Doom 3 expansion... shamelessly rips off HL2.

Pharaoh builds Pyramid! Wheel invented!

This is really old news.

They are ripping it off, but in a way I think "THATS GOOD!"

Yeah, its a ripoff but I think everyone knew that it was coming eventually. Im a huge fan of the DOOM series and I think that its pretty low for them to copy it exactly. Oh well. What can you do? :p

It is old, but common seriously, if the "Grabber" does the same things as the Manipulator thats going to be sad. If you can't think of a weapon by yourself for a video game, well, that is also sad. The whole *gravity gun* thing was a great idea and you figure people would have "different" ideas for it for future games. Half-Life 2's Manipulator is only the beginning, it's something to build off of.

This is just an idea of mine, but I was thinking of a gravity weapon that works differently. All you do is shoot an enemy with an electric bolt, then every "moveable" object in the area (within a certain radius) will fly towards em and crush em. Sort of a magnetic effect, eh? What do you think? :p

It made me giggle to see how the article managed to mention the "Grabber" with a metaphorical straight face, and without managing to insert snide references to HL2.

wow, use the search function.

halflife 2... shamelessly rips off aliens.

you can point the finger every way.

Yeah, nobody seems to come up with their own ideas these days.
Pretty much everything has been done before.

Still, DOOM 3 will never be better than HL2.

Wow, the manipulator being used in Doom 3's crappy physics :p

Spoonoop said:
It is old, but common seriously, if the "Grabber" does the same things as the Manipulator thats going to be sad. If you can't think of a weapon by yourself for a video game, well, that is also sad. The whole *gravity gun* thing was a great idea and you figure people would have "different" ideas for it for future games. Half-Life 2's Manipulator is only the beginning, it's something to build off of.

This is just an idea of mine, but I was thinking of a gravity weapon that works differently. All you do is shoot an enemy with an electric bolt, then every "moveable" object in the area (within a certain radius) will fly towards em and crush em. Sort of a magnetic effect, eh? What do you think? :p

The game Pariah already beat you to it.

isn't Half-Life2 at least credited with coming up with the manipulater? i mean, c'mon... they at least invented *that*. it's an original idea... just about the first original idea since... uh... the wheel i geuss.

yeah the grabber gun sounds really lame, and with doom 3 there isnt much of an enviroment to manipulate...unless you count a few cans and boxes as an enviroment.

I tried Doom 3 with the Gravity Gun mod, and it sucked big time. If that expansion has the same cramped-corridors-style level desinging, that Grabber will be totally useless. Ugh. And I wonder how the physics will work... grenades are so stupid in Doom 3, they bounce like they were made of rubber.

Oh come on, this is a good thing. If it makes Doom any more fun to play then I'm all bloody for it and so should you all be! Surely applying concepts to different areas of gameplay increases the potential for fun situations.

Well, for all the "old news" stuff, it's still news to some of us who don't read all the news. Like me. :E

It's kind of difficult to call Id Software for ripping off a weapon in a first-person shooter when all first-person shooters are ripping off Id Software's Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake to some extent by their very existence.

I think we can cut Id Software some slack. :)

I don't see why ID being inspired (copying) the concept of a grabber/gravity gun is a problem - developers taking ideas from other games is the only way the FPS genre is going to move forward and isn't that what everyone wants?

I don't think this applies. They were pretty much generic weapons; rifles, pistols, what have you that have real world counterparts and patterns behind them that could be followed into making most computer game weapons. The gravity gun was a completely new, unique weapon to Half life 2 - it simply has no place in any other games, the notion of it was created for Half life 2 [I believe], and it has no place especially in Doom 3. ID has sunk to a new low in my eyes.

doomed - uk said:
Well, for all the "old news" stuff, it's still news to some of us who don't read all the news. Like me. :E

It's kind of difficult to call Id Software for ripping off a weapon in a first-person shooter when all first-person shooters are ripping off Id Software's Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake to some extent by their very existence.

I think we can cut Id Software some slack. :)

I agree totally with this idea. Also DOOM 3 isnt a bad game it has some real good points. They just didnt live up to the hype every gaming magazine heaped upon them so they got flamed by haters.

As far as copying, those Antlions sure have a strong resemblance to the bugs in Starship Troopers, I aint complaining about that it sure was fun to blast them while pretending to be in the movie.

Anytime developers take the time to improve a game is always a good thing. As much as I love HL2 its not the only game I'll ever play so if the industry keeps upping the ante its good for all gamers.

JNightshade said:
(at least they could've come up with a decent name for it)
Well, calling it "the Manipulator" would have been a bit too obvious.

Ahahahahahaaaa. You know what internet kids? It's okay. If it's old news, you can just move on to the next thread without replying because you obviously already know. No need to display your l33tn355. I don't think anyone in either the real or internet world is impressed by the fact that you knew something before this guy did.

Well, if they have to rip-off something from Half-Life 2, it might as well be the Gravity-Gun. That's one of the best things in the game. :p

That's a grappling hook. That's NOT what the manipulator is.

Teta_Bonita said:
Well, if they have to rip-off something from Half-Life 2, it might as well be the Gravity-Gun.
Maybe they'll rip-off Half-Life 2's quality gameplay while they're at it. That would make it all worthwhile. But knowing id, they'll figure out some way of turning the manipulator into a dull and uninteresting gimmick.

Doom 3 was a flop, they hope to save it by stealing a great idea from another game. Car Mack needs to go build some rockets, thats all hes good at afterall.

I wouldn't say it was flop. In fact, I believe it sold quite well and can be fun to play. It simply didn't live up to the hype that it generated.

Back