Entire map is bright

Billtcm

Reaction score
Hi I just started with hammer and I've seen a bunch of forums where people can't see anything due to lights but I have the complete opposite problem. Whenever I put any lights down or try to make a dark room by say not putting any lights in it, the entire level is still bright everywhere. I thought this might have to do with how I'm compiling or my light settings but I can't find anything on it. If you can help me thank you.

lol im getting the same problem its weird as hell. i want to mess around with the cool lighting! :)

IF there are no lights in the level at all, the system compiles it at full brightness.

If you have lights, it should compile properly. Copy and past the output from the compile programs here so we can see what the hell is going on.

how do u change the brightness to make it like night time or something?

This is what I get

** Executing...
** Command: Change Directory
** Parameters: "c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\billtcm\sourcesdk"

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\billtcm\sourcesdk\sdkcontent\maps\house.vmf" "c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\billtcm\sourcesdk\sdkcontent\maps\house.vmf"

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\billtcm\sourcesdk\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\billtcm\sourcesdk\sdkcontent" "c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\billtcm\sourcesdk\sdkcontent\maps\house"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Nov 22 2004)
1 threads
materialPath: c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\billtcm\sourcesdk\sdkcontent\materials
Loading c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\billtcm\sourcesdk\sdkcontent\maps\house.vmf
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (1)
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (0)
writing c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\billtcm\sourcesdk\sdkcontent\maps\house.prt...done (0)
Creating default cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox sky_day03_06...
Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
done (0) (26362 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Writing c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\billtcm\sourcesdk\sdkcontent\maps\house.bsp
1 second elapsed
Memory leak: mempool blocks left in memory: 49
Memory leak: mempool blocks left in memory: 1

I'm a little rusty on console commands, but try entering mat_fullbrightness 0 into the console. It's definately mat_something... have a play about til you find it.

well the command is mat_fullbright but it didn't do anything even after I turned on the codes, anyhow I did see this when I started the level
"Level unlit, setting 'mat_fullbright 1'". Yet I do have lights in my level, environment, and light both are entities

when you are compiling, vis and rad arent even running. its just bsp, so your map looks exactly as if you were in the editor. If you are using expert compile, go to normal. Also make sure that before you compile you set it to do everything on normal.

Thanks Triggerhappy I thought it had to do something with the compile but I wasn't sure, now if you could help me with one other thing. in my level I have "prop_physics_multiplayer" objects like a tv on a table in hammer. But when I load up the map the objects are thrown around the room like someone threw them all over.

multiplayer physics are a little touchy. If you run into a multiplayer physics barrel, it pushes you back. Im guessing the objects are pushing eachother away. Try making them just plain prop_physics models.

I got the same problem, but i can´t seem to find anything to make this work. I have been mapping before, so...
Everything (rad,vis etc) is running on normal, no leaks, i got lights in the map. When i compile, i see no problem (exept one wierd thing, porta_flow takes lika a year, never seen that before). Now, when i load the map in HL2DM, the console doesn´t even say "map_fullbright 1", so i have no idea why it wont work.

The map itself is a solid brush as ground, textured. And the walls and "roof" is all skybox, and ive cheked there is no leaks.

So, i´m lost. Any ideas?

You got HDR checked in the compiler? I figured out that solution just now.

EDIT: you know, maybe that doesn't have anything to do with it.

EDIT2: Oh crap. I made a major thread bump here. My mistake (two years too late!).

Back