DX8 mode to DX9?

dart321

Reaction score
In the advanced video options of CS:S, It says something like DX level: 8.1 and then right below it it says DX installed: 9.0 . Is there anyway I can change my setting to run the game in DX9 mode instead of DX8? I've clicked on it a bunch of times and looked at all the options. It would seem that the beta determines your DX level and sets it in stone so you can't touch it. Btw, I have a DX9 enabled video card and have DX9.0c installed so these are not my problems.

I think I do. I have a FX5950 Ultra. I know that theres been some controversy over the FX series and HL2, but I should still be able to run the game in DX9 right?

There's a config file somewhere you can edit to change the options, the beta simply chooses the best for your system, as the Thing said, and in many other cases, if you up things from the recommended setting, don't expect great things.

How long will it take for the 9800 to drop in price?

Valve chose to let the FX series run in directx 8 mode since nVidias approach to the DX9 path wasnt very good. Sorry.

So it would seem. I guess I can bust out my ol' Radeon 9700 Pro. That should work. Right?

I also own an FX card..will the game still look great running in dx 8? Is dx9 mode going to make a drastic difference in how the game looks?

I guess I don't understand why I can run other games in dx9 but not HL2, hm.

Heretic said:
I guess I don't understand why I can run other games in dx9 but not HL2, hm.

HL2 uses special "things" that FX series can't do :smoking: (or at least, not well)

I have the same problem !!! I have a radeon 9600 pro .and on my box for the card it SAYS DX 9 INSTALLED !!! WTF I hate DX 8

I think dx8 is having trouble with flashbangs ....beause they only work when i join a server ...after about 5 minutes the go back to this really gay ass effect ..im soo pissed !!!!

shouldent my card run dx9 ??? WTF

Back