Discovery Channel Headquarters Hostage Situation

Kakashi

Spy
Reaction score
So today there was a serious incident involving a disgruntled activist at the Discovery Channel Headquarters in Silver Spring, MD. Pretty much 10 minutes from my house, and 5 units from my rescue squad was dispatched along with 50 other Montgomery County Fire Rescue Units. So I had close tabs on what was going on. Fire units and bomb techs are still on scene with the suspicious packages that he brought in the building with him.

Read the full story here: http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/01/maryland.discovery.channel/index.html?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- Three hostages were rescued from the headquarters of the Discovery Channel in Silver Spring, Maryland, Wednesday afternoon after police shot and killed the man who was holding them, officials said.

James Lee, has a website: http://savetheplanetprotest.com/
It's a crazy read if you have the chance.

Just one of his demands:
The Discovery Channel and it's affiliate channels MUST have daily television programs at prime time slots based on Daniel Quinn's "My Ishmael" pages 207-212 where solutions to save the planet would be done in the same way as the Industrial Revolution was done, by people building on each other's inventive ideas. Focus must be given on how people can live WITHOUT giving birth to more filthy human children since those new additions continue pollution and are pollution. A game show format contest would be in order. Perhaps also forums of leading scientists who understand and agree with the Malthus-Darwin science and the problem of human overpopulation. Do both. Do all until something WORKS and the natural world starts improving and human civilization building STOPS and is reversed! MAKE IT INTERESTING SO PEOPLE WATCH AND APPLY SOLUTIONS!!!!

Just a picture of the headquarters that I drive by every week.

ht_Sharkphoto2_090728_ssh.jpg

holy shit a giant shark disguised as a building!

How could anybody go into that building with evil intentions? Just the sight of that makes me joyful.

Guess he stopped taking his pills.

"We must decrease the amount of humans on the planet!(but not me though)"

To be fair, he did just get himself shot.

he actually did die, but he should have just worked in a grocery store and poisoned people....dumbass. no one has any creativity anymore

Industrial Revolution - (pollution + overpopulation) = ????

Industrial Revolution - (pollution + overpopulation) = Profit

fixed!

children used to live one family to a room, and the children had no workers rights, some working 12-15 hr days. are you f'in kidding me shooter guy?? we live in a very safe time in the US even still. the biggest thing that kills is Cancer, heart attacks, and car accidents (from what i remember)

I remember reading in National Geographic that this planet could survive like 3 times the population we have, and who knows by the time that happens we'll probably be onto bigger things then (space stations, moons, the sky (lol))

but yeah I think we and the earth can handle more and are trying harder every day to help the earth. as far as i know, i still see green grass, green trees, blue skies and plenty of healthy people alive and doing well. this man was probably just screwed up in the head and watched too much of Al Gore

I remember reading in National Geographic that this planet could survive like 3 times the population we have

The thing is, population expands exponentially. I was under the impression that there won't be enough food for everyone in just decades. Not like it's divided evenly in the first place. And I don't mean just "we need to grow more" or whatever, but there is little to no more fertile ground left. We are using it all.

Throw in fresh water shortages and other global climate changes, just for excitement.

So basically, we need to find a way to double the amount of food we can produce from the same amount of farmland.

We have doubled production before in history, with things like heavy machinery and irrigation. Obviously we have selective breeding - we even have genetically altered plants. So now what? Where do we go from here.

:farmer:

We need to grow tomatoes 'n' shit on every skyscraper in New York.

fixed!

children used to live one family to a room, and the children had no workers rights, some working 12-15 hr days. are you f'in kidding me shooter guy?? we live in a very safe time in the US even still. the biggest thing that kills is Cancer, heart attacks, and car accidents (from what i remember)

I remember reading in National Geographic that this planet could survive like 3 times the population we have, and who knows by the time that happens we'll probably be onto bigger things then (space stations, moons, the sky (lol))

but yeah I think we and the earth can handle more and are trying harder every day to help the earth. as far as i know, i still see green grass, green trees, blue skies and plenty of healthy people alive and doing well. this man was probably just screwed up in the head and watched too much of Al Gore

I think you misunderstood my maths.

