a good idea but probably not great in practice. Think of all the time you make something, come back the next day and decide you dont like one aspect of it so you rebuild that area, and again and again until you like it.
That's got to be confusing.

I like it the look of the map, everything seems to fit in place. Maybe a few more furniture props here and there but it's otherwise good.

My suggestion would to maybe remove the exterior decorations and just keep them to the indoor parts.

Maybe a name change like someone suggested would be a good idea but it's really up to you.

Is the christmas tree made from brushes or is it a model? It looks a bit bare TBH and seems as if it's dryed up. Maybe add some more branches or make the ones already there bend a bit more to make it look more bushy.

Overall, it's one of the best custom maps I've seen for CSS. :)

hmm, someone suggested CS_EVE, which is short and rememberable what do you think?

How about renaming it to something not Christmas related? Then it would "feel" right to play it all year round.

i agree on a name change
cs_ghost
cs_hollow
cs_eve (i like btw - good call)
cs_desolation

cs_yuletide
cs_noel

It deserves a name more befitting of a map of that quality. cs_XMAS screams funmap, whereas you should be looking for something that evokes elegance.

amazing mapping there,your a vary talented mapper,
good job

shorten your sig oik where do you think you are huh? hl2 world?

i dunno if you agree but...the grave stones kind of take away from the winter wonderland feel. im not sure what your aim is though....but it looks like youve got everything pretty uniform and sexy to boot. good job man.

WAR_Nuker said:
i dunno if you agree but...the grave stones kind of take away from the winter wonderland feel. im not sure what your aim is though....but it looks like youve got everything pretty uniform and sexy to boot. good job man.

every church should have a graveyard filled with those children who were naughty that year ;)

so has it been renamed stormseeker?
cs_eve sounds good
great map btw - have you a .nav file ready to go with the download

edit - is HDR included?

john3571000 said:
so has it been renamed stormseeker?
cs_eve sounds good
great map btw - have you a .nav file ready to go with the download

edit - is HDR included?
HDR isn't really needed. It's a rather foggy map.

but the glare of going from indoors to outdoors is still hdr
on the other hand it would be overkill in an overcast sky map but hey its the little things;)

HDR is the mother of pointless graphical nonsense in a online fps.

Yes, I have have had to make a custom .NAV due to the complexity of the walkable spaces.

No it doesnt have HDR, for 2 reasons. Its a major drag on fps, meaning alot of people would lag (the map is pretty heavy on fps anyway what with the detailing) in fact had i not optimised it almost to death, it would be totally unplayable with hdr. and 2, its just a graphical effect that wouldnt suit a map of this type.

I am seriously considering renaming it cs_eve and if I get round do doing it, a de_eve as well. cs_eve was suggested by a friend (alexroyce), it just seems right doesnt have to mean christmas but it does during the time of the year. Its so nice and short, server admins cant fail to spell it correctly.

stormseeker said:
Its so nice and short, server admins cant fail to spell it correctly.
You overestimate most server admins...

CS_Eve is an awesome name. Id take it.

Awesome map. Love the brush work and detail.

Back