DOOM III Tourney at Quakecon 2004

Eywanadi

Reaction score
So it looks like Doom 3 WILL be out before Aug 12

Ladies and Gentlemen, the time has finally come. QuakeCon has officially announced their tournament games for the QuakeCon 2004 event taking place next month in Dallas, TX. How much $? $150,000.
DON’T JUST PLAY FOR FUN,
PLAY FOR KEEPS

$150,000 IN CASH AND PRIZES UP FOR GRABS AT
THE NVIDIA® CHAMPIONSHIPS AT QUAKECON 2004

MESQUITE, Texas – July 6, 2004 - The battleground is set - the 9th annual QuakeCon 2004 video game festival and tournament at the Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center in Grapevine, Texas on August 12-15 will host the first DOOM 3™ deathmatch championship ever. Be there to game, hang out with 5,000 of your closest friends, and compete for $150,000 in cash and prizes in the NVIDIA QuakeCon 2004 Championship Tournaments. First-come, first-serve online registration for QuakeCon 2004 has begun at www.quakecon.org. The must-attend event for gamers is free to all attendees.

“We’re having a DOOM 3 party this year, and want to offer our fans the first opportunity to compete in a DOOM 3 tournament,” Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software said. “NVIDIA is putting up the largest QuakeCon prize package ever, and topping it off with DOOM 3 prizes that will have the competitors’ adrenaline rushing.”

NVIDIA Corporation, the worldwide leader in graphics processing, is putting up a combined purse of $150,000 in cash and prizes for the three QuakeCon tournaments.

“For gamers, QuakeCon is the most exciting happening of the year, and this year it marks the arrival of DOOM 3 – which is one event we wouldn’t miss!" said Dan Vivoli, executive vice president of marketing for NVIDIA. " NVIDIA's presence at QuakeCon gives gamers an opportunity to test drive the game with NVIDIA's GeForce 6 series, a product family designed to deliver the ultimate DOOM 3 experience to gamers of all budget-levels."

DOOM 3 Inaugural Deathmatch Championship:
Yes, you read that correctly. DOOM 3 Deathmatch is coming to QuakeCon 2004, and there has never been a more level playing field. With DOOM 3 launching this summer, there won’t be anyone who has had time to practice or master the game, and almost any QuakeCon attendee has a chance to walk away with one of the exclusive DOOM 3 prizes. We’re not telling you what they are just yet, but let’s just say that they’re fast. Registration for this 128-player tournament will begin August 12, 2004 – the first day of QuakeCon.

The QUAKE III Arena 1 vs. 1 Championship:
The definitive gaming challenge is this 1 versus 1 battle in the Arena and the only QUAKE III Arena tournament officially sanctioned by id Software. With $50,000 on the line, the intense battle begins at QuakeCon on August 12, with 256 players going toe-to-toe in this legendary death match experience. Registration will kick off July 11th at 8:00pm Central Time on www.quakecon.org. Go to www.quakecon.org for official tournament rules and prize money distribution.

Quake III Capture the Flag Tournament:
The 4 versus 4 Capture the Flag tournament is sure to deliver an unprecedented level of fast-paced team action. 32 teams will begin 4 versus 4 double elimination championship rounds at QuakeCon 2004, where they’ll compete for $40,000 in cash. Registration for the open seeds will begin on July 11th at 8:00pm Central Time. Teams earning a berth in last year’s top 16 spots will receive an automatic berth this year. The remaining team slots will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Teams can visit www.quakecon.org to register and for official tournament rules and prize money distribution.

Hotel Reservation Information:
To reserve a room, call the Gaylord Texan at 866-782-7897. To receive special negotiated room rates of $109 for single or double occupancy and $119 for triple or quad occupancy, QuakeCon attendees should inform the reservation desk that they’ll be at the hotel for QuakeCon 2004. Additional information regarding the Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center is available at www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylordtexan.

About QuakeCon:
QuakeCon began in 1996 as a LAN party dedicated to fans of id Software’s games, and has grown to include QUAKE®, QUAKE II®, QUAKE III Arena®, QUAKE III: Team Arena™ and Return to Castle Wolfenstein®. It was created by gamers as a way to meet with online friends in person, get to know the developers of the games they crave, talk shop with industry leaders and compete against the best players in the world. Although sponsored by id Software and other industry-leading software and hardware manufacturers, QuakeCon continues to be planned and operated by a dedicated group of 30 year-round volunteers, and nearly 200 on-site volunteers. As originally conceived, QuakeCon remains an event for gamers, by gamers, and enjoys continued success, growing from a small gathering of 150 players in 1996 to more than 4,000 in 2003.

