Doom 3 movie! Why not Half Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Quixat

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=6183

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=5873

So they are making a movie based on Doom 3, which you know, should make a decent horror movie, but why not a Half Life movie? It is after all the greatest video game of all time. And when should I start growing facial hair so that I can audition for the Gordon role?

It's good to see video game and film entertainment merging though, now that the video game industry makes as much or more money than films. The only video game films I can think of right now are Mortal Kombat (god awful), Tomb Raider 1 + 2(good action but story was blah), and Resident evil 1 + 2(Milla Jovovich kicks arse, takes names, gets naked...nice).

Speaking of video games and sex appeal...
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/fun.games/10/18/games.swedishgirls.ap/index.html

....nice

Doom 3 movie! Why not Half Life?
Because Half-Life would probably suck as a movie. It's best for it to stay a game. :E

It would rule, bad ass with a crowbar, Headcrabs sucking on peoples brains..the gman lurking around, super ninjas, going into another dimension to battle freaky monsters, giant evil baby...all the ingredients to a blockbuster movie. Would need much cgi though, maybe the movie will start with gordon going to work and drinking a Pepsi and that will pay for the cgi....I Robot (blatant excessive product placement) anyone?

Cast:

Gordon Freeman - Ewan McGregor
Alyx Vance - Jessica Alba
Barney Calhoun - Val Kilmer
The Gman - Gary Oldman
Dr. Eli Vance - Morgan Freeman
Dr. Kleiner - Ben Kingsley
Dr. Judith Mossman - Claire Danes
Dr. Breen - Max Von Sydow
Father Grigory - Brian Blessed
Dog - Jack Angel

Valve have said, if its going to be done, they want it done right.

The only film based of a video game that I have liked is the firsr resident eveil, I dont like any of the others at all, they work much better as a game.

Try searching google news or someplace for "half-life 2 movie", there were quite a few articles about it when it was being discussed.

Quixat said:
Cast:

The Gman - Gary Oldman
Dog - Jack Angel

Good thing you're not a casting director.

Val Kilmer? wtf :LOL:

switch said:

The only film based of a video game that I have liked is the firsr resident eveil, I dont like any of the others at all, they work much better as a game.

Try searching google news or someplace for "half-life 2 movie", there were quite a few articles about it when it was being discussed.

thats exactly what the link i posted says :)

To be honest, the only part of Half-Life that would make a unique and interesting movie looks to be Half Life 2. :D

Direwolf said:
To be honest, the only part of Half-Life that would make a unique and interesting movie looks to be Half Life 2. :D

It could be a trilogy, heres a quick plot summary for the first movie to pitch to producers:

“Half Life: Black Mesa Incident”

Young research associate Gordon Freeman goes to work at an underground government research facility. He chats with his workmates, has a drink*, takes off his shoes*, suits up, and hurrys over to today's experiment. He inserts a recently discovered alien crystal into a test chamber energy beam causing many explosions and an inter-dimensional rift.

Gordon blacks out and has a crazy dream, he awakens to find the facility now in shambles with nasty alien monsters and their mutant slaves everywhere. Gordon finds a crowbar*, and defends himself while trying to make his way to the surface. He relies on the help of his scientist and security guard coworkers to assist him as he stealthily navigates through the crippled complex. The government sends in Marines to dispose of the alien infestation and all the civilians. A huge creature with sharp tentacles blocks Gordon’s path as he makes his way through a rocket engine test lab. He manages to turn on the rocket engine power generators and kill the creature.

A scientist informs Gordon that he must launch a satellite* that the military has shut off to stop the alien invasion. Gordon takes out the blockade and launches the satellite. Female black ops assassins arrive to dispose of the alien infestation, the Marines, and all of the civilians. Gordon is knocked out by two soldiers and thrown into a garbage compactor from which he narrowly escapes. The Marines realize they are losing to the aliens and decide to pull out and let the air force bomb the facility.

Gordon finds a scientist who can open a portal to the other dimension and jumps in to take the fight home to the aliens. He maneuvers and teleports through different areas of the low gravity alien world encountering more strange creatures. He fights a giant mother spider, climbs up through an alien factory, and finally finds a giant leader baby creature. He destroys the baby creature’s energy crystals, its head opens up and he jumps in to give it a quick crowbar lobotomy. Gordon is teleported back and meets a mysterious G-man that he has witnessed lurking around the research facility. The G-man offers Gordon a government job with excellent health benefits. Gordon accepts. The earth is attacked by alien hordes.

* (denotes revenue generating product placement)
* Pepsi
* Nike
*Craftsman
*Virgin

If they say the movie lacks:

A. a love scene
B. comic relief character
C. happy ending
or
D. gratuitous nudity

Explain that those will be included in parts 2 and 3. :)

CB | Para said:
Good thing you're not a casting director.

Val Kilmer? wtf :LOL:

Didn't you see Spartan or Top Gun? Val could play innocent friend Barney then it turns out he's a double agent for the g-man!

They could make a Half-Life movie in all CG like that final fantasy movie. I think that would be pretty cool. Then they could just use the same voice actors that are in Half-Life. They could even keep it in first person for Gordon just like the game.

switch said:

That's cool that valve didn't sell out and are waiting for a good script.

The Doom people however...to quote Krusty "Ohhhhh..I couldn't say no! They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house! *weeps*" ;(

Dark Auro said:
They could make a Half-Life movie in all CG like that final fantasy movie. I think that would be pretty cool. Then they could just use the same voice actors that are in Half-Life. They could even keep it in first person for Gordon just like the game.

