Don't expect any press releases from Vivendi

Feath

Reaction score
Somebody mentioned on this forum that Vivendi are going to post a press release regarding the Half-Life 2 release date later tonight. I think this is unlikely.

Why? Because this will be the first press release from Vivendi regarding Half-Life 2.

If you go to this page: http://www.vugames.com/corporate_news.do?quarter=2&year=2003 you can read all of Vivendi's previous press releases regarding games. Half-Life 2 is not mentioned at all (You would at least expect to see 'Half-Life 2" announced). Even if you visit the press release regarding E3 (where Half-Life 2 was Game of the Show) there is no mention of Half-Life 2. http://www.vugames.com/news_story.do?storyId=131

My point is: The Valve/Vivendi relationship is not the same as other developer/publisher relationships. I've already read (no source, sorry) that Valve is handling all the marketing and stuff to do with Half-Life 2. Also, as recent as Halflife2.net's interview Gabe refers to Valve's partnership with Vivendi. This parnetship is only needed so Valve can get physical copies of Half-Life on the shelves.

Vivendi isn't in control of Valve, I doubt they have much say regarding the release date, so any quotes from Valve take precedent over quotes from Vivendi.

Argh, i realy hoped they would have a press release.

Like with the original Half-Life, I think it'll be up to Valve to tell us when the game has gone gold. With HL, Gabe just sent out an e-mail that said the game went gold, and that was it. Nothing fancy.

Originally posted by Feath
Somebody mentioned on this forum that Vivendi are going to post a press release regarding the Half-Life 2 release date later tonight. I think this is unlikely.

Why? Because this will be the first press release from Vivendi regarding Half-Life 2.

If you go to this page: http://www.vugames.com/corporate_news.do?quarter=2&year=2003 you can read all of Vivendi's previous press releases regarding games. Half-Life 2 is not mentioned at all (You would at least expect to see 'Half-Life 2" announced). Even if you visit the press release regarding E3 (where Half-Life 2 was Game of the Show) there is no mention of Half-Life 2. http://www.vugames.com/news_story.do?storyId=131

My point is: The Valve/Vivendi relationship is not the same as other developer/publisher relationships. I've already read (no source, sorry) that Valve is handling all the marketing and stuff to do with Half-Life 2. Also, as recent as Halflife2.net's interview Gabe refers to Valve's partnership with Vivendi. This parnetship is only needed so Valve can get physical copies of Half-Life on the shelves.

Vivendi isn't in control of Valve, I doubt they have much say regarding the release date, so any quotes from Valve take precedent over quotes from Vivendi.

ur so leet shut up

aaaah good ol' creepwood who claimed he works for and i quote "half life 2 company" ok i misquoted slightly.

Wasn't expecting one, but the Inquirer article is nice to see.

Re: Re: Don't expect any press releases from Vivendi

Originally posted by threepwood
ur so leet shut up

Completely off topic:

someone help me out here....
I don't understand geekspeak. Someone please tell me wtf is leet, l33t, hax0r etc?

No, I am serious.

some stupid language crackers made up.

1337 = leet, originally from elite

h4x0r = hacker. see the numbers look vaguely like letters. 4 = A etc

thats the very basics. a "language" typically used by morons to disguise their inability to spell and form coherant sentences.

Originally posted by frances_farmer
some stupid language crackers made up.

1337 = leet, originally from elite

h4x0r = hacker. see the numbers look vaguely like letters. 4 = A etc

thats the very basics. a "language" typically used by morons to disguise their inability to spell and form coherant sentences.

frances_farmer: Thank you. I couldn't figure out what the hell a hacksore was.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
That is the reasoning behind my name. I also thouhgt that it would be funny to say that I suck while playing against all the people who use 1337 5P34K. Please tell me that some finds a small bit of humor in my name....please.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

And I get warned for not saying productive stuff?
Guys here couldn't moderate their way out of a wet paper bag.

Anyway, I think that it is pretty obvious that VALVe and Vivendi aren't too close when Vivendi blabs every 2 seconds about HL-2 being delayed.

Originally posted by FoB_Ed
1 r 73h 0w/\/Z0rZ!

Okay. I are the onzorz?

It's not so bad anymore, but there was a time you could barely log into a forum that used proper english. I hope this kind of slang goes bye bye real soon.

Anywho... getting wayyyy off topic here....

I am hopeful for a press release from Vivendi, but I really wonder if we will hear of one at all. Valve has been incredibly quiet about a lot in this game. Maybe it will just show up on store shelves on the 30'th. Has anyone seen that before? I haven't noticed, but then again, there aren't as many games as highly anticipated as this one.

I always thought you used a h4x0r to cut through metal.

Maybe not...

I'm just waiting for any kind of going gold anouncement from either Valve / Vivendi. I'll feel much happier when a statement from either company is given.

Funny Feath. 2001 is my favorite movie and Kubrick's best work, even better than A Clockwork Orange. Anyway, you're being stupid on purpose, right? nonleethal < its sort of an amalgamation of 1337 5P34K and phonetic spelling. It may not be funny but at least it's original damn it!

Originally posted by N0N1337H41
Funny Feath. 2001 is my favorite movie and Kubrick's best work, even better than A Clockwork Orange. Anyway, you're being stupid on purpose, right? nonleethal < its sort of an amalgamation of 1337 5P34K and phonetic spelling. It may not be funny but at least it's original damn it!

Erm, yeah. That was it! I was being stupid on purpose.

Ha ha! Go me.

Anyway, back on topic. Because Vivendi aren't as important usual for a publish maybe Valve hasn't been in contact with them as much as they're used to.

Hence "Valve have yet to confirm a date with us" and other silly Vivendi Comments.

Originally posted by schweppes
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

And I get warned for not saying productive stuff?
Guys here couldn't moderate their way out of a wet paper bag.

Anyway, I think that it is pretty obvious that VALVe and Vivendi aren't too close when Vivendi blabs every 2 seconds about HL-2 being delayed.
And then... he was banned...

Yuo is teh suck0rz <---- I prefer this type of retard language myself.

if theres a press release, ill laugh in your face :) but if not, ill praise you on irc for the psycodelic mrs cleo psychic-ness powers you have ;)

Originally posted by x84D80Yx
if theres a press release, ill laugh in your face :) but if not, ill praise you on irc for the psycodelic mrs cleo psychic-ness powers you have ;)

Well, I'd be the first to admit I'd make a mistake but a lot of evidence seems to point to Vivendi not being as important as usual for a publisher.

Back