Environment building

simon

Spy
Reaction score
Here is the final version of the first part of a building complex i made for my HL2 mod www.off-limits.be . There should be around three models in the end, maybe more. This so they can be used as seperate models for the mappers, and don't only match this building. In the end it should be a cement company, this is the concrete silo with the office building attached.

cement_building_01.jpg

cement_building_02.jpg

map preview:
cement_building_03.jpg

Cheers

- Wesley

I think models are just for the outside of the buildings and hammer is for the inside and outside... kinda thing.

I did model the top part hole (a player will be able to go in there, a snipe spot :p ). But no i didn't model the interiour.

The mod is coming along nicely, we are working on our internal alphas every day, it's getting there step by step :)

is your mod large scale?

because it's not usually a good idea to model your buildings as props..

but if it's in a large scale mod (maybe an RTS) then that's actually a pretty good idea....

yo simon i was checkin out your portfolio why dont you texture the VBCI tank it would look awsome with a texture on it.also you should make a texturing tutorial , like how to make a texture.

most buildings will be bsp, and we will probbly map out the main building in hammer, and i'll just make the nessesairy models to go on that building then, we still need to test that. If it runs ok as a prop we will leave it of course, if not i'll detach what is needed.

arman, making a texture tutorial would take way to much time and space for me to upload, and i can't draw in a 600*600 window, i need my full screen 1920*1200 (and that would be way to big as a resolution :p )

some small updates, added props and started making new props + 2nd part of the building:

waverder.jpg

waverder1.jpg

2nd model is done, adding some details to the building.
Next step is to make the machines that run the factory.
There are still some area's to tweak, but i will do that once the whole scene is complete, will be easier when i'll have a whole view of the factory.

cement_building_06.jpg

cement_building_07.jpg

map preview:
cement_building_08.jpg

- Wesley

I suggest slapping on some ambient occlusion, baking them and then combining it with the textures.

yea, i was planning to bake them when it's all done. Since i never did it, gotta learn it sometime :p

Modeling the 1st machines is done, so far everything of the building is still below 5000 triangles (building + details + conveyor belts).

cement_building_09.jpg

cement_building_10.jpg

cement_building_11.jpg

- Wesley

Still need to fix some brightness parts on the conveyor belt and some parts left to texture and add a dirtmap, but the end is in sight.. finally.

cement_building_13.jpg

- Wesley

Very impressive modelling, however, the gas/oil tank ( I presume that is what you're making ) lacks any substancial detail. When looking at the rest of the building, that bland blob of grey takes all your creativity and throws it out of the window . I'd suggest adding a little more detail to that :)

lol, thats something i made in 3 minutes, just a placeholder.. i was gonna finish it as a seperate prop when i'm done with the building, and yes it will have more details then that :) but thanks for noticing :p

****in awesome man you have one of the best textures ever!

thx! Here are some updates on the conveyor belt, should be done by tonight.
Gonna compile the whole lot later tonight and put it in a map.

cement_building_15.jpg

Wow I have a lot of respect for Modellers who make worldmodels. Very nice work.

cool stuff simon, what reference's are you using..? looks like edited photomaps which is definately the way to do it. looking very good. Infact if you flashed that around at some game company's id say you'd have a great chance of getting a modeller/texturer job. along with other portfolio work.. etc

I edited the building a lot, fixed the roof gutters, silo walls, and made everything less "pavel". Here are the final in-game shots:

cement_building_ingame_01.jpg

cement_building_ingame_02.jpg

cement_building_ingame_03.jpg

cement_building_ingame_04.jpg

cement_building_ingame_05.jpg

cement_building_ingame_06.jpg

cement_building_ingame_07.jpg

cement_building_ingame_08.jpg

cement_building_ingame_09.jpg

Time to move on. I quit.

- Wesley

clarky003 said:
cool stuff simon, what reference's are you using..? looks like edited photomaps which is definately the way to do it. looking very good. Infact if you flashed that around at some game company's id say you'd have a great chance of getting a modeller/texturer job. along with other portfolio work.. etc

Thanks Carky, who knows...

About the references, i've been in construction all my life, so i know how factory's are build and how they work, so i can do pretty much make everything as i go. It's all in my head :p For this building i used an excisting building not far from my house.

- Wesley

Final high-rez renders:

cement_building_19.jpg

cement_building_20.jpg

6.30 am... need sleep bad!

- Wesley

also chill out on the noise, not every texture needs to be dirty and scratched.
gas tanks for example

Back