Dude had gone apeshit at the Discovery TV HQ before back in 08. He payed a bunch of bums to protest then starting throwing thousands in cash in the air and made a ruckus. Here's video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lqk7c5pAGU

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38957020/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

This is what you get when people become obsessed with crazy misinformation like "An Inconvenient Truth"

Lee said at the time that he experienced an ‘‘awakening” when he watched former Vice President Al Gore’s environmental documentary ‘‘An Inconvenient Truth.”

So basically, we need to find a way to double the amount of food we can produce from the same amount of farmland.

Don't forget that some of it goes for BioDiesel, too. So doubling it just won't fix the problem. The big motor companies really should start investing in Hydrogen and electricity-powered vehicles right away - it is the future. But they are just better fit with the current technology - imagine what a pain in the ass would it be if they had to re-work every single vehicle that uses the old engines we know and use today. And it will be a tremendous loss for them, on the other hand.

The thing is, population expands exponentially. I was under the impression that there won't be enough food for everyone in just decades. Not like it's divided evenly in the first place. And I don't mean just "we need to grow more" or whatever, but there is little to no more fertile ground left. We are using it all.

Throw in fresh water shortages and other global climate changes, just for excitement.

We have doubled production before in history, with things like heavy machinery and irrigation. Obviously we have selective breeding - we even have genetically altered plants. So now what? Where do we go from here.

:farmer:

We need to grow tomatoes 'n' shit on every skyscraper in New York.

to me fresh water shortages are a myth. we can desalinize water yet we refuse to because its "expensive" i think we are just lazy. look everywhere there is an ocean. on the other hand this whole debate about the globe is caput. we will all die off by machines simply because we are becoming outnumbered by computers and robots everyday. it is the future and i think will be very hard to control once a company decides to go all Skynet and blow shit up on accident

Was Discovery still on the air during this whole incident? They probably had hours of tapes rolling.

Hahah, that's cool, had no idea what the Discovery Channel HQ looked like.

to me fresh water shortages are a myth. we can desalinize water yet we refuse to because its "expensive" i think we are just lazy. look everywhere there is an ocean. on the other hand this whole debate about the globe is caput. we will all die off by machines simply because we are becoming outnumbered by computers and robots everyday. it is the future and i think will be very hard to control once a company decides to go all Skynet and blow shit up on accident

You'd rather drink from the ocean instead of the freshwater reserves?

Robots rule, dude.

Does that giant shark building have a freaking laser beams attached to its head?

dr-evil.JPG

Dude had gone apeshit at the Discovery TV HQ before back in 08. He payed a bunch of bums to protest then starting throwing thousands in cash in the air and made a ruckus. Here's video

20100902070517capture.png

Don't forget that some of it goes for BioDiesel, too. So doubling it just won't fix the problem. The big motor companies really should start investing in Hydrogen and electricity-powered vehicles right away - it is the future. But they are just better fit with the current technology - imagine what a pain in the ass would it be if they had to re-work every single vehicle that uses the old engines we know and use today. And it will be a tremendous loss for them, on the other hand.

Everyone has an opinion on how the world can be saved, but the fact of the matter is that 99.9% of them are extremely impractical, and way too expensive. It seems a good portion of this "THE WORLD IS ENDING" bullshit is just propaganda anyway.

Lol fresh water shortages are a myth? You're funny brah.

It seems a good portion of this "THE WORLD IS ENDING" bullshit is just propaganda anyway.

While we're at it, I'd say that the things about we humans causing the global warming phenomena may not be so true. It may be an event that happens over thousands of years - it's just that we haven't experienced such global changes before. We may contribute to it since the Industrial revolution, but we have certainly not started it!

Lol fresh water shortages are a myth? You're funny brah.

I don't think he realises how stupid that statement is. It's like saying cancer is a myth, just because there are treatments.

You'd rather drink from the ocean instead of the freshwater reserves?

Robots rule, dude.

Coca Cola, Pepsi, etc they all diverge huge aquifers in many nations and suck the areas dry. There's a few documentaries on it floating on Google and YouTube. Its a man made travesty and I hope Penn and Teller do a Bull$hit episode on it someday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyFsodVUd-o

Back