Difference?

Dalith

Reaction score
Let me remind you I'm not very good with Graphic Cards :p

I currently have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 64mb and planning to buy Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis PRO 128MB
AGP, ATI9600PRO, DVI-I, TV-Out, Retail in the end of this month.

Is there a huge difference between these cards?
I mean, not only in DX9 but generally.

And if I want to overclock the 9600pro later on, how will I do it? :p

Take care!

Maybe searching? :)
But in short, yes its alot of difference. You dont see it now that much, but you will when all the new games come out. It also have much better FSAA quality, at higher speeds.
Overclocking can easily be done by installing rage3d tweak (rage3d.com, if you have a Radeon, remember this page :)) and overclock in the control panel.

the geforce4 mx series of cards are very, very bad cards. You will notice a huge increase in performance, and you'll have the ablility to have some much more eyecandy on (AA, AF, etc.)

all us geforce mx owners must stand up, and in unison, snap our cards in half.

Hell yeah, GF4 MX was really an update to the GF2 chip unlike the GF4 Ti which was like an updated GF3. The GF4 MX doesn't even have some of the cooler DX8 effects so it's really going to make a huge difference to something like Half Life 2.
It should run a lot better especially if you've got a good CPU that wont bottleneck it. So yeah, much faster, much prettier :)

Originally posted by Xei
Hell yeah, GF4 MX was really an update to the GF2 chip unlike the GF4 Ti which was like an updated GF3. The GF4 MX doesn't even have some of the cooler DX8 effects so it's really going to make a huge difference to something like Half Life 2.
It should run a lot better especially if you've got a good CPU that wont bottleneck it. So yeah, much faster, much prettier :)

Will P4 1.8GHz do?

If you want a 9600 pro, may I suggest the Tyan version. Comes with built in hardware monitoring and is designed for overclocking. Go to ebuyer.co.uk they're selling them for £99 ex VAT. Best 9600 you can buy by miles

hey MacGraham, what is 99 pounds in dollars? what about $120

sorta off topic: i know what AA is, thats for better textures far away, but what is AF?

Originally posted by Thadius Dean
hey MacGraham, what is 99 pounds in dollars? what about $120

sorta off topic: i know what AA is, thats for better textures far away, but what is AF?

AF is for making textures look good with distance, AA is for reducing 'jaggies' i.e. making things appear more smoother

Originally posted by MacGraham
If you want a 9600 pro, may I suggest the Tyan version. Comes with built in hardware monitoring and is designed for overclocking. Go to ebuyer.co.uk they're selling them for £99 ex VAT. Best 9600 you can buy by miles

Hmm, it'll probably cost as much as the card to send it to sweden. :/

Crap.. just noticed my mother board only supports AGP 1x / 2x or 4x.. so tops 4

Is it still worth to buy the 9600pro card?

Originally posted by Dalith

Anyone? :/

Originally posted by Dalith

Yes it is.

There is almost no performance differance and it will work fine.

My mobo is 4xAGP and i use a 9700pro.

Okay...where do you see what kind of AGP speed your motherboard can support?

Find your motherboard's name and model number (If you don't know, use Belarc assistant, search for it on google).
Then go to the manufacturors website and look there, it should have full specs somewhere even if they no longer make it.

this thread makes me feel bad lol, i got a geforce4 440 MX on my laptop ;x (it came with it)

and my desktop uses a ti4200 128 which also sucks ass. damn nvidia :\

Back