Do the combine need their masks to stay alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarky003

Tank
Reaction score
they have masks, C17's general population dont,, surely it cant be radiation? or the rest of the population would be dead, dieing, or deformed. Im not exactley sure whats under that combine uniform, but I know for sure it isnt atall human.
Maybe a bio engineerd man? maybe a cyborg? , Anyone want to shed some clarity on the subject?

edit: lol just saw another thread that sort of touches on this, I didnt see it. but if you want to lock this, be my guest :E

They might be humans who are helping the aliens, alien sympathizers, etc and just don't want to be recognised by other people as being traitors, they would also prove useful in situations where suppresive gas is used.

They might be vampires

Rebel- "Look out, day-walkers!!"

They have no flesh exposed, even their visors are tinted to reduce ultra-violet light

thats an intresting one DEATH, hmm could their suits be plugged into there bodies?

maybe yes,maybe theyr suit are plugged to theyr body
is a good question
how the combines will look?
maybe they look like a skeleton whit grey flehs or something like that
or a alien aparence

i would think they are cyborgs and it helps them live, but maybe just to look fly

I think they are half alien and half human. They are the product of an alien spawning on a human. The suits just give them extra protection.

I reckon that they're probably some sort of genetically engineered super-soldier. The one in the tunnels vid jumps from rather high up...

i think they dont really need the masks to breathe. maybe theyre just used to intimidate, or appear more human(assuming theyre not, which im not too sold on).

Brian Damage said:
I reckon that they're probably some sort of genetically engineered super-soldier. The one in the tunnels vid jumps from rather high up...

good point brian, I think perhaps they would look all pale underneath, with like implants? dunno, thats the sortof image i get when I think about it. but still very much human looking. Perhaps their humans captured by the combine , and made into combine soldiers, like assimilation, maybe their just a product of the combine, who might be something completely different in origin.

Maybe it's so valve don't have to design any more facial models. Or maybe it has something to do with the psychological aspect of fighting against an army where every single soldier is identical in every way - sort of an unrelenting thing.

I'd say it's an easy solution to the problem to make every soldier have unique faces (very understandable). And they've probably made up a story that justifies those masks.

through the game do you even think we would ever get to see the combine , nude , if you will :p, I mean surely they dont wear those suits 24/7, ?, maybe we'll see it all at the combine Citadel?

I dunno, we never saw any marines out of uniform in HL1 (Unless you count the training course in Op4).

mayb they dont breath oxygon and the mask filters it all out

Maybe they breath pure Nitrogen and there isn't enough chewing gum to sustain the whole army? [natch]

i contend that it's the "stormtrooper effect" that Valve are going for. I believe Westwood did the same thing for the NOD soldiers in the C&C Renegades game. "Dehumanizing" they call it. A guy in a gas mask (like the SAS) has a dangerous anonimity that's damn intimidating. I'm sure it's also for the coolness factor, plus the fact they don't have to make a bunch of facial models.

If you're looking for a story-oriented explanation, I think that it could be anything from Alien Infection, to biological modifications, to cybernetics, to human/alien hybrids.

Exactly. Who cares what they look like underneath? The fact is they're just meant to look evil and scary.

Then again... Many marines in BM did wear gas masks, and I'm sure it's not just for fear of radioactivity because there were many marines that didn't wear gas masks. I agree on the fact it's out of mere intimidation and the "DeHumanizing" technique.

Well it can't be that they don't feel like making facial models, because in numerous interviews Gabe has described their technology that automatically blends pre-authored facial features together to create unique faces- That is how all of the resistance guys look different.

falconwind said:
i contend that it's the "stormtrooper effect" that Valve are going for. I believe Westwood did the same thing for the NOD soldiers in the C&C Renegades game. "Dehumanizing" they call it. A guy in a gas mask (like the SAS) has a dangerous anonimity that's damn intimidating. I'm sure it's also for the coolness factor, plus the fact they don't have to make a bunch of facial models.

If you're looking for a story-oriented explanation, I think that it could be anything from Alien Infection, to biological modifications, to cybernetics, to human/alien hybrids.

I totally agree :thumbs:

When I saw the Combine Soldiers and heard them at first, I immediately thought of the stormtroopers. I like the masks :D.

[edit]NO![edit]

don't click if you want to find out while playing the game.. a friend sent me this picture, *unconfirmed*

I haven't clicked that link, but I'm assuming it's what they look like without their armour and masks on? Please remove the link if it is ;x

infact **** it im closing this thread, thats twice its been abused. I'm gonna start throwing out official warnings if you people don't buck up your idea's :(

Read the forum rules, no screenshots and no spoilers from the stolen files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back