Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 Assets Possibly Used in STALKER

DevgruSeal

Reaction score
I did a quick search, saw nothing regarding the subject.

Have you heard about this?

Shacknews said:
This week, threads have started showing up on various forums containing what appears to be evidence that GSC Game World's recently released shooter S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl makes use of a number of graphical assets taken directly from commercially released games such as Valve's Half-Life 2 and id Software's Doom 3. Many forum posters are speculating that the assets were used without authorization.

Source:
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46449

I pretty much thought it was cool they put a tribute into STALKER (Gordon's PDA) -- Which I haven't found yet =(

Even though it didn't exactly follow along with Half-Life's storyline...

And that it's the same name as a Half-Life 2 character :p I'm going to go ahead and say that GSC likes VALVe.

The water effects are definalty the same even the file names maybe they payed Valve to let them use it i don't think they could be that stupid to steal it.

The water effects are definalty the same even the file names maybe they payed Valve to let them use it i don't think they could be that stupid to steal it.

Weren't Crytek in the shizzle a while back for using pirated software? Or was that another developer I'm thinking of?

I thought those water effects looked familiar. Maybe they just used the same program to create them, that's why they look somewhat the same. And the filename? coincidence...

I thought those water effects looked familiar. Maybe they just used the same program to create them, that's why they look somewhat the same. And the filename? coincidence...

Very unlikely for example some of the Doom 3 files names have names of there enemies such as the imp yet Stalker has them with the same names. From what i heard they were used as placeholders cause apparely in the beta version they used Counter Strike weapon noise mybe they forgot to take these out.

Very unlikely for example some of the Doom 3 files names have names of there enemies such as the imp yet Stalker has them with the same names. From what i heard they were used as placeholders cause apparely in the beta version they used Counter Strike weapon noise mybe they forgot to take these out.
They 'forgot' to take them out.

the good thing is that none of the suck inherent in Doom 3 made it's way into Stalker ..for this we must be thankful

Pretty sure STALKER used to have Counter-Strike sounds as placeholders. Wouldn't surprise me if there were placeholder textures and models as well. Perhaps they just forgot a few of them.

And forgot to replace the placeholders, and keep the existing code for it? :p

Sounds like Valve and id should take legal action!...

Or should they do something a little more constructive and continue working on their projects?

It's not like the coders/animators/... are gonna have to deal with it. It will mostly be the lawyers doing the work.

As far as I know the cs sounds were free, you only had to pay for them if you were asking money for the game, but no one really knows anymore who owns the sounds.

And the texture were probably bought in a texture pack.

As far as I know the cs sounds were free, you only had to pay for them if you were asking money for the game, but no one really knows anymore who owns the sounds.

And the texture were probably bought in a texture pack.

STALKER is a game which you buy. (Bolded.) Thus your statement is wrong. :D

Come on folks, let's keep building this molehill into everest. *sigh*

That's pretty insane, but I can name a shit ton of games that use the same sounds of another game....don't know about the water, but meh.

is the media from sdks free for non-commercial use ? . if thats so then it guess it would be ok for them to use the assets as placeholders .

I didn't notice anything similar enough to think it was taken, including the water. I honestly thought it was better than Doom 3s but not as good as Half Life 2s. The shadows reminded me of Doom 3, but that's because they worked. I saw a blind dog running past an anomaly at night. It lit up and while the dog was running past, you could see its shadow in form, amplitude, and motion accurately track by until the light was gone. Nice! It's like they took shadow/lighting lessons from Doom 3 and put them in a large outdoor environment. I also didn't notice similar sounds for the pistols because I don't use them - not worth their weight on your person.

if you read the article you can see that the water map and the light textures are exact copies.

I do remember the alpha using CS sounds, but this surprises me.

Not that I'm going to enjoy the game any less though :D

Despite at least one nay-sayer in this thread, I really like this game.

I wonder when someone is going to look into this on the proffesional level. . .

Back