Doom 3 expansion to have rip-off of HL2's gravity gun.

**CENSORED**

Reaction score
According to Computer Gaming World magazine, it's called the "Grabber", and can "allow you to hold and launch just about any imaginable object in the game."

My first thought was "What a rip-off!." But this might not be such a bad thing. I'm all for having a gravity gun in every game! :)

Allow you to hold and launch just about any imaginable object in the game.
Maybe by object, they also mean enemies!
:D:D:D
They didn't say inanimate objects.

Well china
You can do that in HL2

well u know what they say... "immatation is the greatest compliment" or well something like that.. ;)

And compared to Half-Life 2... Doom III didn't have all that many objects...

I was pretty suprised they so blatantly ripped off hl2 when I read this in my issue of EGM like yeah... that's tact nice physics "grabber" Id... ugh.

Sh4mp00 said:
I was pretty suprised they so blatantly ripped off hl2 when I read this in my issue of EGM like yeah... that's tact nice physics "grabber" Id... ugh.
I wasn't. It's less a compliment than a complete and utter ass-kissing, feet-licking subservience and acknowledgment of a smaller e-pensai.

Pft, Timesplitters 3 ripped it off first. :D

The problem is that the manipulator is designed to interact with the physics world.

Here, the id is trying to create an entire physics world to interact with one weapon. Changing the basic structure of the game just to rip off Half-Life 2 is not a grand idea, and should have suitably sucky results.

What is there to pick up in Doom 3? Small bottles, chairs, real crap like that. Doom 3 runs bad enough for me without having objects flying around the screen.

What a stupid rip off.

Hey, you never know they make put in some more physics objects, even larger this time around.

But yeah, if this rumour is true, id software really is losing it's creativity...

Is the gravity gun concept Valve's intellectual property? If not, why are you against other games having it? Wouldn't that be more fun?

Proves even more ID is loosing there touch (or getting to old)
doom 3 got medicore reviews becuase unorginal gameplay.

with this they are just screwing there selfs

Well you know nothing scares a demon more than flying garbage :rolleyes:

Doom 3 looked pretty nice but the gameplay sucked imo.

Well.... it's not like Doom 3 wasn't a complete rip-off from other games (System Shock, HL and more) so this shouldn't come as a surprise... :rolleyes:

CrazyHarij said:
Is the gravity gun concept Valve's intellectual property? If not, why are you against other games having it? Wouldn't that be more fun?

Agreed.

But it would have been cooler if id had done this a little later than hl2's immediate release.

http://www.planetdoom.com/

Monday, November 15, 2004

Gravity Gun Mod 12 Comments
10:59 PST | Cyric
Not to be outdone by Half Life 2's "Manipulator", Bastian has created a mod for DOOM 3 which implements a "gravity gun" to pick up, move, throw and whatever else you want to do, to objects, items and enemies found throughout the DOOM 3 game. Although the objects you pick up can't can be used as weapons, it is a whole bunch of fun tossing them around.

This version 2.0 of the gravity gun has a a totally new weapon model along with new animations to boot. Sound nifty? sure does! Head on over to fileplanet to give this bad boy a try right away!

Its a mod people. I dont think id ever said anything like that about the expansion. Oh and btw the expansion isnt made by id its only watched over by them.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48942&page=3&pp=15

Page 3 has the pics.

whot, theres was a correction on the page: " Although the objects you pick up CAN be used as weapons"

well, I dont mind if they have a similar weapon as HL2. You can at least pick up enemies with it in Doom3 :p

Prince of China said:
You can launch living enemies at other enemies?
Wow!

HL2 spoiler:
you can in HL2 as well. the second to last level; begins with all your weapons getting destroyed by some feild, but instead of destroying the manipulator it accidently infuses it with lots and lots of power... man ive never had so much fun chucking combine soldiers at each other. you can even rip the computers off the walls... :p

Toffee said:
whot, theres was a correction on the page: " Although the objects you pick up CAN be used as weapons"

well, I dont mind if they have a similar weapon as HL2. You can at least pick up enemies with it in Doom3 :p

You can in hl2 also just keep playing the game

DAMN! you MADE me read the spoilers, thanks alot!

Toffee said:
DAMN! you MADE me read the spoilers, thanks alot!

