Discussion: Artificial intelligence in HL2

lans

Reaction score
Well, let me start of by saying, I was somewhat dissapointed by the A.I.

No games featured revolutionary A.I., this year. Halo 2 was good, but that's mostly because of the great Elite A.I.

HL2 and Far cry are in the "competent" category.

Metrocops were shockingly easy. The combine soldiers are slightly more beefed up, but still can be taken down pretty easily. The radio commands are helluva cool though, but don't make them "revolutionary". As Amishslayer said, HL's marine A.I. was much better for it's time, than HL2's combine A.I.

The combine eilte, however is the saviour of HL2's A.I., somewhat like the elites are the saviours in halo 2. However, the elites in halo 2 are generally more smarter.

The vehicles, that is the helicopters, e.t.c. - are definately more challenging than the groundforces, but nothing unbelievably hard. Striders are definately a good challenge though, they can dodge rockets sometimes, and their machinegun brings down your health fast - but can still be taken down (I'll keep this as a surprise for you)

Amazingly, the fast zombies and ravenholm truned out to showcase some pretty neat "dumb" A.I.
The zombies are good and overpowering you, which is pretty cool, but still are easy, nonetheless. The zombie clan, as expected, are jerks.

I won't reveal the monsters, as it would be too spoilerific.
Neither the bosses.

But overall it's fine. Definately a lightage better than Doom 3.

its an easy and short game

in the other topic people tell me the AI is great, though

let me get one thing straight first "half life 2 RULES!" it so does i love it to bits!

No way is it a short game. it isn't a short game at all! it meets all standards by being a great length of a game! and with the SDK people can make thier own YAY. i know i will make soom!

i love half life 2 to bits!

the ai i was a bit annoyed with which is...how smart they are!

i mean i was hoping for them to go behind walls/call on thier radio/shooting the radio from thier hands/covering fire/loads of ai things!

o well i love this game 10/10 from me for def!

one more thing....I CANT KILL THE civilians!! i loved it when i shot a police in hl and he got mad and tryed to kill me! and shooting the scientists. it makes it realistic.

I thought the AI was excellent. Remember, AI does more than just dodge and shoot. It's what controls the NPC and enemies' behavior for everything.

With all of my gaming with HL, CS and other games, computer controlled players are rather easy by nature. But HL2's AI does a great job with variety that can make it very challenging and great to catch inaction.

I was low health or red for most of the game. If the AI killed me more often, that would not make it better AI. Having to search for health and live in fear from dying is much better than actually dying and starting over. IMO ;)

To make it more difficult, try Hard. With most players having put a great deal of time into FPS games, it's hard to make AI enough competition. But I think Valve did a great job.

Asus said:
To make it more difficult, try Hard. With most players having put a great deal of time into FPS games, it's hard to make AI enough competition. But I think Valve did a great job.

Exactly. You must realize that you guys are HL-addicts, and most likely FPS veterans. You know how to play FPS's and have a lot of experience doing so, I'm sure if you look at the point of view from just an average gamer, that the A.I. is quite good.

Anyhow, I think the only IMPORTANT thing is that the A.I. is better than it was in HL. At least that's how I look at it. As long as the A.I. is at least as good as any other FPS game out now, it's perfectly fine.

I was actually quite surprised by the AI so far, (Not done yet, bout half way...maybe).

But the Zombies, The Speed Zombies, they have amazing AI for being "animal" by nature.
The Combine posed more of a challenge than the Gamespot review made it seem. I agree the metro cops weren't that hard to kill, but it's the first real enemy you encounter.
I'm very pleased with the AI thus far, and hope it doesn't get to the point where I have no chance against 'em

Omg Doom 3's AI was HORRIBLE. I did this the whole game.

HAve any enemy spot me.

Hide around a corner.

When the enemy comes to sight.

1 Shotgun blast and the monsters dead.

They took no cover from grenades and stood there shooting your chasing you the whole time.

Lunacy Fringe said:
Omg Doom 3's AI was HORRIBLE. I did this the whole game.

HAve any enemy spot me.

Hide around a corner.

When the enemy comes to sight.

1 Shotgun blast and the monsters dead.

They took no cover from grenades and stood there shooting your chasing you the whole time.

doom3?? isn't this a HL2 - ai discussion?
edit: yes, it was horrible. :|

at first i wasnt impressed but then i realised the closer you look at it, the better it is, they arent superb intelligent, there of the correct intelliegence for what they are, zombie (low intelligence, no brains), combine (average intelligence, just grunts) etc

Fact is if you play a scene through twice it will rarely look the same

A.I is top notch for what it should be

*btw the above applies to doom 3 - someone at ID thought bout this, all of the monsters are zombies really, theres unlikely to have intelligence far exceeding expectations. All of you would have moaned a whole lot more if they added in super beings, humans, aliens with advanced intellgence because it's unfaithful to the series. Also imagine the zombies did hit behind boxes in the dark, used the shadows effectively, 90% of you guys would moan because of unrealistic A.I and hard gameplay)

Yeah Metrocops are pretty dense, but the other creatures I encountered have good AI, haven't met any real combines though.

there are so many different opinions on this... :S

I think the metro cops AI is pretty good, myself. They hide to reload, they switch positions if you are hitting them alot, and if you hide, they find advantageous areas to shoot at ya. Im playing on hard, of course.

Actually, I've been pretty impressed with the Combine AI. Mind you, I haven't gotten very far yet (Chapter 4) because I'm intentionally drawing out the game experince by taking lots of breaks. I don't want the game to end. :E

They have taken cover most of the time, and rarely done anything stupid other than charging me as I shoot at them, sometimes. I think the reviews are exaggerating the perceived "weakness" of the AI.

I haven't played the game yet....so plz answer my questions...
So how does AI react to the changed environment???

If you block the door with table... how do they react??
If you hold an object as shield... do they just keep shooting or they change their strategy?

Back