Doug Valente Spouts on Steam

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday, Valve's Doug Valente posted on the SteamPowered forums with information on a handy tool that will be included in the near future that will help you create back ups of your cache files that will enable you to copy them on to CD or DVD.
In the near future you will be able to make a CD Backup of your games.
Then Taylor Sherman had more information:
...there will be a DVD-sized option for the Backup feature too. It's not going to actually burn the discs, but it will create a self-extracting archive that is broken up into the appropriate-size files.
Great news for those people who do not have a DVD recorder, which was previously relied upon for the recent third party guides to backing up your cache.[br]
[br]
You can catch the full thread here.[br]
[br]
Thanks goes to our forum member, guise, for posting this in this thread.

coooooool, OK guys lets have a cd cover contest!!!

coooooool, OK guys lets have a cd cover contest!!!

search the forum.. there are DVD covers on there already.. my box is already sorted :)

Good. This was the one thing that was bugging me about the Steam install.

there are numerous tools available to split binary files up into different sizes, were mostly used in the days of dos to allow you to fit stuff on multiple floppies and as such their command line, but its nothing new :eek:

Cool, I've never really trusted steam as much as I do the CD versions but seeing as I've got the ATI voucher I had no other choice :)

This is really good news for those without dvd-writers. I've already backup up my files, so all I need is a dvd-box to use my dvd-cover. *off to the shop*

definitely something much needed for those of us who purchased via Steam.
add one of those DVD covers which has a thread in the General Discussion section and there u have ur very own, professional looking Steam backup files :thumbs:

Pretty cool that they will be including a built in backup thingy.

FYI that's not Doug Lombardi, it's Doug Valente. :naughty:

Changed :)

I have no idea why I was under the impression it was Lombardi. Ah well :p

Chris_D said:
Changed :)

I have no idea why I was under the impression it was Lombardi. Ah well :p

freudian slip, you got a one tracked lombardi brain... MARKETING STRATEGIES BIATCH!

not to mention we love all lombardis, big and small.

Back