Does HL2 Support Dual CPU?

F

fudfud

Hello every1, im new to this, im not sure were to post this, so here it goes...

Does anyone know if HL2 supports dual processors?

Dual AMD Athlon MP 2400+
2GB DDR Ram
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 (256MB)

Thanks in advance.

Im sorry..... I have no idea (im not sure if HL2 would need to support dual processors)

But man..... you've got one kick ass set up!

And yeah, this is the right forum. Welcome to Halflife2.net!

ps. I dont know much about Dual processors, what does having 2 processors do? Make it run faster, or more efficent?
I'm sure it couldn't hurt to have dual processors for hl2.

Best-case scenario: HL2 is almost completely multi-threaded (which would require either a total rewrite of the code, or intending it from the start).

Worst-case scenario: HL2 is almost completely single-threaded... which would, effectively, only let you use one of the processors.

It looks like it is going to be closer to the worst-case than the best-case. They said they probably weren't going to split everything into different threads when they were discussing support for HyperThreading. That also applies to dual processor systems, since the only big advantage to multiple processors is being able to do real multi-tasking. You probably won't see much of a speed boost... if it even works with HL2 at all.

I doubt they will be changing their minds on that issue because multi-processor systems are not typically used as gaming machines. They are usually for more processor-intensive things like highly detailed rendering, video editing, bsp compiling (which will probably have multi-processor support), etc.

Yea and HL2 won't really need much more CPU power, a 2.4 and a 3.2 are going to get about get about the same performance if they're on the exact same system. The major point is the GPU, Graphic Processing unit, which HL2 really relys on.

So based on that i doubt they'd really have a reason to set it up to support dual processors, no real need for the CPU power.

The hardware survey of Steam did check for single or dual cpu's. But since less than a percent have dual processors, I think Valve won't spend a lot of time making sure it's faster on dual cpu.
But I think it will just work without errors.

Anyone notice that the data that survey collected were largely wrong? It got a couple things wrong about my system, don't remember which though...

Mine said i was actually logged on through a toaster oven, which was horribly wrong. Clearly I was running steam on a george forman grill.

Bump...heh..makes me want to email gabe about this issue

At first I thought his topic said "support dual monitors?" hehe
I've been dealing with adding on an ATI AIW PCI adapter with a 3rd monitor. I've had it working before in a configuration with a GF4 4200 but can't get it to work right with my 6800GT. Either the TV app doesn't work with all 3 monitors up and running or it works but only with the PCI adapter active.

Anyway, no Dual CPU support. That is hard to program and with little benefits for current games. There are other thinks higher on the list with bigger gains and easier to manage.

Has there been confirmation that there will be multiple threads in bsp compiles?

Back