Emotion?

thefiznut

Spy
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I have read so many threads and I don't think it's been brought up.

Gabe and the Valve guys have been stressing a lot that HL2 will raise the standard in human interaction with the characters of the game. They've been working extra hard to make sure the characters have an emotional impact with the players.

Do you think that you could have deep feelings torward the characters in the game as you play it? Some people are more emotional than others, so I could easily see some people reacting to the characters deeper than others. I guess really we won't find out until we play it though. ;) Personally, I could easily see myself becoming obsorbed into a game world, if it's done right, and possibly feeling emotion torwards some of the characters. To me it's like a book. As i'm reading, I tend to forget about the outside world and imagine myself in the world the book creates. So, how about you? :D

Yea I think they could. Like you said, books can have emotional impact on you, you know it's not real, but you can't help but feel sad or happy towards the characters.

Books, yes, but I've rarely felt quite that level of immersion with an FPS. Some RPG's have brought it out in me; Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IX come to mind. However, I think that the FPS genre is more conducive to sensory immersion than emotional immersion. Of course, I'm waiting patiently for Half-Life 2 to prove me wrong. ;)

When I was really young, before I actually understood how a game worked, I would get upset if I lost a member of my party. After I learned the mechanics of it, everything became prefabricated and fake. No matter how realistic the character might seem, I can't express emotion for it.

dura said:
When I was really young, before I actually understood how a game worked, I would get upset if I lost a member of my party. After I learned the mechanics of it, everything became prefabricated and fake. No matter how realistic the character might seem, I can't express emotion for it.

everyone knows that a book is made with a pen and paper yet you can still feel emotion for the characters it contains :E

I plan to have a strong relationship with Alyx, I will drill a hole in the side of my monitor and well.....

Play FF7, caring for a character and good plot builds have been around for a long time bub.

I had a few "moments" in FFX.

I was going through some stuff.

:LOL:

I am sure everyone who plays will have some sort of reaction to atleast one part of the game.
I believe Valve and know that I will experience those types of moments. I am thinking of feeling sorry for the citizens as they are oppressed by the Combine. Or having a close team mate die.

I can't wait for this game. :)

I'm a man of empathy and emotions, I can easily have emotions for a person on a photo or something just by seeing his facial expressions and such.. I've had these kinda emotions for games before aswell, and I bet HL2 will be like a rollercoaster in this case.

I wonder how Alyx would look like if she was having an orgasm... yes I know Im a sad pathetic geek and need to get a girl. :O

When you lack an answer for a question; ask mother.

well lets say when you were playing hl 1 and certain things happened. like your ally barney got killed by a zombie instead of you shooting him when was finished. that pissed me off.
the scientists on the elevator when the fell i felt helpless.
umm 2004 E3 vid. when you go to the apartment and the guy goes "ohh i thought you were a cop" i wasn't even playing the game and i felt wow thats too cool..

half life 2 will kick ass when it is release then when we are all done there will be half life 3.. cause if there isn't (shakes fist)

I haven't really felt emotion for characters, but oddly enough in the Freespace games I was sad when the Galatea and the Colossus were destroyed.

When givin a gun, you have the ability to choose who lives and who dies. They will have to show me a good reason for them to live whether it be emotion or personal profit, otherwise they may be an obsticle farther into the story. To bad i can't put a gun to anyone of the characters heads and ask them what their motives are for the future. I would start with the G-man. As a added incentive for the truth I would shoot them in the arm and tell them that if they want to be able to walk later in life they must tell me all that I ask of them.
But thats just me and how I like to cut to the chase.
Also I do not feel emotion for any game characters because I am to preoccupied with exploiting them for all they are worth and finding information of assumed enemies such as the combine.

Allies will be rather useful and bullet sponges for those sticky situations. I won't ever fight with a allie, I will use them as a distraction to get what I need and where I need. Assumeimg the bot AI is as good as they claim this will be very easy to accomplish.

I can see myself pitting Race X and combine against each other very often. Long live Molvania!

oldagerocker said:
Dr Spock, how could you tell them anything? Gordon is a mute :eek:

Well I was thinking of a, click on statment type of system. I think this was implemented into games like Fallout Series, Swg, and other Misc rpg's.

thier were a few moments in HL1 that caught my attention emotionally.

again heres why gordon is a mute. :)

he is you, as much as he is Gordon Freeman, and in order for you to be immersed in the character more, Its an excellent feature, as seeing Gordon (you) or hearing him speak, or even any dialogue, would most likely make a step back away from the feeling of you being in the game,

and instead just feeling like Gordon Freeman. detached away from the game more. Valve dont want this , and I can see why.. It makes for a more personally envolved experiance.

Dr.Spock said:
Well I was thinking of a, click on statment type of system. I think this was implemented into games like Fallout Series, Swg, and other Misc rpg's.

That sort of chat system really wouldnt fit in with Half-life, i dont want to have a set choice of things to say, sure it fits an rpg style game, but in fps i just wouldn't enjoy that.
Gordon will communicate by what you do, hence speeding up the yada-yada in the klieners vid by knocking over the monitor, and i think Valve said that at some point themselves.

Back