Doom 3 Plot: See Half-Life 1

stanr

Reaction score
Good evening gents,

You know, I was just watching the G4 clip showing some Doom3 footage,
and got more and more outraged the more I saw.

Granted, HL1 is the "Pulp Fiction" of many sci-fi stories, drawing heavily from literature. But see if you can recognize any similarities to Half-Life 1:

(a) a "mega corporation" is conducting "teleportation experiments."
(b) an "experiment goes terribly wrong, opening a portal into demon world"
(c) scientists get zombified
(d) marines fight alongside you
(e) in the end, you go to the demon world, plausibly to close off the portal

And for me, the puncture point occured when in the video, a demon teleports in in front of you and shoots a plasma bolt at you. Event the teleportation effects are similar. That's when I had the biggest flashback to a vortigaunts' first appearance in HL1. Please, id, can there be no other plotlines? Hire a writer for God's sake, someone unafraid to be original.

I would not be surprised to find G-Man in Doom 3...

Stan R.

newbie.

you missed the part about the evil scientist, the ancient mars race (not demon), and the soul cube.

Dont be so ignorant next time.

and if anything hl1 stole doom1's storyline. Besides it is a remake isn't it? Doom3 will be a great game, as will hl2. i am SURE the doom3 SP story wont matter too much as the hl1 story wasn't too stellar either. its more of the experience.

Uh...didn't the original Doom 1 and 2 come out before HL1? And D3 is based on the original story, since it's a remake. So by what you're saying, wouldn't Valve be guilty of copying Doom's story and not the other way around? (Not that I think this, but I'm just pointing out the invalidity of your arguement.)

A soul cube? What's that, a long jump module :) ?

Stan R.

Subz said:
newbie.

you missed the part about the evil scientist, the ancient mars race (not demon), and the soul cube.

Stan just play the game in 2 weeks...

hell i'll get it just for the wicket new plasma gun

The gman is Dr. Betruger.

And besides, Doom 3 is based on the original Doom story, which came way before HL.

Uh...didn't the original Doom 1 and 2 come out before HL1? And D3 is based on the original story, since it's a remake. So by what you're saying, wouldn't Valve be guilty of copying Doom's story and not the other way around? (Not that I think this, but I'm just pointing out the invalidity of your arguement.)
That's right. If anyone is guilty of being unoriginal it's Valve.

Something you can suck out dead people's souls to give you health, I think ......

Yeah, I've noticed similarites too. Like how Doom 3 is touting the fact that they have removed anything obtrusive like cutscenes and mission screens, creating the illusion of one huge level. And how you can get scientists to follow and help you if you want to. And how you end up traveling to the dimension where the aliens come from.

Don't get me wrong though, I think Doom is greatly improved with these HL-like additions.

Doom 1 and 2 really had no story AFAIK. Just the marines, the base, and the demons.

Definitely no teleportation exepriments, or evil scientists.

Stan R.

Neutrino said:

ShadowFox said:
The gman is Dr. Betruger.

And besides, Doom 3 is based on the original Doom story, which came way before HL.

Exactly.

:LOL:

I think your "outraged" argument just backfired.

Ya I noticed they are similar 2 each other but to be honest I could care less. They are both really good games and im going 2 be playing them both non-stop. Its kind of stupid 2 make a topic like this. We all love d3 and hl2 (well most of us) and we dont care what they have all we know is we want it :D

stanr said:
Doom 1 and 2 really had no story AFAIK. Just the marines, the base, and the demons.

Stan R.
Actually it did. The Union Aerospace Corperation are conducting experiments, teleporting materials between the moons Phobos and Deimos. They accidentally open a portal to hell and demons come through.

Oh and the monster you saw is the Archvile, and it is burning you.

What are you talking about? Dr. Betruger does not enter the Doom universe until Doom 3, so his post confirms what I said.

Stan R.

Neutrino said:
Exactly.

:LOL:

I think your "outraged" argument just backfired.

Wow. Next people will be saying games like Call of Duty and Warcraft 3 copied Half-Life.

stanr said:

Stan R.

looks like someone missed the read.me files that came with the original 5 disk doom1 doom2. or were you born back then?

