Doctor Gordon's 'Official’ Map Thread

D

DoctorGordon3

I have just finished work on my first hl2dm map. This is the first of many.

This one takes place in a Temple's courtyard, or at least what I imagine of one.

Basically, its a big arena map with low polygon counts so it shouldnt be laggy at all. Some boxes and stuff are scattered around for fun....its got health, weapons and armor...all ready to go. Even the crossbow is in here.

Screenshots:

Download it Here:
http://www.doctorchronicles.com/templev1.zip

A readme is included with instructions on how to install it.

I ask that you post any issues you might have and give comments or suggestions.

I’m running a server now with it; perhaps you want to join in

Not sure if this is the actual IP: 207.173.177.12:27011 (can someone verify how you find the ip of the server you are currently running?)

…or just start your own.

Thadius Dean said:
nice, ill go check out the server :D

Hopefully this is actually an internet game i started...i didnt see an option of whether to do LAN or net.

constructive criticism--more varied physics objects...the boxes look kinda out of place.

other than that, it looks fun.

Looks good, but the lighting could be worked on a bit better :)

Edgar said:

I know i know...I tried to put in an enviroment light, but then the map crashes when run. Gonna have to play around with that.

Edgar said:

Indeed, could look spectacular with better lighting. Possibly a sunset or something. :)

edit: /me runs

Cool, but a little dull and not enough stuff.

Can someone walk me through how to create a net server? I made 1 via create game before, but im still not sure if im running a LAN or net 1.

how come everyone is making maps that are symetrical? (sp?)

boring.... i mean, i dont have the skill to make these maps, but i mean, c'mon, put a little more effort into it....

ralfyboy said:
how come everyone is making maps that are symetrical? (sp?)

boring.... i mean, i dont have the skill to make these maps, but i mean, c'mon, put a little more effort into it....

Its not symetrical...on 1 side there is a huge ledge area with some halls. (not shown in screenshots)

Has anyone even played the map? Or is all this just from looking at the screenshots?

You may want to fix the "blandness" Maybe add a few more designs on the pillars and random objects everywhere, and wood piles stacked on the corners or something. But it was good, keep it up!

SkateXer99 said:
You may want to fix the "blandness" Maybe add a few more designs on the pillars and random objects everywhere, and wood piles stacked on the corners or something. But it was good, keep it up!

Good feedback there. Ty.

I've actually loaded it up and played a small sided TDM there and it is really fun, the pillars add a great gameplay dynamic, and the higher up areas offer some excellent sniping locations. This map actually allows for a variety of strategies, unlike Nova Prospekt and Overwatch, which basically is just non stop running and gunning, I know that's the point of DM, but gets a little bland aftertime. I had more fun doing TDM here than DM because you can actually play as a team and control the highground or cover your teammates from above with the crossbow. Aside from the lighting I think its a goodlooking map (albeit a bit simple). Overall a great map and I can't wait to see more, please post them here!

good stuff for a first map :thumbs:
like it has been mentioned before, might wanna add some design to the pillars.. maybe place some wooden boxes somewhere in there as well

anyway i'll be looking out for servers running this map :)

Dr. Freeman said:
good stuff for a first map :thumbs:
like it has been mentioned before, might wanna add some design to the pillars.. maybe place some wooden boxes somewhere in there as well

anyway i'll be looking out for servers running this map :)

Thanks

But, the question is how do i distribute this out to servers. :|

DoctorGordon3 said:
Thanks

But, the question is how do i distribute this out to servers. :|

try and get a couple of popular HL2 sites to host the map for u.. to give it exposer.
perhaps this site.. (talk to StarMonkey, Chris_D..one of the staff'ers) can help.. might wanna talk to the staff'ers over at HL2fallout.com as well.. anyway this is one way of spreading the map.

Dr. Freeman said:
try and get a couple of popular HL2 sites to host the map for u.. to give it exposer.
perhaps this site.. (talk to StarMonkey, Chris_D..one of the staff'ers) can help.. might wanna talk to the staff'ers over at HL2fallout.com as well.. anyway this is one way of spreading the map.