Good Idea...Gordon would have to talk though. It would be intresting but I don't think anyone would make a movie (unless it was a chaplin remake) where the lead charachter never speaks.

Keep in mind that whenever a video game is adapted to the silver screen it has a 99% chance of sucking ass. Comic book adaptations are much easier to do, video games for some reason... well take a look at the Resident Evils, Street Fighter, Mario Bros, etc... I can't even remember a good one :|

Doug said something in the new interview that once the Hollywood execs start talking about "gordon getting in love" they go back to Seattle and scream their hearts out.

EDIT : exact quote - HomeLAN - Is there any movement on the Half-Life movie, especially with the Doom movie about to begin production?

Doug Lombardi - We've met with folks in Hollywood to discuss the idea of an HL movie. But around the time we hear, "And then Gordon falls in love..." we usually head back to Seattle screaming.

Quixat said:
Didn't you see Spartan or Top Gun? Val could play innocent friend Barney then it turns out he's a double agent for the g-man!

you wanna see val's acting skills? go watch the salton sea... one of the best movies i have ever seen. spartan was really good as well.

Gordon Freeman - Edward Norton
Alyx Vance - Elisha Cuthbert < personal preference :)
Barney Calhoun - Jason Stratham
The Gman - Someone that looks good in a suit.
Dog - a robot !!

hmmm... the g-man - leonard nimoy (spock)? i think they look about the same anyway.

oldagerocker said:
Gordon Freeman - Edward Norton
Alyx Vance - Elisha Cuthbert < personal preference :)
Barney Calhoun - Jason Stratham
The Gman - Someone that looks good in a suit.
Dog - a robot !!

Hmmm, somehow I don't think Barney's daughter would look like Elisha!

The robot has to have a voice actor, or maybe stephen hawking's text translator.

othello said:
hmmm... the g-man - leonard nimoy (spock)? i think they look about the same anyway.

Fascinating....

but could Leonard be sinister enough?

Doom 3 and HL2 movies had to suck... and y'all know that :) remember the Matrix sequels. They were good movies but most of the people hated them because they expected another Matrix 1. Same here, HL2 will probably rock, so ppl automatically think the movie has to rock too. But not only they'll find it bad, it will really be!!11one

Quixat said:
Fascinating....

but could Leonard be sinister enough?

oh i think he could. i dont think he smiled once during his star trek years lol. all he'd have to do is glare menacingly and then slowly walk away to where gordon could never ever catch him. seriously, anyone else with me on this?

g-man = leonard nimoy (spock) ?!?!

so far i got:

gordon - edward norton
g-man - leonard nimoy
alyx - thandie newton
dr. eli - morgon freeman

the rest i need more pictures on so i can pick who would play them.

Funny somebody mentioning Gary Oldman as the g-man, I always thought he'd make a good Freeman, despite the age difference. It'd be interesting if they wrote the script so that Gordon never spoke a single line during the entire film, I think that could actually work.

For some reason I feel like there's an actor who'd be perfect for the g-man, but I just can't remember them. Annoying.

doom 3 is like sort of a resident evil movie, half life 2 wont make much of a good movie and also there will be half life 3 so the story is not finished

I always thought Matthew Broderick looked a lot like Barney Calhoun.

One way for a half-life movie to not suck would be to film the entire thing with one camera. Get the whole POV thing going on.

It'd be hella difficult, but not impossible.

Ive been trying to make half life film for years,

But im 18, and no credits to my name

if you where going to do something movie related in the half life universe, I can imagine valve wouldnt fancy using the game characters.. incase of spoiling the feel around them.. I think a movie on combine v resistance, and mention the main characters perhaps but not feature them,.. create new characters for the movie, impliment a more vulnerable feel to the situation of the portal invasions,, include the creatures by all means the citadel and combine, feature it in another city.., but leave the cheesey ideas of using famous actors to play the parts of the main characters in HL2 it would totally ruin the ambience created in the game.

I'm still waiting for a Max Payne movie. I heard that somebody made a fan based film, but which was not publicly released, supposed to be good too!

Quixat said:
So they are making a movie based on Doom 3, which you know, should make a decent horror movie, but why not a Half Life movie? It is after all the greatest video game of all time.

Well done, you've just highlighted the exact reason why there should not be a half-life movie. Games are games movies are movies. That is it - draw the LINE. I don't want games to be ruined by shit movies anymore.

If you hadn't noticed already most game movies are shit. Resident evil 1 and 2, Alone in the dark, house of the dead, mortal kombat - all horrendous.

I'm absolutley SICK to death of this game come movie business. And vice versa.

Quixat said:
Cast:

The Gman - Gary Oldman
Dog - Jack Angel
Good luck getting those actors for a movie based on a video game :upstare:

Quixat said:
http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=6183

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=5873

So they are making a movie based on Doom 3, which you know, should make a decent horror movie, but why not a Half Life movie? It is after all the greatest video game of all time. And when should I start growing facial hair so that I can audition for the Gordon role?

It's good to see video game and film entertainment merging though, now that the video game industry makes as much or more money than films. The only video game films I can think of right now are Mortal Kombat (god awful), Tomb Raider 1 + 2(good action but story was blah), and Resident evil 1 + 2(Milla Jovovich kicks arse, takes names, gets naked...nice).

Speaking of video games and sex appeal...
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/fun.games/10/18/games.swedishgirls.ap/index.html

....nice

Doom could be a movie because its a horror and you don't need that "looking through Doom-dudes eyes" to get the feeling, but with HL you actually need to be looking through Gordons eyes to get a feel for the game. Imagine HL in 3rd person..worst game ever made maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back