Does valve/vivendi realize they're going to lose sells by delaying it?

Stiler

Reaction score
I know a few people who would gladly go out and buy the single player version if valve released it anytime soon.

However with the recent (though still no word from valve) delay news many of these kind of people will simply be tired of waiting and will simply take a trip to juarez.

I think it would be best for both us and valve if they released the SP only version asap and simply delayed the multiplayer version for the re-writting of the code.

I know i wouldn't really have a problem buying the multilayer version later when it's released.

Actually i do think they will loose sells by this...

One thing is for sure if they do delay until April next year, I got
to tell you there are some really nice FPS that are going to
be worth checking out other than HL2.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Looks kick a$$

Doom 3 - well i don't have to say much about it, we all know it will kick some a$$.

If I would guess just by delaying the game that the sells of the game
will be reduced by 30%.

They will! Hardcore gamers, no, maybe not. But Hardcore gamers dont make up their entire market. Only a small percentage. It's the general demographic that makes up almost 90% of all market shares. Not the "Die Hards".

I'm sure they ****ing know, and so does the publisher. They gotta do what they gotta do.

Why do people post this shit everytime a game is late.

Raplhus people shit because when a company tells you over and over they are going to make a date then later they don't, it is a big let down etc...

Think about all the people who went out and updated their machines for a game that was suppose to be out the 30th... atleast that is what Gabe told us 100 times.

Originally posted by ravenkil
Actually i do think they will loose sells by this...

One thing is for sure if they do delay until April next year, I got
to tell you there are some really nice FPS that are going to
be worth checking out other than HL2.

Doom 3 - well i don't have to say much about it, we all know it will kick some a$$.

If I would guess just by delaying the game that the sells of the game
will be reduced by 30%.

yeah whered you pull that number from

they will definitely lose sales from the people who perhaps had a mild interest in the game, had their fill of the various maps after 3 months w/the beta, and don't really want to play multiplayer.

The people who perhaps would be "itching" to go run out and buy it, will perhaps instead wait for a friend to finish beating the game, then borrow it from them, because they already know what most of the game looks like.

This is a total hype and is a good thing for valve's free marketing. It is totally making the game more potentially interesting. People all over the world now wanna know what is hl2.

Good product like this should be boosted it to the core.

imo

Feel the same way as kanette, who is still gonna care about al this when the game is out and everyone is shouting its the best gamer ever?

You people need to pay attention, MP is done!!! gdit how many times does Gabe need to say it? SP is what they are still working on ffs.

Originally posted by Stiler
I think it would be best for both us and valve if they released the SP only version asap and simply delayed the multiplayer version for the re-writting of the code.
My thoughts exactly.

And anybody who doesn't believe another delay could hurt Valve with lost sales is naive. It may not have a huge impact on their profit margain, but I'm certain it would be a noticeable one.

lol! they'll probably GAIN sales from this. Lose sales? who are you kidding? you KNOW your gonna buy it no matter what you say.

If they lose sales any where it will hardcore gamers who know how to pirate. Casual gamers aren't part of the community and don't really care as much as we do when there is a delay. And they sure as hell don't know how to pirate...so they will buy the game when it is released.

Originally posted by Ralphus
I'm sure they ****ing know, and so does the publisher. They gotta do what they gotta do.

Why do people post this shit everytime a game is late.

Originally posted by manny_c44
If they lose sales any where it will hardcore gamers who know how to pirate. Casual gamers aren't part of the community and don't really care as much as we do when there is a delay. And they sure as hell don't know how to pirate...so they will buy the game when it is released.

that, and that they defenitely want to try to release it before xmas to get the random sales to people trying to buy something cool for their kid...it might be like a damn tickle-me-elmo or something...

y'know...mom's all lining up to get one for their clueless kid.

Quarter 3 2004 at the earliest.

Quarter 2 204

"Does valve/vivendi realize they're going to lose sells by delaying it?"

Great horny-toed lizards batman. We'd better spam Gabe's email with this shocking revelation immediately. I doubt within all of Valve AND Vivendi there's anyone who thought of such a startling idea.

Originally posted by Necro
lol! they'll probably GAIN sales from this. Lose sales? who are you kidding? you KNOW your gonna buy it no matter what you say.
I never said I wasn't going to buy it. But I seriously believe that a lot of people who would have otherwise purchased it have gotten their fill of Half-Life 2 thanks to the leaked beta, and as more complete builds surface in the coming months (and they will), even more people will be able to scratch their Half-Life 2 itch without Valve seeing a dime of their money.

the game will sell millions no matter what else is released FPS

Half life is still the best FPS - it set a benchmark that nobody has yet surpassed. It has also brought us the best mods in counter strike.

Your telling me somethings going to beat it? I dont think so.
The only thing that might comes close is DNF and at the moment thats vaporware.

Doom 3 will be amazing. HL2 beater, i dont think so.

And to top all that off what other game has generated as much interest as this one?

Originally posted by Rice-Rocketeer
Maybe they can't release it, because IT'S NOT DONE.

i didn't say release it NOW, i said asap (as soon as possible).

I think that is what their goal is, but didn't you hear? The source code got leaked! As soon as possible is not as soon as it used to be.

Well, considering almost all video games are delayed before release, you decide

its a fact in a consumer based economy that products that are delayed have lower sales figures when released. hardcore gamers(mostly ppl like us on forums) will buy the game no matter when it comes out. but a large percentage of sales are from the casual gamer. maybe some bored gamers looking for something new but mainly ppl like aunts and uncles who want to get the nephew something cool for xmas. they walk into the store see hl2 all over ask the store keeper if its good, he says yes then they buy it. but now they just gonna buy other games

They will not lose sales. They will only lose the profit of that fiscal quarter.

Vivendi's had a dismal year this year, and this delay won't help it. I doubt Vivendi will exist in the next couple of years. ;)

vivendi isn't dum. They know they're gonna still make money.

Originally posted by silent
vivendi isn't dum. They know they're gonna still make money.

And lose all their shareholders. HL2 is/was Vivendi's last hope for the year. Oh, there goes HL2, and there goes the shareholders, sell sell sell. :dork:

This is stupid logic... Most people that wanted HL2... Are going to buy it when it comes out.

Thats stupid to be like... "OMG The game I wanted so bad is now delayed, Thats stupid, I'm not going to buy it now, even though it will be really awesome I refuse to buy an awesome game because it was delayed."

You'd be surprised the effects a 6 month delay can have on the sales of a game.

You say it is stupid logic. Look around you. Mainstream game = more fans = more people with "stupid" logic.

dum-da-da-dum!

captainobvious.jpg

IF they miss the holiday season, have to compete with other big FPS titles, and the game isn't the newest shiniest thing on the market, of course they're gonna lose sales.

Originally posted by BlumenKohl
And lose all their shareholders. HL2 is/was Vivendi's last hope for the year. Oh, there goes HL2, and there goes the shareholders, sell sell sell. :dork:

I sure wouldn't mind :)

Back