I emailed Munro about it. I'll try some other sites.

maybe instead of the grass there could be a small stream of water wiht blue tiles underneath =D??, looks good but yeah the pillars need a touch up. i dont have hl2 yet so i cant try it yet, but it looks like it would be awesome if it had the rpg in there (if you dont already) :D

also also also :D maybe a few pillars could me knocked down in a dominoes formation to acess a area where there could be a secret gun or sommin ;)

Well, I haven't loaded it up yet, but judging from the screenies, I'd guess it could be fun, but seems light on the objects, the textures are simplified (God, I hate aligning textures!), the lighting needs to be fixed, and is symetrical (Not that there's anything wrong with that).

Not bad at all for as quick as it came out. I have an idea for a map of my own, but to pull it off will take much more time and effort. I'd guess a minimum of 2 months of regular work split between 2-3 people. (Regular Work means after our normal jobs and around our HL2 gaming and other Real-Life activities).

I am tempted to redo an old Heretic map I created many years back. It was very sym. too. but lots of fun. Then again, things have progressed much since then, so it might just suck big time.

anyone thought about doing a dam level? like theres the top level and lower level?, thought it might be fun like everyone battling it out at the bottome and you blow em up from the top :D

Homercidal said:
Well, I haven't loaded it up yet, but judging from the screenies, I'd guess it could be fun, but seems light on the objects, the textures are simplified (God, I hate aligning textures!), the lighting needs to be fixed, and is symetrical (Not that there's anything wrong with that).

Not bad at all for as quick as it came out. I have an idea for a map of my own, but to pull it off will take much more time and effort. I'd guess a minimum of 2 months of regular work split between 2-3 people. (Regular Work means after our normal jobs and around our HL2 gaming and other Real-Life activities).

I am tempted to redo an old Heretic map I created many years back. It was very sym. too. but lots of fun. Then again, things have progressed much since then, so it might just suck big time.

I'll try fixing some of that stuff up....i was really rushed to get a new map out other than what was released by valve.

Heretic....good game.

Hmm...now that I took a closer look at it, you could improve on the mysterious temple theme by adding some black ominous thingamajiggy floating above it.

Or not.....:)

Nice map, simple but good. Someone make Complex from Goldeneye/Perfect Dark!

azz0r said:
How about some lighting?

The map crashed after i put a light_enviroment in then ran it (i think its called that).

I could try putting in a ton of normal lights...

Do something, it looks horrible.

Some nice aztec mood lighting would work well.

doctor. i'll have to try out your server tonight! maybe a thread on how to get started making maps? i have no clue what to do, i cant even make a damn box.

**sits atop throne**

Ok guys im thinking of making each of the pillar pieces 'physical'...so you can grab them with the gravity gun, or simply knock them down ontop of people.

Also i'll add some more details to the general architecture.

Any other suggestions? Any weapons need moving? health or armor in a new spot?

How about you can shoot them with the gravity gun and then they fall over after say 4 shoots.

Also you know in Half Life 2 when they pull down the video screen with breen on? When it lands it makes a mega smoke ball, could you replicate that?

just put a big goddamn strider in the middle, or better yet...have a button hidden somewhere, when its hit, it releases like 29384123851234850 combine soldiers.

azz0r said:
How about you can shoot them with the gravity gun and then they fall over after say 4 shoots.

Also you know in Half Life 2 when they pull down the video screen with breen on? When it lands it makes a mega smoke ball, could you replicate that?

Something like that was what i was thinking.

Yes i could replicate the smoke billow. Good idea actually...perhaps a button somewhere that smokes up the map for a few min.

Ryjalon5k said:
just put a big goddamn strider in the middle, or better yet...have a button hidden somewhere, when its hit, it releases like 29384123851234850 combine soldiers.

I'd like to keep it as a DM-centered map.

Back