Drop Your Weapons!

Could you beat HL2 armed with just a crowbar and gravity guns?

• Of course I could!

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Possible but improbable!

Votes: 34 41.5%
  • I would'nt last very long!

Votes: 18 22.0%

• Total voters

Bronzer

Reaction score
Would it be possible to play HL2 all the way through, without being killed, armed only with your wits, a crowbar, and of course, the gravity guns?

I think its impossible. Many places where u need to shoot something (usually barrels) to proceed.

ya u couldnt make it through alot of parts with crowbar

Can you run past the striders, snipers, gunships etc...?

Also, remeber the part in nova prospekt where you have to position the turrets. That sequence does not start until you position the last one, so you would have to use them at some point.

I say it's not possible to do.

only ppl w/1337 skilz could, yo!
j/k
No, i think it impossible...and anyways, it'd be to boring.

it might be possible if you got the ggun at start and every now and then spawned saw blades and harpoons.

Of course i could. just turn on god mode and noclip (You never said you cant use cheats)
BTW: it is impossible with out cheats. What would you do before you got the GG. just bash barrels and combine with the crowbar?

If we included rockets, it'd be possible, since there are two parts of the coast where you must shoot down some gunships to proceed. I don't see you crowbaring those things to death ;)

Yep, definately impossible. I'd say it would be possible if you included RPG in the list.

Spugmaster said:
I say it's not possible to do.

Ditto. What about

The part in Water Hazard where you have to shoot the flammable barrels to open the gate?

youd have to be one tough mother 2 be able 2 do it!!!!

There are many places which REQUIRED that you at least shoot something with something, like the gunships and striders, for example. I cant imagine how you are going to shoot barrels/wood pieces, etc. at them to death, let alone kill them with a crowbar. :(

Try playing through it with Garrys Mod, then it would be a doddle to achieve.

I voted "It's possible, but improbable" before I read any of your posts and realized it is in fact impossible. There are some parts that you can play through withouth actual firearms though, like Nova Prospekt for example, but it's impossible to play through the whole game

I tried doing this before; there was a part where

In Route Kanal, there is combine on a bridge with explosive barrels. The only way to get past it is to destroy the barrels...

If its posible ill be able to do it.

I'd say atleast a good percentage of it is possible without guns. There's always other ways to do things without shooting at them, in most of the cases. Would just take much longer and be far more difficult. That and the gunships I guess would be a problem, so maybe allow RPG's just for those?

Well, there's that bit with the snipers and the grenades... Besides I think you wouldn't stand a great chance against a fast zombie without something a little bit more substantial than a crowbar.

el Chi said:
Well, there's that bit with the snipers and the grenades... Besides I think you wouldn't stand a great chance against a fast zombie without something a little bit more substantial than a crowbar.

You're allowed to use the gravity gun too. And in my opinion, the saw blades or the small explosive gass cans are more effective than most of the firearms.

What about the helicopter? Are you gonna crowbar that thing apart? You have to use the gun on the boat at that point...

Talking of the helicopter, I just noticed another difference from the E3 footage shown last year in Route Kanal.

In the footage, you already have the modified Overwatch rifle added to your boat. Now, I'm currently at the point as shown in the video now. I don't have the gun, but yet everything else is the same...the Combine APC on the road above, the 2 Metrocops who launch the explosives into the water just before you reach the conveniently left 'ramp' and then, as you round the corner, the cars come flying towards you before passing under a bridge and having a fire fight with the Chopper. WHERE'S MY GUN?

czrsink said:
Talking of the helicopter, I just noticed another difference from the E3 footage shown last year in Route Kanal.

In the footage, you already have the modified Overwatch rifle added to your boat. Now, I'm currently at the point as shown in the video now. I don't have the gun, but yet everything else is the same...the Combine APC on the road above, the 2 Metrocops who launch the explosives into the water just before you reach the conveniently left 'ramp' and then, as you round the corner, the cars come flying towards you before passing under a bridge and having a fire fight with the Chopper. WHERE'S MY GUN?

You'll get it later. Valve probably came to a decision that giving the weapon too early would make it too easy, so they decided to give it a bit later.

Taking out the striders, gunships, helicopter, APCs and other stuff would be basically impossible. Plus, like some have said, some puzzles require at least a pistol.

shit you were supposed to use nades in the sniper part? i never knew that i just ran like a bitch :p

Maybe it shoud be make through the game using only the grav gun and crowbar. But you can use thr RPG for nessesary to kill vehicles. 1 grenade per sniper and the pistol only for puzzels. In that case it is possible.

Back