Detects new HD, but not in mycomputer list?

Rocketman9mm

Reaction score
How do I get my computer to make my new hard drive viewable. I connected a new one as a slave drive, and on boot up i got one of those little popups by my clock saying new hard drive detected, but it doesn't show up when i open "my computer" how do I fix this?

Thanks.

What windows?
The drive might not have a partion, If you have windows XP, go to control panel, turn on classic view, go to adminstative tools, computer managment, storage, disk managment. There you will see your harddrives, look for you new one, and see if it says healthy, unpartioned space etc.

If its unpartioned space, you can right click and create a partion.

This is assuming its there, let me know if its not listed.

Windows, XP pro - fresh intall

Ok, I'm in there and it said dynamic foreign disc, had the option to import it or convert it. I don't know what to pick, and I'm certainly not gonna do anythign to lose the info on it!

Your hard drive has data on it?

I've never seen dynamic foreign disc, so I'm not sure what that is.
I'm not sure which to choose, or even what they do. :|

no. its a hard drive i had used in my old computer. never any raid array or anything. just a mostly full Hard drive.

whats the jumper on the HD set to? is the cable plugged into the harddrive tested to work?

try some stuff like a different cable, a different controller(primary or secondary), try secondary master, secondary slave. depending on the mb and hd, some have problems working in some configs.

Well, Everything is connected. I have power to both, jumpers are set correctly to both. The hard drives are on the Primary IDE slot on the mobo with the master disc on the primary connector on the rounded cable and the one that isn't being seen correctly (slave) on the secondary. my motherboard is the Asus A8V.

If your PC sees the drive but Windows doesn't show it then there is not a readable partition.

If it is empty, personally I would just pop the WinXP cd in and go through the install to partition the drive but exit out right then and format in windows.

If there is data on the drive then probably isn't detecting it correctly. Go into Bios and do an Auto detect again. Hopfully that works.
If that doesn't work put it back in the old PC if you can and write down what the cylinders, heads and other information is and enter that in manually on the new PC.

The more hassle free way would probably be to transfer the data onto your current drive from your old PC over the network, then partition and reformat and then put the data back on it.

What is set to Master on the secondary controller? Try switching the drive to Master and whatever else is there to Slave before you do anything else. Personally I never use cable select but rather always set to Master or Slave.

so your harddrives jumpers are set to cable select? try changing the non-working harddrive to slave. or if its slave set it to cable select.

yes the secondary one which is having this prob is currently set to slave.

I'd do that, asus but the main one on my last comp is much smaller and has no room anyway.

Asus: on the secondary IDE controller, there is only 1 device, my combo drive, and I think it is set to master. I'd have to go in there and look to be sure. So you think If I put the second drive as master of the second controller and the combo drive as its slave it would work better?

Rocketman9mm said:
Asus: on the secondary IDE controller, there is only 1 device, my combo drive, and I think it is set to master. I'd have to go in there and look to be sure. So you think If I put the second drive as master of the second controller and the combo drive as its slave it would work better?
Give it a try.

Back