EA wants more of your money

Higlac

Companion Cube
Reaction score
he mega-publisher announced Monday that beginning with the June 8th release of Tiger Woods 11, all future EA Sports games for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 will include a one-time, game-specific "Online Pass" code, which grants access to "online services, features and bonus content."

Sounds fine and dandy, but for one catch: while the code comes free with new copies of any EA Sports game, it can only be used once. Buy the game used -- or even just rent it through a service like GameFly -- and you'll be unable to play it online beyond a free seven-day trial period...unless you cough up $10 for an additional Online Pass.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/how-playing-madden-online-could-cost-you-10/1398633

Anybody else pissed?

Yes and no. I'm happy that this will hurt Gamestop and their pawning of used games, but I'm sad that this will also affect rentals and gamer-to-gamer resale.

lol consoles, people actually play games on those things?

Nah, they just use it for Netflix, Facebook, and Twitter. I think they also added last.fm on it or sumtin.

Wait, so even if you are on a PS3, you have to pay to play this shit online?

What the shit?

and sports games are just the beginning . . .

Wooow. Not that I even play sports games, let alone online, but that's pretty awful. The bonuses they've been putting with new games are fine as long as they're just extra maps or whatever, but making you pay to access an entire part of the game because you got it second hand... that's the kind of thing that (hopefully) loses you customers.

I hope this doesn't catch on...

EA sports customers are dumb anyway.

WOO NFL 2010! THIS IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH BETTER THAN NFL 2009!

>EA Sports
>Pissed

No, I really couldn't care less.

EA sports customers are dumb anyway.

WOO NFL 2010! THIS IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH BETTER THAN NFL 2009!
The roster update and new tackle animations are going to change EVERYTHING!

This all seems a pretty logical extension of "project 10 dollar" or whatever it was called. It's hardly a Ubisoft moment of utter intrusive ball-sack dangling...

or:
new tackle animations are going to change EVERYTHING!
Post-game shower minigames are go?

why are people surprised? they've already done this with dragon age, mass effect 2 and bad company 2 o_O

EDIT: whoops didnt read it properly :p

ok no online MP AT ALL without the code? Right thats a bit worse than the me2/bc2 stuff =/

that's the kind of thing that (hopefully) loses you customers.

There is really no way they'll lose customers. People will just stop buying used games, which aren't customers to EA anyways, since only the retailer sees them dollars.

Damn, so they churn out the same shit every year, leaving tons and tons of the previous titles in the used bargain bins for $0.99 and now they expect people to put even more money into that? As a fan I would be outraged and disgusted.

But as I am not a fan.... lol.

This won't matter at all once it all goes digital anyway. People won't be able to be mad long enough for this to become a serious issue. I suppose it's a shame for rentals, but who would rent for multiplayer anyway? It takes more than a few days to be able to appreciate multiplayer.

Back