Do you think HL2 will "grab" you?

Viper118

Reaction score
Let me explain my question. When I first played HL1 and the whole train sequence began, I felt that I was distinctly involved in an experience like no other. It was not just another game. I was instantly "grabbed" by the story and totally involved from the beginning. With all the good games since HL1, do you think HL2 will be able to have the same effect on us?

Defianatley. I have 100% confidenceitll do exactly that.

itll be tough for valve to pull it off. i mean its like listening to a great record from a band, and while their next record is in reality just as good, its just not the same feeling. but i HOPE valve proves me wrong.

Actually that scene amazed me graphic wise but since I knew nothing of the game I thought it would be that way the entire game, I almost threw the demo cd out the window :p. I'm sure that HL2 will attach me to the game a lot more than any other game does, however, I am mostly looking forward to the multiplayer value of HL2 as I never really get into single player much. I will still probably beat the game atleast 2 times but that is not what draws me into the game the most.

Of course! The incredible graphics help, and with a quality storyline and 5 years of development behind it, HL2 is bound to "grab" anyone who plays it.

Originally posted by Viper118
Let me explain my question. When I first played HL1 and the whole train sequence began, I felt that I was distinctly involved in an experience like no other. It was not just another game. I was instantly "grabbed" by the story and totally involved from the beginning. With all the good games since HL1, do you think HL2 will be able to have the same effect on us?

lol i certainly hope so after all this hype.

I'm hoping it will... after all, the experience is what truly counts. I remember first playing MoH:AA on Christmas morning... the D-Day landing were truly incredible, it was an experience like no other... then I was playing spearhead and was fighting in a foggy winter forest... glanced out of my bedroom window for a moment, to see fog everywhere... sounds weird I know but it was an awesome day with lots of new experiences!

Accualy no, i think i have been to used to being "grabbed" nowdays. Ofcourse HL2 will rule like no other, but i dont think i will be so involved in the story i cant stop playing. Hl1 and Deus Ex are the only games that i have really fealt involved in the story.

I think HL2 needs to start off with more action then the original HL. Action sequences always "grab" me and immerse me in the game a lot quicker. Like if there's a big gun fight going on, I'll be more interested in playing.

I liked the beginning of Knights of the Old Republic. There was fighting going on, but just enough to get you used to playing the game, and not too much that it's frusterating to play. :)

yeah why not

im always up for some kinky shiat.

HL2 grabs me alright. :D

Attachments

• grab.jpg
    grab.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 292
lol i certainly hope so after all this hype.

What hype? The only hype out there for HL2 is self made. Valve isn't out there hyping their own game, you're hyping it yourself because you're expecting them to deliver a great game like the first one. Some would say that Valve's silence is a form of hyping the game, but I disagree. I think the only hype for the game is made by the fans.

LoL! Personally I thought that picture was absoloutely hilarious... but that's just me.

However yes, I do think HL2 will have that extra 'special' element of bringing you into the game through that kinda style.

it will be hard to pull it off again. because ok there will be the gr8 phsics, graphics and all that...BUT hl1 i didn't care for the graphics being good at the time or the good ai...it was the story i loved loads. hl2 i have alot of hope in them bringing another gr8 storyline.

I hope it grabs me and gives me a good stroke or two

;) :p

Originally posted by dis
I hope it grabs me and gives me a good stroke or two

;) :p

lol sick man...........i hope it does it to me to

Unless it is totally different for hl1 then I can't see how it can't.

Since story line and immersion were very important to the success of hl1's single player experience, I have no doubt VALVe will continue down that path and get us "into" the game quickly, and often.

I know some people were bored by the train ride at the start of hl1, but for me it was a very important part of the game and I truly hope they have something similar planned.

I have faith.

whats really gonna grab me is the kinds of maps i will be able to make along with destructible things. i will be all over that. so many possbilities with this engine compared to the unreal or q3 engines.

gabe said SDK would come before the game i hope that happens still.

The tram ride definately helped set the tone and character of the game.

I can't wait to see how they (hopefullly) do it again. Isn't the whole idea that you are in the City-17 situation and you don't have a clue what's happened in the last (1)5 years? how can the game start in a way to suck you in, but still leave you clueless. . . hmmm

Can't wait : D

Originally posted by poseyjmac
whats really gonna grab me is the kinds of maps i will be able to make along with destructible things. i will be all over that. so many possbilities with this engine compared to the unreal or q3 engines.

gabe said SDK would come before the game i hope that happens still.

you know it man!

i can't wait to make levels for this game. i love making levels.

make something that takes ages to make and then destroy.

Originally posted by Someone

I know some people were bored by the train ride at the start of hl1, but for me it was a very important part of the game and I truly hope they have something similar planned.

Me too...heck, this is possibly the most anticipated game of the year. They could make the opening scene 10 minutes of sitting there listening to the g-man ramble on about the job and we'd still be drooling on our keyboards.

I'm just worried they're going to turn the story up on its head a la The Matrix Reloaded and really piss me off. Hopefully they don't try to employ too many plot twists or surprises because too many can be a bad thing, e.g. The Matrix Reloaded and MGS2.

Edit: Yea, the train ride was a good thing for sure. Hope they have another great opener! Don't really understand why some didn't like it. It was kind of long, but nonetheless I really enjoyed it.

I'd love that :) but i think they will draw out what we need to do.
Probably give us a long term goal that gets sidetracked and added to by various things.

but will the longterm goal (get out of black mesa for for instance) come as soon as the game starts? Or after some sort of event (the ressonance cascade for instance).

I thought the beginning of HL was the best beginning to a game i've ever played. In all other FPS's i've seen you are someone who has volunteered for, or at least knows all about the situation you're in. The HL beginning of just being a regular guy, on the way to a regular job just struck me as so realistic. The same with the recorded announcement on the train. You get a gordons sense of 'oh we've heard all this before' and yet you're listening to the every word. Valve did a GREAT job of making Black Mesa a really realistic company to work for, and gordon a really realistic person to be.

I hope not. It would be weird if your game grews arms and grabbed you. It would uncomfortable.

I loved the train ride into black mesa. All the things going on out side of the tram made you feel like this was a real working facility. I dont play any other games so I can't really compare. Since VALVe has all the same writers and such working on hl2, I'm sure they'll pull of something that will wow us again.

it can grab me all it wants baby ;)

on a serious note, I think it will. Half life eally puts you in the middle of it all, its an awesome game. Even Brian Clevinger(8bit theater's author) agrees and was amazed at half life, and he doesn't like FPS games in general(or somehting like that, he didn't "get them").

More than that, I hope HL2 humps me up the ass like a gay cowboy.

Well, HL2 is 300% or more increased in storyline+technology over HL1, so

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssss

Originally posted by HawkEyesMihawk

mmmm, yeaaah, that sounds good! lol

Originally posted by HawkEyesMihawk

thank you for that visual imagery

without a doubt, from the moment i grab it at the store it will be grabbing back. a pseudo-sexual mutual grabbing relationship will more than likely follow for eternity

someone, somewhere already made the joke about the hole in the cd being too small, otherwise i'd make it here :\

oh yea...I can easily be pulled into games...
however U2 didn't do it...Shoot, even JK2 pulled me in!

Back