Discworld Baby Dragon

clarky003

Tank
Reaction score
I havn't posted much around here lately so I shall. A while back I thought it would be cool to put some of Paul Kidby's artwork into 3D (if your not familiar with the discworld novels he does the artwork).

Anyway I thought id share some of the new techniques I'm learning with this baby dragon (he still needs his collar, as he's a pet). The character still has to be rigged yet but I have 3 renders for yee.

render of the standard model for game engine purposes.
babydragon1.jpg

render with sub surface scattering.
babydragon_sss.jpg

render with sss + hdri
babydragon_ssshdri.jpg

I'm going to try and make more discworld stuff in the future since I want to do more complex characters as I get better, I'm also starting to practice with Z brush for that reason.

Everything shown is made and rendered in max.

Oooh awesome, get that baby rigged!

Did you texture that? It's quite good.

Yep, the texture took a while, skin references were from a rhino and an elephant.

It's not mod related no, it's just a piece of work I did in my spare time.

aww he is so cute and cuddly, can i have one for xmas? I'll look after it good i promis!

I think my fav render is the "in game" render, looks alot more dirty and grimy. I dont think the specular goes to well on the skin as the roughness of the texture makes the skin look as though it should be matt rather then shiney. But i still love him and im gunna steal him from you once you have rigged him so i can play :D

Back