About id Software:
id – Freud's primal part of the human psyche and one of the hottest game shops on Earth – has been rocking the gaming world from Mesquite, Texas, since 1991. As a renowned leader in the industry, id Software forged such frenetic titles as Wolfenstein 3D®, DOOM®, DOOM II®, QUAKE® and QUAKE II®. With intense graphics and mind-blowing action, id’s games have helped redefine the modern video game, continually setting industry standards for technology and gameplay. And, in keeping with tradition, id Software has amplified the world of adrenaline pumping 3-D gaming with the release of action titles, QUAKE III Arena®, QUAKE III: Team Arena™ and the executive production of Return to Castle Wolfenstein®. Built on id’s revolutionary new 3D graphics engine, the currently in development DOOM 3™ draws you into the most frightening and gripping 3D gaming experience ever.

About NVIDIA:
NVIDIA Corporation is a market leader in visual computing technology dedicated to creating products that enhance the interactive experience on consumer and professional computing platforms. Its graphics and communications processors have broad market reach and are incorporated into a wide variety of computing platforms, including consumer PCs, enterprise PCs, notebook PCs, professional workstations, handhelds, and video game consoles. NVIDIA is headquartered in Santa Clara, California and employs more than 1,900 people worldwide. For more information, visit the Company’s Web site at www.nvidia.com.

# # #
© 2003 id Software, Inc. All rights reserved. QuakeCon, Wolfenstein 3D, DOOM, DOOM II, DOOM 3, QUAKE, QUAKE II, QUAKE III Arena, QUAKE III: Team Arena, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and the id Software name are either registered trademarks or trademarks of id Software, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.

Basically it is further confirmation of being released before or possibly at QuakeCon.

Sweet, i want to go to that torney :(

:eek: Cool COol. But... wouldn't everyone be newbie's in multiplayer since the game will be THAT fresh?

Exactly the reason why the person that wins 1st place deserves first place the most. No hardcore gamers who play it 24/7 win it because no one has played it.

This isnt about how "l33t" someone is, its about who adapts fastest to the game which overall would result in a much better tourney.

I think this is confirmation that Doom 3 will be out on August 3.

White Stripes: Seven Nation Army

Dedalus said:
Doom III was at last year's Quakecon too..

But it was'nt being played in a tourney for cash prizes...

I think like most people have already said/already concluded, this is basically ID saying "doom3 will be out before August 12th" which is good news...i need a new game, but i also need a nighttime game as well because doom3 looks way to scary to be playing alone in the dark, heh.

Sweet. Now if I can get a gold announcement from ID software I will be happy.

wow, dunno what to say other than ROCK ON.

also will be interesting to see demos of the people that end up winning this tournament to see just how a 'noob' found a way to win. (hopefully demo recording will be in the initial release)

cool.

Pendragon said:
That's not necessarily true - QC could be a final focus group for them, or a trial-by-fire test before release, but I'm hoping you're right.
If it is a huge tourney like Quake 3, the game has to be installed on you computer. :) It will be released before QC.

Jimi Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced?

ray_MAN said:
If it is a huge tourney like Quake 3, the game has to be installed on you computer. :) It will be released before QC.

Jimi Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced?

They had doom 3 at the last QC. A guy i know a gamestop went and got to play the multiplayer. He said even tho the game was still beta, it was insanely fun and well built.

Raziel-Jcd said:
MeEEeeEEeEe! ToooOOoOooOO! :dork:

lol
actually.. were u around during the IFG Nutrigrain bar frenzy? if not.. u didn't quite understand the joke :)

i'll see if i can find the link.. hehe

Dr. Freeman said:
lol
actually.. were u around during the IFG Nutrigrain bar frenzy? if not.. u didn't quite understand the joke :)

lol, nope. Inside joke i see. :hmph:

Raziel-Jcd said:
lol, nope. Inside joke i see. :hmph:

i was just browsing turnpike films website and noticed the Nutrigrain bar spot has been taken off line :(

did anyone save the video?
i'd like to see it again...

lol @ Gaylords Hotel! I wonder if you get any weird surprises there at night.

Dr. Freeman said:
i was just browsing turnpike films website and noticed the Nutrigrain bar spot has been taken off line :(

did anyone save the video?
i'd like to see it again...

Check with Pendragon

Raziel-Jcd said:
They had doom 3 at the last QC. A guy i know a gamestop went and got to play the multiplayer. He said even tho the game was still beta, it was insanely fun and well built.
It wasn't a huge tourney. People had to wait in line to test the multiplayer.

Dr. Freeman said:
lol

There is a link to it in my sig lol.

Anyway if Doom 3 comes out anytime soon I'll be playin that nonstop for a while. Hopefully this just confirms what I hope to be true.

Back