HAHAHHA! it was my plan all along to intice you with the words "HL2 spoiler"!!! that was the thing that made you want to read it wasnt it?

another spoiler:
at the end you find out that gordon freeman is the BROTHER of the master cheif from halo2 :O the next game valve are making is Halo - life 3, in which gordon and the master cheif combine their fina chapters to work together to beat the combinenant. and the Gman is the leader of the combineant.

Suicide42 said:
HAHAHHA! it was my plan all along to intice you with the words "HL2 spoiler"!!! that was the thing that made you want to read it wasnt it?

another spoiler:
at the end you find out that gordon freeman is the BROTHER of the master cheif from halo2 :O the next game valve are making is Halo - life 3, in which gordon and the master cheif combine their fina chapters to work together to beat the combinenant. and the Gman is the leader of the combineant.

very funny :hmph:
I´m just curious by nature. :p

I don't get what the problem is. The grav gun was a lot of fun so if it's put in other games all the better.

It's also a pretty natual evolution to weapons that came along with game physics. You know, I'm sure there's a game out there that was the first one to ever use a shotgun too. But I don't see anyone complaining about other games using it now. In the game industry ideas get borrowed and reused all the time.

lans said:
Agreed.

But it would have been cooler if id had done this a little later than hl2's immediate release.

yeah because now it looks like ID rushed to match what HL2 has...it looks like a cheap stunt this early after release.. but as Neutrino said, pple shouldn't have a problem with this generally.. and i don't.

it should make other games interesting and fun.. possibly :dork:

The problem appears when something becomes the norm, and even what developers rely on to make a game good. They use tried and tested ideas to make the game sell, and as you can see with EA and its endless line of sports games...it begins to get tiresome and very monotonous after a while.

Dr. Freeman said:
yeah because now it looks like ID rushed to match what HL2 has...it looks like a cheap stunt this early after release.. but as Neutrino said, pple shouldn't have a problem with this generally.. and i don't.

it should make other games interesting and fun.. possibly :dork:

Please read the other posts... it's a mod and NOT made by id.

Fizznix said:
Please read the other posts... it's a mod and NOT made by id.

He is not talking about that gravity gun mod for Doom 3.

They are making a totally new weapon called "grabber" for the Doom 3 expansion pack.

I'm not against it, as I think that weapon was an awesome idea, however, id should at least release the expansion pack well after HL2 is forgotten, so that it doesn't look like a rip-off.

Dalamari said:
This just in, John Carmack sucks

Why exactly do you say so?

He's just an engine maker, the man is a genius. He is not behind the development of games, neither is he part of the creative crew, so why should he be blamed?

Well HL1 has basically defined the modern FPS genre, and it looks like HL2 is doing the same thing.

It is definitaly bad timing on ID's part and it certainly does look like they are "ripping" off HL2 but then again this is an inevitability and if it makes Doom III any better then I say go for it.

let's all trace some of the ideas etc from hl 1/2 back to other movies & games.

No need to be sarcastic. It does look very blatant this move by ID. Obviously hl took ideas from around the place, there are a lot less origional ideas floating around than might be thought. However, could ID be any more obtuse by telling us this so close to the release of hl2.

Farrowlesparrow said:
Heh...Doom 3 was a remake of a game that came before those.

Heh... not at all, Doom 3 has little to do with Doom, if anything at all. It's just a generic FPS with lots of "borrowed" (to put it politcally correct) elements from other FPS.

destrukt said:
let's all trace some of the ideas etc from hl 1/2 back to other movies & games.

This isn't quite the same as just inspiration.
This is like a 1-to-1 copy, and only one week after the fact.

Let's say I made an FPS that was just 'okay', and then HL2 came out a month later and kicked ass.

So, I create an 'expansion pack' that has, as it's only really original feature, little pods that you can throw around that attract imps and make them kill stuff for you.

Sounds desperate, I think.

PvtRyan said:
Heh... not at all, Doom 3 has little to do with Doom, if anything at all. It's just a generic FPS with lots of "borrowed" (to put it politcally correct) elements from other FPS.
In an odd way, it really seems to me that they only called the game "doom 3" was so that they could shirk any charges that they ripped off other games.

"Hey, isn't that a direct rip of Half-Life? And isn't that from SS2?"

"No, this is a remake of Doom 1, and Doom 1 was made years before those other games. It can't be a ripoff. Now collect those e-mails and rescue those scientists!"

Remove the Doom title, and change the names of some enemies, and it's an entirely different game than the first, in every way.

Back