Neutrino said:

YES! Thank you!

It sucks to see people whose first FPS were the ones made in the last 5 years say Doom3 rips off Half-Life.

stanr said:

You obviously haven't read the Doom manual. :p

Ahh, I can't wait till both games are actually out, then the arguments will get really dirty. I mean if there this bad with simple conjecture, wait till there are actual things to compare. Doom 3 did this, HL2 did that. I don't care anymore, just give us those games and competition is good, if HL2 is driving the developers to make Doom 3 beta (and vice versa) some crossovers have to happen.

Soundwave said:
YES! Thank you!

It sucks to see people whose first FPS were the ones made in the last 5 years say Doom3 rips off Half-Life.
lol i know!!

These damn kids don't know their gaming history!!

Soundwave said:
YES! Thank you!

Yeah, it's like saying Gandalf is a rip off of Obi Wan after watching the LoTR movies. :D

From the original Doom story, and I quote:

"For the last four years the military, UAC's biggest supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including research on inter-dimensional space travel. So far they have been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos, throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out the other."

Mechagodzilla said:
Yeah, I've noticed similarites too. Like how Doom 3 is touting the fact that they have removed anything obtrusive like cutscenes and mission screens, creating the illusion of one huge level. And how you can get scientists to follow and help you if you want to. And how you end up traveling to the dimension where the aliens come from.

I haven't seen them 'touting' these features. Of course id is going to use the HL loading system. They recognize a good thing when they see it.

Personally I will miss the stats screens.. but I can always just go back and play the originals.

My first FPS was Ultima Underworld, thank you very much.

Stan R.

Mr-Fusion said:
lol i know!!

These damn kids don't know their gaming history!!

Well the thing with id using Half-Life's style of storytelling is, we all know that was a big step for FPS. People are quick to praise those features of HL as being revolutionary and breaking new ground, yet then turn around and criticise another game that USES those features. It makes no sense.

Not saying you in particular were criticizing Doom3 for it Mecha, I mean in general.

People, HL2 brought the story into the first person shooter. Sure Doom 1 and 2 had a story, but I just gave it a glance. HL2 put you in the middle of the story, so that you didn't have a choise but to experience it. Of course Doom 3 is going to do that, and it's not a bad thing. I would be seriously annoyed if it had level structure with the stats at each end (although my friend is steaming that is doesn't).

Mechagodzilla said:

Don't get me wrong though, I think Doom is greatly improved with these HL-like additions.

But it does have cut scenes as far as I know. Has this been changed? I'm confused.

PLOT OF DOOM : Get scared till you shit yourself.

Supposedly on the G4 footage there's quite a few cut scenes. I imagine there will at least be a cut scene when the portal to Hell is opened and the shit hits the fan. Hell, I'll be disappointed if there's not.

Exactly. That legacy I agree with. But "teleportation experiments go wrong"?

Stan R.

Subz said:
PLOT OF DOOM : Get scared till you shit yourself.

stanr said:
Exactly. That legacy I agree with. But "an error in teleportation experiments"?

Stan R.

Best to give up now. Notice that pretty much everyone disagrees with you?

stanr said:
My first FPS was Ultima Underworld, thank you very much.

Stan R.

Ultima Underworld was before my time, but I know for a fact it was a RPG.

blahblahblah said:

It was an RPG / FPS hybrid, like Deus Ex or System Shock

I know there will be cutscenes, you will see the main character in third person. Don't ask me how I know but you can be sure it's illegal :).

I am not running a popularity contest, but just wanted to share an opinion.

Stan R.

Neutrino said:
Best to give up now. Notice that pretty much everyone disagrees with you?

teleportation gone wrong has been since doom1 like waaaaaay b4 halflife1

give it up. j00 is teh owned!!

dont worry even gabe newell got own3d. "omFG im t3h Hax0r3d MY SOURCE c0d3 OH NOEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

blahblahblah said:

It had some FPS elements, but it was indeed a RPG.

lazicsavo said:
I know there will be cutscenes, you will see the main character in third person. Don't ask me how I know but you can be sure it's illegal :).

You needn't worry, the alpha is just the E3 2002 content, so it's ok. :)

Back