Delay CONFIRMED with OFFICIAL SYS REQs

FishBulb

Staff member
Reaction score
McSource

For those too lazy to click, seems GameStop and Amazon are listing the US PC release date for GTA IV as December 2. EU/AU stores still have release slated for November 21, though maybe not for long. As usual, no comment from Rockstar so could just be a retailer **** up. /crosses fingers

Still, two weeks isn't too bad considering how long we've already waited.

UPDATE: Rockstar has confirmed December 2 release date. Well, at least they've released the official system reqs too.
Minimum System Requirements

* OS: Windows Vista (Service Pack 1) / XP (Service Pack 3)
* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz / AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4 Ghz
* Memory: 1.5 GB RAM; 16 GB hard drive space
* Video card: 256 MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

Recommended System Requirements

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 Ghz / AMD Phenom X3 2.1 Ghz
* Memory: 2 GB (XP) / 2.5 GB (Vista) RAM; 18 GB hard drive space
* Video card: 512 MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512 MB ATI 3870

McSource the Second

Why would it have to be delayed? They've had like around 5 months to do the port, and isn't Xbox-PC porting almost a simple as copy and paste?

As far as i know,it's coming out on the 18th. Amazon is the wikipedia of release dates. Just ignore it.

Amazon is the wikipedia of release dates. Just ignore it.
Normally I'd agree but Newegg, GameStop, IGN and Gamespot all have December 2 as the US release date.

Blind leading the blind?

Saints Row 2 is another example. They all had it listed for a November release. A date which they all pulled out of their asses. The games delay has been confirmed and it's not coming out until January.
Again,until Rockstar makes an announcement just ignore those sites.

I have the recommended requirements, yay!

Man this sucks, I was really waiting for this game, I upgraded my rig for this game. It was supose to be my November purchase...

So now what game should I buy...

According to Rockstar they have been working on the PC version since January, so how long does it take.
The one bad thing is that it uses GFWL, so a Steam release is unlikely.

Quad core recommended? So it's actually gonna use all cores?

The one bad thing is that it uses GFWL, so a Steam release is unlikely.
I'm pretty sure there are games that use GfWL on Steam, I can't think of any off the top of my head but they do work concurrently. Plus, Rockstar have already released most of their backlog of games onto Steam so I think we'll see IV at some point.
Quad core recommended? So it's actually gonna use all cores?
It might but I doubt it. I think they're trying to play it safe by recommending Quad so if/when people complain they can't max out all the settings on a Dual, they can be all, 'we told you so'.

There are several games available on Steam that use Games for Windows Live. (e.g.,The Club,Universe at War) All their other titles are available on Steam. So,expect to see GTA IV there too. It's probably why it got delayed.

Damn not going to work on my computer :(

Why would it have to be delayed? They've had like around 5 months to do the port, and isn't Xbox-PC porting almost a simple as copy and paste?

Ha

Haha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No. :|

Crysis reqs are lower. I mean, come on, Quad Core recommended?? Lazy, unoptimized port in sight.

You may be right, i've just played the PC port of Bully and it's awful. It's very buggy and poorly built; no support for controllers other than the 360, washout graphics, loads of crashes just check out the Steam forums,unplayable if you have more than 3Gig of Ram even more crashes, lots of lag and pop ups even on high end systems.
I was looking at the main folder and saw a "copy of shaders" folder. i can see now why they didn't waste time adding DRM to it. I hope Rockstar respect PC gamers and give us the port we deserve especially since we had to wait unnecessarily longer for it.

That's discouraging about Bully, especially considering the aeon people had to wait for a PC port of that. Optimism might say that GTA4 is higher profile so they should have sunk more time and effort into it, but the bizarre 'quad core recommended' thing makes me suspect after all that Rockstar have been smoking something fruity while porting this.

Yeah, quad core does seem a bit strange, but perhaps they mean quad core if you want to play max settings at max resolution with good framerates?

Interestingly enough, from the GS preview:
The aim is to ensure that the game not only looks good on top-end hardware--at a maximum resolution of 2560x1600 pixels--but also runs perfectly well on three-year-old machines, according to the Rockstar staffer taking us through the demo.
And further explained by Kikizo's preview:
Handled by Rockstar Toronto, while the original developers at Rockstar North work away on their top-secret downloadable content, the PC version has a fully customisable graphics menu. Texture quality can be set to high medium or low, you can toggle the shadow quality, texture filter quality, reflection resolution and water quality - all of which have four settings - low, medium or high (or 'very high', if you really have the extra juice). View distance, detail distance, shadow density and light distance can all be set from 1-100, and most interestingly, so can vehicle density, which also changes the way the game plays for obvious reasons, and to give you an idea of how much you can turn it up, Rockstar told us that the equivalent vehicle density featured on the console versions would have been just 33 per cent!

Yeah, quad core does seem a bit strange, but perhaps they mean quad core if you want to play max settings at max resolution with good framerates?
Possible, but if so it's strange that they list an nVidia 8600 alongside the quad core then, since I doubt that an 8600 will give absolutely flawless performance with everything maxed.

Even more confusing is that one of the previews I read, played on 'some seriously impressive hardware' including a GTX 280, was technically using a below-recommended machine since it was only a dual core. I find it hard to believe they'll justify the recommendation of a quad or that it will make that much difference to the performance...

I just don't know. This is the first time Rockstar Toronto's handling the GTA PC port instead of Rockstar North, and they did state that they built this port from the ground up especially for the PC, but that was most likely just PR mumbo jumbo.

Mine:

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.2 Ghz
* Memory: 3 GB + 2 GB (added ones)
* Video card: 2x SL 512 MB NVIDIA 8800

WOOT!! i can play this f***er

Are we going to have to pay extra for the multiplayer? You know, for the Live service? I've never used this in the pc so I'm not sure how it works

Mine:

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.2 Ghz
* Memory: 3 GB + 2 GB (added ones)
* Video card: 2x SL 512 MB NVIDIA 8800

WOOT!! i can play this f***er
Yeah, it's a close run thing, but your fast dual core, 5Gb RAM and two strong cards in SLI just about edge it :rolleyes:

Are we going to have to pay extra for the multiplayer? You know, for the Live service? I've never used this in the pc so I'm not sure how it works
No, GfW Live is now completely free for the PC.

I Am not worried. This is Rockstars pride and joy after all.
Bully sucks because of its poorly optimized engine. Read the reviews for the console versions.

Yeah, it's a close run thing, but your fast dual core, 5Gb RAM and two strong cards in SLI just about edge it :rolleyes:

Yeah I know. My rigs only a little better so I doubt I'll get good performance either. I only have an overclocked quadcore, 8 gigs of ram, and a radeon 4850. Damn, looks like its time for an upgrade.

You know, i have two computers. One is that what i described earlier. Other one is shit and i can only go to internet with it. I believe it was bought in 2003. Integrated graphics isn't funny. 18 GB Hard disk drive isn't funny either.

It's gonna be released this year. No way in hell they're gonna miss the Christmas market.

Back