Did anyone else feel like they were playing StarShip troopers

K

KidRock

During the coastal video? Those bugs look identicle to the ones in the movie. I felt like it was star ship troopers haha.

Maybe we'll see a Starship Troopers mod!

In spite of a ST game being in the works already.....

Giant insects tend to look the same but you can see quite a bit of difference between Ant Lions and the Starship Troopers (film version) books if you compare the two.

It's funny that the ST/Antlion comparison threads don't have pictures to back up the original statement. The reason is because the pictures would show that the bugs are completely different (ST bugs are basically large heads/mouths walking on legs while Antlions are more like ants, Antlions also have different leg setup and colouration).
As Feath has said, the impression left on most people is that insects are insects; a grass hopper is the same as a praying mantis if you don't bother to look closer at the differences.

Few people are going to conciously try and pick the differences between an ant-lion and starship trooper bug but in this pic you can clearly see the differences.

"It's a bug it's got legs, it's a starship troopers ripoff!!!"

Attachments

• comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 701
Mr-Fusion said:
Few people are going to conciously try and pick the differences between an ant-lion and starship trooper bug but in this pic you can clearly see the differences.

"It's a bug it's got legs, it's a starship troopers ripoff!!!"

I don't remember starship troopers looking that ugly :(

But yeah you're right. It's the brain playing tricks on you. You can't really remember what it looked like. But you definately remember you've seen it.

Starship Troopers was a rip off of a brilliant book. Robert Heinlein must have spun in his grave (except for the fact he was cremated) when it came out.

TMPer Tantrum said:
Starship Troopers was a rip off of a brilliant book. Robert Heinlein must have spun in his grave (except for the fact he was cremated) when it came out.

Pretty rough to cremate him because of a bad movie :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Mr-Fusion said:

Is one of the differences that the starship troopers one has better graphics?

The one on the left looks half as good as the one on the right.

TMPer Tantrum said:

Like a dust-devil in his grave, or something.

Err, let's not forget the deserty style setting, and the shotgun, how could you not think of starship troopers?

In the jail the thought crossed my mind, with the whole "bugs in the hole" thing, but yeah, the pier / desert / who cares vid was starship troopers from nam.

urseus said:
Is one of the differences that the starship troopers one has better graphics?

The one on the left looks half as good as the one on the right.
One shot has good lighting, the other doesnt. Alot of people underestimate the effect of good lighting

ahhh.. the movie wasnt so bad.. sure it wasnt a motion-picture masterpiece, but it was never meant to be, i even think i heard the director say it was not supposed to have a great plot/characters (covering maybe? :p) but it was a good 'fun' movie, no thinking needed... just some fun action scenes... :)

as for the antlions, well, they're exploiting our inbuilt fear of bugs and such.. i wouldnt think it was a direct copy, just a common re-appearence of something we all know..

wow, someone other than my immediate family who read starship troopers. the crazy thing is that book was wrote in the 1950's (if i remember correctly.) if you enjoyed it, you should check out Forever War, it's sort of the same premise of Starship Troopers.

But having read the book, and seeing the first few moments of the movie, you really need to take them as two seperate entities, that pretty much have almost nothing in common. if you can do that, you'll enjoy the movie, because it is just a fun movie to watch. who didn't laugh at those kids smashing the bugs? The only good bug is a dead bug.

they already made a Starship Troopers game, and it was not very good.

They're similar because they're both insect-based creatures. Check out the legs of your local ant or spider and you'll see.

Giant insects tend to look the same but you can see quite a bit of difference between Ant Lions and the Starship Troopers (film version) books if you compare the two.

Sure... but Zerg / starship & HL2 are very simalar.. and i cant stop thinking about Starcraft..

Jakeic said:
wow, someone other than my immediate family who read starship troopers. the crazy thing is that book was wrote in the 1950's (if i remember correctly.) if you enjoyed it, you should check out Forever War, it's sort of the same premise of Starship Troopers.

But having read the book, and seeing the first few moments of the movie, you really need to take them as two seperate entities, that pretty much have almost nothing in common. if you can do that, you'll enjoy the movie, because it is just a fun movie to watch. who didn't laugh at those kids smashing the bugs? The only good bug is a dead bug.

they already made a Starship Troopers game, and it was not very good.

Yeah i always found Starship Troopers a bit 60's like. Like the style of Fallout.

TMPer Tantrum said:
Okay, in fairness I haven't read the book and, yes, books are usually better than the films they spawn (especially if you've already read and loved the book beforehand). However, I thought Starship Troopers was a pretty damn good film. Fairly mindless (but fun) action, a dark sense of humour and cleverly tongue-in-cheek.

el Chi said:
Okay, in fairness I haven't read the book and, yes, books are usually better than the films they spawn (especially if you've already read and loved the book beforehand). However, I thought Starship Troopers was a pretty damn good film. Fairly mindless (but fun) action, a dark sense of humour and cleverly tongue-in-cheek.

Yeah, I liked that movie to. I can remember how blown away I was of the special effects.

On topic: The Antlions may be inspired from the ST movie, but they sure don't look much alike IMO. The legs match, but that's pretty much it.

Arachnids: Giant staple-removers on spiderlike legs.

Ant Lions: Much smaller lacewing-lookalikes with completely different legs and the ability to make wing-boosted jumps.

Very little actual similarity...

The antlions dig through sand aswell as seen in the latest bink where they pop up with alot of dust surrounding them.

