Dell Dimension XPS worth it?

Blair

Reaction score
Pentium® 4 Processor at 3GHz with 800MHz front side bus
1GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M)
128MB DDR ATI RADEON™ 9800 Pro Graphics Card with TV-Out/DVI
120GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive
3.5 in Floppy Drive
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet
16 Max DVD-ROM Drive
48x CD-RW Drive with Roxio's Easy CD Creator®
Sound Blaster_ Audigy 2™ sound card with DVD Audio Altec Lansing® ADA745 4.1 Surround Sound Speakers w/ Subwoofer Software

All for 2,492$. That seems alittle steep to me, I know some of you will say just build your own it's cheaper! Well, you're correct it's cheaper, but I have no idea how do build them or format and install from scratch.

Anybody own a Dell Dimension? How do you like it?

its a stunning PC but im sure you can find one jsut like it alot cheaper

id recommend if your going to buy one prebuilt buy one not from a company such as dell, or packard bell etc... they do tend to make oyu pay for the brand name...

oh i found out about this company today from a previous topic..

http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/highendsystem/gamer_inf_9000pro.htm

is a system near enough exactly the same as urs 400$ cheaper and it has the 256 meg version of the 9800 pro...

you can tone it down and adjust some of the settings eg change it to a 9800 pro 128meg and lower the proice still

they have 3 years warranty also :)

TheRook

edit: heres the main websit address

http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/

Thanks alot, I'll have to look into this place :)

I've been looking long and hard at a similar Dell setup 'cos I haven't got the ready cash to build my own (plus the last PC I built was a 486 DX266(!) and need to go the finance route through my parents, who insist on a reputable company. It's the only way I can get a decent gamin/work rig that I can see, but I'd appreciate any suggestions of somewhere suitable in the UK.

PS congratulate me for my first post ever.... then shoot me for the headcrab that I am :D

Dude, building is so easy, I built a computer with those specs like 6 months ago, minus the 800mhz fsb and the 9800 is a 9700 and it cost 1650. Its worth 800 to learn how and its really not that difficult. I figured it all out by myself and using the internet, just correspond with people on www.extremetech.com and say this is what im getting what else will i need.

Dell XPS, Alienware, Gateway, voodoo, etc etc= HUGE Mofoing rip off. Dont even think about it. Like suggested, cyberpower is good. Ibuypower is also good.

Of course the best choice of all is to build your comp.

I don't like Dell for the following reasons:

1) Expensive as all get-out.
2) Customizable choices are limiting.
3) Piling all this software crap and deals on you (RealPlayer, Video Editor, ISP, "Productivity Software", etc.)
4) The good stuff cost more, a Lot Lot more.
5) Expensive as all get-out...

Back