Dream Machine: HELP

nbk-brando

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently been given the "A-OK" by the boss (wife) to go ahead and get a new system.

My budget is around $2200, and I'm looking to get the top of the line dream machine, or as close as I can get. Can someone recommend the most reliable gaming computer retailers available?

I've looked at www.Alienware.com and www.Voodoo.ca - both really nice, but too pricy. I went to www.cyberpowerinc.com and found the machine I want for roughly $2000, but then I did some research and found they have REALLY poor tech support. (It sounds like one person.)

I found an equal computer (approximately) from www.buy-atlas.com for around $2100. They've had multiple good reviews and awards, but I'd like to hear some experience. (Or other same-type recommendations)

Any help would be great. :D

**** alienware, and **** all retailers. Buy all the parts and do it yourself. I recommend:

Samsung drives, maxtor hd's, generic case, intel processor, asus mobo, corsair ram, ati vid card, santa cruz sound card. those are all the top of the top manufacturers with the best quality products. the exact components u choose to buy are entirely up to you.

Call me whatcha like, but I'm looking for a custom-built box from a retailer - similar to the above mentioned.

I have built at least 50 pcs in my career, (including the one I'm posting from) and I'm looking for something different. I like the custom cases/cooling these retailers have to offer among various other options.

I've heard nothing but good things about alienware and voodoo (PC Gamer, Nvidia, ATI, Cnet, tomshardware, etc) - you get what you pay for, in other words. While I can't afford voodoo or alienware, I'm looking for close to the equivelant from a reliable retailer.

LoL. I'm not calling you anything! It's just my suggestion. Not to mention it's cheaper.:bounce: :cheers:

Yes, its much more expensive... 2000$ is FAAAR to much. I got my computer some 5 months ago, for roughly 1000$ (and hardware is expensive here compared to the US, though monitor is not included (already had one)), and that was nearly top of the line (except CPU, I went for a cheaper 2400+, max was maybe 2600+ or something), with a rather costly 9700 Pro.

check out: http://www.ibuypower.com
- has a good deal of favorable reviews, and had a rich bastard friend of mine buy from them awhile back.
gl.

edit: and they have some pretty damn nice cases.

I've just bought this:

Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz processor
1024MB ultra fast DDR RAM (PC3200)
120GB 7200rpm UDMA 100 hard disk 8 MB buffer
256MB DDRII ATI Radeon 9800 pro graphics VGA/DVI-I/TV-out
19" Viewsonic G90F+B PerfectFlat (CRT) monitor
Sony 16x DVD-ROM
Sony 52x24x52 CDRW
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2
Creative Inspire 6.1 6700 speakers
Microsoft Wireless optical keyboard and mouse

http://www.evesham.com/PCs/Info.asp?e=53110650-B592-42DE-BC3A-8DD8662BD59A

Check out the case design, sorta similar to the alienware ones.

Originally posted by guinny
**** alienware, and **** all retailers. Buy all the parts and do it yourself. I recommend:

Samsung drives, maxtor hd's, generic case, intel processor, asus mobo, corsair ram, ati vid card, santa cruz sound card. those are all the top of the top manufacturers with the best quality products. the exact components u choose to buy are entirely up to you.

why intel ? if yer gonna play games and dont use photoshop dreamweaver 3dsm maya or anything like that you dont need exspensive intell just go for amd

asus mobo ? just look for a mobo that has the crap on that you want..so no gfx or sound card no 8 usb slots if you just gonna use 2 no raid if you just gonna buy 1 HDD etc...

corsair ram is just waste of money to exspensive for what your getting..best spend yer money and a bigger screen :)

actually to keep it short just dont buy the most exspensive thing there is causs you just pay to much to what you get..just go a bit lower on price and you get better price to quality ratio. Its not always the bigger the better ;)

ibuypower builds great machines, and their prices are fantastic.

if you dont want to risk building one, its great fun though:cheers: , try ABS comupters, they have great prices, and AMAZING tech support, but really just build one, i built a great system for $300, that one AlienWare's site would cost about 1500:eek: , prebuilts are rip offs, but if you got the dough.....

Back