Custom Sentry Gun

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
And idea I saw on Steampowered.

Custom Sentry:
The Engineer gets to customise his Sentry Gun in the loadout menu. You choose from a list of components that fit into different slots of the gun. Each upgrade costs a certain amount of metal and as the Engineer upgrades the gun it gets them one at a time (the order is also selected from the loadout menu).

Basic weapon slot (the gun the sentry starts with)
Machine gun - Same as current starting weapon
Shotgun - Slower rate of fire, more pushback

Primary weapon slots - 2
Chaingun - Same as current level 2 and 3 guns
Flak Cannon - Fires in bursts for large damage but a slow reload time and has a large spread
Flamethrower - Similar to the Pyro's but with a low enough ammo capacity

Secondary weapon slot
Rocket launcher - Same as current level 3 rocket launcher
Laser - Must charge up for a very accurate and powerful shot, the charging takes second or two and is very loud
Grenade Launcher - Slowly but steady firing grenades similar to the Demoman's but with a low ammo capacity

Augmentation slots - 1/2
Extra armour - Augments the Sentry's health (to the same level as a level 3)
Sensor array - A beeper and blinker are attached to the Sentry gun that go off when a cloaked/Uber'd/Kritz'd enemy is nearby.
Upgraded optics - Sight range of the Sentry Gun is increased
Lubricated gears - Increases the gun's rotation speed
Self destruct - When the Engineer demolishes (not if anyone else destroys it) his gun the ammunition inside is detonated, sending bullets/missiles/grenades/fire in all directions
Slot machine - Gives the Sentry a chance of getting crits
Nanobot pack - The Sentry Gun auto-repairs

Each upgrade is visible on the gun. I'm not sure whether the gun should be allowed get two different primary weapons or just two of the one type. Also the idea is that the augmentations shouldn't be stackable, eg, you shouldn't be able to get two optics upgrades for a sniper Sentry.

Some good ideas but I doubt they will ever add anything like this, it is far to complicated. Especially for new players trying to get used to Engineer to who are suddenly given lots of new toys to play with which they have no idea how to use in different scenarios.

Most of the ideas just don't seem pratical or unbalanced. I mean, a Flamethrower is going to be useless as its range will be very limited meaning it'll just get blasted from a distance and players will just avoid it. The shotgun and flak gun are basically the same thing. The grenade launcher would be a good alternative to the rockets. Some of the augment ideas are ok but the sensory array will render the spies clock much less effective and the optics would just extend the range of some weapons too much.

A bit too complex for it's own good, I think. Interesting idea though.

yeah, interesting ideas, tad too complex :p.

The shotgun and flak gun are basically the same thing.
That's the idea. Shotgun is a starting weapon and the flak cannon is the gun you upgrade it to.

Some good ideas but I doubt they will ever add anything like this, it is far to complicated. Especially for new players trying to get used to Engineer to who are suddenly given lots of new toys to play with which they have no idea how to use in different scenarios.
Well the idea'd be that it'd be an unlockable so new players wouldn't get to use it until they got used to the old sentry.

But on the other hand it would be quite a pain for new players on the recieving end of the sentry gun.

But on the other hand it would be quite a pain for new players on the recieving end of the sentry gun.

I'm sorry but have you been around for the last 4 damn updates?

On topic i like the idea. Personally i think the sentry is overpowered since it can kill just about any target in about four shots. Even an overhealed heavy will last about eight seconds at most. This is especially annoying with newly built sentries since more likely then not you'll die, resulting in most times you kill a sentry being trial and error, and i mean a LOT of error. Forcing players to think more strategically might give it other advantages in exchange for a couple less kills.

I've never been confused by how I died after any of the updates, which might happen with this, but it seems like it wouldn't.

Meh, if TF2 was going to go down a route like this, full of extra levels of complexity, I would rather they just added Armour back in as a disincentive to random spychecking.

I don't like the sensor array that detects spy cloaks. You giving the spy no chance. His clock is his main weapon in infiltrating the enemy base. Having a sentry alerting everyone to him is not balanced. I can just see it now, a room filled with sentry's and sensor goes off and everyone bind firing near that sentry.

If EVE online and Team Fortress had a child... this may be included in it!

How i so want to type out Yahtzee's review of Eve Online right now, but i'll just go with this: "...but the fact that your character never leaves their spaceship makes it a massive waste of time. But then if there were ever four words that completely summarized Eve, those would certainly be they, with the runnerup being a bored bored bored eyestrain."

Well that's... not really relevant at all.

I was really ****ing hoping this was about someone creating either another papercraft sentry for their desk, or offering model replacements for the sentry or something. How that would work, I haven't a clue.

Back