Doom 3 and ATi cards (Artifacts!)

bosox188

Tank
Reaction score
Doom 3 came out today, and I've checked the ign boards and some other forums, and all these people with ATi cards are getting artifacts in D3, even though they're not overclocking. Most of the complaints are from 9800 pro owners, but I've seen some reports of people with 9500 pros or 9600s and their card was permanantly damaged from it. Haven't seen any of these complaints from X800 owners which is good news, but as a warning DO NOT OVERCLOCK YOUR CARD IN DOOM3! The problem was solved by underclocking a little, most people only had to underclock 5mhz which is no big deal but just to warn everybody, overclocking would be dangerous.

I've had to underclock my 9800 Pro from stock (378/338) to 367/333 - not really a big problem, but it's still rather annoying.

why are the artifacts appearing... it cant be the gfx card getting too hot can it? or is it bad coding?

a bit of a coincidence (spelling?) how its happening to ati cards and not nvidia

Are there any people who arent having problems with the 9800 pro?. If most are getting artifacts on stock setting i think its awful. id should have sorted compatability issues like this out long ago.. also many people dont have a clue how to overclock/underclock, and they shouldnt consider this as a soloution to the problem... id need to sort this out..

If the artifacts that they are mentioning are little black squares, then yes i've seen them on my 9700 pro.

I'm not getting any artifacts with my 9800 pro, but if vsync isn't enabled the tearing is awful :/

Some have mentioned white dots as well. Doom 3 really pushes the cards farther than any other game has, but really I'm wondering why none of the nvidias are having problems, not even the FX series or MX.

MaxiKana said:
If the artifacts that they are mentioning are little black squares, then yes i've seen them on my 9700 pro.

damn, I own one too :hmph:

6800 GT delivery hurry up!

I also get frequent lockups, but that might be due to my version of the game.

9800 pro here, clocks at stock - the board is a standard ATI reference model (same as a few retail models, the red board + small metal HSF)

No artifacts or problems at all with Doom3 - have good case ventilation though.

What settings etc are you 9800pro owners running Doom 3 at?? What i mean is how hard are you pushing them?

Fletch said:
What settings etc are you 9800pro owners running Doom 3 at?? What i mean is how hard are you pushing them?

I'm running my water-cooled, overclocked (450/700) 9800Pro 128MB at 1024x768, high detail (all effects on, V-sync off) no AA, no AF and am getting an average of around 35-40fps, though in places it does drop briefly to around 15fps.

After about 30-45 mins running at o/c speeds, i do get artifacts (in the form of white dots). At stock speeds i don't really get a noticeable drop in framerates, and the artifacts are gone - i guess id was right about overclocking your hardware for D3.

i hope my stock 9700pro doesn't have these probs. I'm stuck with it for a few months till i get a job for some upgrade money.

You think this is Doom 3 specific, or will all next gen titles produce these problems? - eg HL2

I had major problems with my overclocked radeon 9800pro oc'd to (415/365), I got that snow effect everywhere. Once I set it back to the default speed they dissapeared. I'm hoping that once I instal the 4.9 cat beta's I can overclock it without getting any graphical abnormalities.

Well, Carmack said D3 uses some transistors on the graphics card never used before in a game. And that artifacting could occur..

I haven't had any issues really, past my 9700 being OCed to Pro, I was getting artifacts. I dropped the core down by 20MHz (to 310), and now it runs beautifully. Get about the same framerate too..

So yes, I ran into problems while overclocked. Stock worked fine, and I can still overclock (and am) just fine.

No problems here (9800 Pro)... Maybe it's a heat issue? I'm using a VGA Silencer...

Heh, I get getting hard crashes when playing the game.... then I upped my vdimm from 2.7v to 2.8v, and i'm perfectly fine now :p Gotta keep it at 2-3-3-11. :)

got a radeon 9800, no artifacts for me.. havent seen one thing that was wierd, exept upsidedown spider heads.. :p

Back