It's quite a cool feature, in Jedi Knight2:JA,
there were dune-like monsters digging through sand and eating you up if you ran around on it.
Perhaps in HL2 you could be surprised by a horde of antlions suddenly appearing around you,
or having one taking a bite of your leg from below.

Instead of starting a new thread.. i ask it here::

What are Antlions.. why are they outside city17?
Are they creatures living naturaly in this area..

Or..

are they "manufactured" - "grown" (sorry, cant find right word :) )
to kill people who escape city17??
Or maybee from XEN?? no.. Aliens??

Then.. what are Striders?

She said:
Instead of starting a new thread.. i ask it here::

What are Antlions.. why are they outside city17?
Are they creatures living naturaly in this area..

Or..

are they "manufactured" - "grown" (sorry, cant find right word :) )
to kill people who escape city17??
Or maybee from XEN?? no.. Aliens??

Then.. what are Striders?

Striders are apparently biomechanical "vehicles" (which sucks, being a vehicle deducts about 90% on the bad ass-scale.) and are made by the combine.

Ant lions are aliens, either Xen- or Race X-creatures.

Striders are biomechanical weapons used by the combine...

...as for the antlions, I have no idea.

The arachnid from startshiptrooper and the antlion in hl2 are soooo diffferent! the arachind is almost 3 times the size of an antlionis! plus they sorta stand on their hind legs and attack a person with their long ass legs, but the antlion lunges at the prey or target! All the antlions have wings and so far have only been seen to lung at people and not fly around but only some of the arachnids have wings but they fly around like fighter planes and scoop up troopers! Aracnids have that weak point on their belly thats like thier brain or something! An arachnoid like the size of the antliion gaurd or queen i forget the name, the one that breaks through the brick wall and takes down the combine in one of those videos!

But hey thats just my two cents :thumbs:

The arachnid from startshiptrooper and the antlion in hl2 are soooo diffferent! the arachind is almost 3 times the size of an antlionis! plus they sorta stand on their hind legs and attack a person with their long ass legs, but the antlion lunges at the prey or target! All the antlions have wings and so far have only been seen to lung at people and not fly around but only some of the arachnids have wings but they fly around like fighter planes and scoop up troopers! Aracnids have that weak point on their belly thats like thier brain or something! An arachnoid like the size of the antliion gaurd or queen i forget the name, the one that breaks through the brick wall and takes down the combine in one of those videos!

But hey thats just my two cents

To compare "what they eat" is not going to breake the fact that the Antlion and the Arachnid are very simalar in Design.
And probobly are inspired by them too.. or the Zerg.

They attack the same too.. With their front claws... :p

EDIT.. oh, i forgot to mention Unreal2... Play the game..

I still think its pretty cool that you can control the ant-lions into doing your bidding.

el Chi said:

The Director didn't read the book either.
Director Paul Verhoeven admits to never finishing the novel, claiming he read through the first few chapters and becoming both bored and depressed.

If Verhoeven directed Lord of The Rings here's a list of following changes he would've made:

* Samwise would've a girl and Frodo and him would've fallen in love.
* Half the Fellowship would've been female and they'd have stopped to have a communial bath together
* When Frodo asked Gandalf why didn't Bilbo didn't kill Gollum, Gandalf wouldn't have explained about pity and mercy. No, he would've just stabbed him in the hand.

These are all based off changes from Starship Troopers the book to Starship Troopers the film. It's not as there's a few changes, the entire idea of the book was just ignored.

Wow, that's quite a change...
In any case I still think it's a decent film. I suppose it might be better to consider it as a separate entity :|
However, how does the original author pull off the battles or is it not like that at all?

el Chi said:
Wow, that's quite a change...
In any case I still think it's a decent film. I suppose it might be better to consider it as a separate entity :|
However, how does the original author pull off the battles or is it not like that at all?

In the actual book, the bugs are smart and somewhat humanoid. More like Race X troopers, or those bugs from Starwars 2

Psh, the way they fought in the book is completely different than in the movie. In the book they were a lot fewer soldiers, they were in robotic fighting suits, they had a much larger arsenal of weapons, and they were shot onto a planet from a ship in orbit rather than dropped in by dropships.

but i think every movie ever made could stand to be made a little better by a unisex shower scene.

Feath said:
what he said. also, i find the idea of fighting swarms of giant insect-like creatures incredibly cool. i cant wait to fight them in the game, and in the multiplayer maps (someone will make them im sure) that will re-enact starship troopers.

CrazyHarij said:
Striders are apparently biomechanical "vehicles" (which sucks, being a vehicle deducts about 90% on the bad ass-scale.) and are made by the combine.

Ant lions are aliens, either Xen- or Race X-creatures.
valve has never said they were vehicles being piloted. perhaps you heard from someone about the quote in which gabe said that it was possible with the game content to control one as a player. but they only did this for fun, not as an actual game element. like you, i want them to be their own entities, which im guessing they are. but for those that want to pilot one, a mod will probably be out with in days of release allowing you to do just that.

kaf11 said:
valve has never said they were vehicles being piloted. perhaps you heard from someone about the quote in which gabe said that it was possible with the game content to control one as a player. but they only did this for fun, not as an actual game element. like you, i want them to be their own entities, which im guessing they are. but for those that want to pilot one, a mod will probably be out with in days of release allowing you to do just that.

They did, in a number of may/june issues with previews and such, I remember the swedish version of PCGamer stated that Gabe said they were pilotable vehicles.

Back