Doom Movie update

thenerdguy

Reaction score
Link

The latest news from the Doom movie set may bring some hope to fans of the game, as the launch date is no longer August 5th. In a sudden burst of news we find out how Carmack will find his way into the picture and get some details of another Doom related movie and hear from Doom's writer himself.

If The Rock didn't manage to confuse you with his various Doom movie comments, the latest news most probably will. Universal Pictures updated their website, quietely, changing the theater date to 21 October, 2005. Gone is the blockbuster summer slot and in comes speculation regarding a Halloween promotional release. Some of the half-full Doom fans are hoping that this delay may be a reaction to the, rather intense, criticism of the movie from Doom fans and may indicate that the creators decided to take some extra time in order to tweak the movie.

Although the possibility that the movie producers would delay a release in order to please gamers is there, it is more likely that marketing reasons may be behind the delay.
A few of the more cynical fans claim that Universal decided that Land of the Dead, George Romero's new horror flick is the only scary blockbuster they have and decided to devote the entire summer to that movie's release not wanting to dilute horror fan interest.

Doom writer Dave Callaham, also decided to speak-up and in an interview and his comments regarding the storyline will give a lot of Doom fans a nasty premonition about the movie.

According to Mr. Callaham, Karl Urban will play John the Space Marine who, along with his unit, will either be stationed in or teleported to a research base on an unknown planet. He will be reunited with his sister; a scientist on the base named Samantha (Rosamund Pike) and will fight against other humans that have been infected by a virus, for survival. The virus will, much like the Doom movie, be a marvel of Hellish bio-engineering. Callaham also claims that John and his sister will have their own family issues which they will work out through the movie. According to Callaham, The Rock will appear as the head space marine but he warns ...he is not going to be smiling a whole bunch. You won't see him raise his left eyebrow... He won't Be Cool.

According to the latest news, the producers of the Doom movie have worked a few iD staff names into the script and moviegoers will therefore witness the oddly named Dr. Carmack Imp and a couple of Dr. Willits'.

Finally Showtime, of all producers, has announced plans to make a bio-pic movie based on Masters of Doom, the 2003 released how it all got started book on Doom developer id Software. The executive producer and scriptwriter for the movie is Naren Shankar, who currently is an executive producer on CBS's crime show CSI and has written scripts for shows like The Outer Limits and Farscape. The book followed iD's first steps from the perspective of its two creators, master programmer John Carmack and designer John Romero. There is no word yet on when Showtime plans to start production on the movie.

If that is not enough to scare you stay tuned for more Doom movie news as we get it.

there has been a steady stream of bad info about this game, and somehow it all rings true, its just like a movie company to f*ck up a perfectly good, well, somewhat good, game

Im going to see this for sure. Doom name = me there.

It sounds like they didn't change much of anything. Just added some sort of teleportation add-on to send them to another planet/dimension (so it isn't really Earth :p ).

Adding the sister is obviously for sex appeal (not that that's a bad thing), and also to try and spice up the dialogue.

At least they're trying though. In my eyes this movie just went from a 20% chance of being good to a 35% chance. Still no word on the classic Doom monsters or any involvment of hell (and that's the best part).

From Gamespot-

The movie will take much of its storyline from Doom 3, and it will see Urban and Johnson as space marines who come across a portal to hell on Mars.

Could this mean that the fans of the games' retaliation finally got the producers to take a stand against the Hollywood "lets make every single movie the same for money!" people and the "we stop people doing things which are against our religion in a multi-religion society" christian groups? :-0

I just want to wait till I hear more, everything so far is a little too sketchy for me to base opinions on :rolleyes:

The story sounds absolutely unoriginal and boring to me. An infection? Is this Resident Evil 3? Let me know when an actual Doom movie come sout. Id is an idiot for letting the aholes in Hollywood ruin this movie. I will wait till this movie comes on HBO or something.

the costumes look really low budget - instead rather see "land of the dead".

A True Canadian said:
Adding the sister is obviously for sex appeal (not that that's a bad thing), and also to try and spice up the dialogue.

At least they're trying though. In my eyes this movie just went from a 20% chance of being good to a 35% chance. Still no word on the classic Doom monsters or any involvment of hell (and that's the best part).
If there's boobies, that would help, but stil;l not enough to get me to pay for it, it might be worth the time it takes to d/l it though

I don't really see why people are saying ''I'm not going to see it'' - why miss out on a trip to the cinema to see a good action film? Even if the film had nothing to do with Hell, Mars or anything: Zombies + Marines = me at cinema.

But hey, thats just me. Still, I bet everyone that says they aren't going to see it; see it.

a bioengineered virus :(, going to see his sister.. thats not doom, thats resident evil, nothing has changed... poo poo.

Why do they have to be so politically correct with the movie. its completely transformed it, Doom is about hell demons and pure stereotyped evil, pain and spine trembling laughter, with weird voodoo things taking place, and also heavey metal music, where hordes of nasties cross the dimensional planes after advanced teleportation experiment's went wrong reaking havoc on mars, Gore violence is all part and parcel. im sure thats no problem, but I bet rather than address the wants of a hardcore fanbase they would rather steer clear of critiques from a christian audiance... If a proper doom movie came out you know the christian's would be like 'OMG , wtf.. you cant do that.. hell isnt like that atall.. your mocking our religion.. sue 5000, you disgrace our religous belief's 111!.

ARG, ITS NOT DOOM!, ITS RESIDENT EVIL IN SPACE!!

me kills Karmack.

TheBleeding said:
I don't really see why people are saying ''I'm not going to see it'' - why miss out on a trip to the cinema to see a good action film? Even if the film had nothing to do with Hell, Mars or anything: Zombies + Marines = me at cinema.

But hey, thats just me. Still, I bet everyone that says they aren't going to see it; see it.

That's the problem though. A lot of video game fans love DOOM and everything about it. The fact that the producers of the movie aren't taking this seriously already gives word that they're just trying to get whatever money they can out of it.

In my eyes there are two main things that make DOOM what it is: the forces of hell invading our realm, and the most twisted, interesting and downright scariest monsters you've ever seen.

The fact that these two aspects are ignored in the upcoming movie, is kinda an insult to the fans. :(

Whats odd, they might not be putting in Demons for religious concerns... but just look at Constantine, thats got plenty of Hell bashing demon killing action. This is rediculous. It;s going to be another trashy, poor, unimaginative movie.

Garfield_ said:
Yeah, it does. But even if it is like AvP we need to watch it :)

They didnt slaughter it though, I mean if AvP was as bad as this, the Predators would be a secret CIA force and Aliens would be test animals who escaped from a virus lab.
Or something ridiculous anyway. Im not even a big Doom fan, but still, it annoys me.

AvP wasnt that bad IMO,still could be a whole lot better if they get based on the old alien and predator movies

on topic: until someone say that are demons in that doom movie I will not give any hope

Back