Episode 1 Gameplay Stats Revealed

Reaction score
Valve has released some statistics on those who have purchased and played Episode 1. Perhaps the most shocking one is that only 23.05% of people who bought the game have completed it.

See more details (like the most popular level, the area people died the most in, how many people are using DirectX 9.5, etc.) here: http://www.steampowered.com/stats/ep1/?gamesInfo

Definately some interesting results. :O

I'm really liking the Death chart. A funny stat is that ep1_citadel_02b (the last level of the Undue Alarm chapter) is easier on the Hard difficulty setting than on Medium or Easy. I wonder how that happened? :p

A True Canadian said:
I'm really liking the Death chart. A funny stat is that ep1_citadel_02b (the last level of the Undue Alarm chapter) is easier on the Hard difficulty setting than on Medium or Easy. I wonder how that happened? :p

People who choose hard expect a challenge and are prepared against dying? While people on medium and easy get suprised because they're so used to less challenge than that level offered? Dunno something like that.

I played it on hard and nearly died a few times with alyx against those combine troops that stormed the place. I was so shocked that not even the super gravity gun could help me! :O

In surprise that EVERYONE died in the dark tunnels and the hospital.

A True Canadian said:
Perhaps the most shocking one is that only 23.05% of people who bought the game have completed it.
Don't forget that the stats are from June 10th, not since June 1st.

This is interesting to read, thanks for posting.

Vwry interestuing look, explains a lot about other gamers and how easy (lol) HL2 EP 1 is, though it is still surprising how little people have completed it.

If you check that bit of info , it says that this stats in prolly in correct and the reson for the low number is because people quit before the credits ends or they have a bug collecting that bit of info.

Tamer17 said:
If you check that bit of info , it says that this stats in prolly in correct and the reson for the low number is because people quit before the credits ends or they have a bug collecting that bit of info.

Hehe, and I wonder if those people that skip the credits miss out on the Episode Two trailer.....? I wouldn't have thought so.

That is one well made/coded page by, congratulations valve :)

I'm sort of surprised that only 12% have subtitles enabled. They're missing out on all that juicy story, unless they have good ears and/or headphones.

Apocalypse89 said:
I'm sort of surprised that only 12% have subtitles enabled. They're missing out on all that juicy story, unless they have good ears and/or headphones.

Also a good display card and ram. Since it lags a lot which you can hear naught.

Guess they don't know how to accomplish certain puzzles in the game. I myself only needed like five minutes at most to solve each though. :)

Im not surprised so many people died on the last level of Undue Alarm, I died quite a lot there...

Apocalypse89 said:

I think the real crime is that only 15% have listened to the commentary mode.

I'm surprised people died at all in the citadel. I don't even know when I started dying. It was when the zombines started showing up I believe. Perhaps I should played on hard instead of medium.

Well now it's 23.14%. I guess the stats are live.

Ahh, the Law of Fives, why do you haunt me...?

I am surprised of how few died in Low Life. Granted, most of the level was pretty easy, but at the end I died almost ten times to a Zombine grenade, right when the elevator got down.

Lightice said:
Ahh, the Law of Fives, why do you haunt me...?

I am surprised of how few died in Low Life. Granted, most of the level was pretty easy, but at the end I died almost ten times to a Zombine grenade, right when the elevator got down.

Likewise. The only time I died during the game. And that was about 10 times.

EDIT: Oh. And also the very HL1-esque bit with the tripmines and the elevator. Died about twice on that by trying to be a ninja.

Remember, it only records stats if you are playing online. A lot of people also choose to play offline for whatever reason.

I think the stats are incorrect.....as valve says...alot of people probably quit before the credits

A True Canadian said:
I think the real crime is that only 15% have listened to the commentary mode.
Yeah. I can understand how your typical fan might not be interested in it, but I thought it was a really nice feature, and it helps get you some more bang for your buck since it makes you want to play through the whole thing again. Hopefully Valve keeps including commentary...I know Gabe has said that they don't like to put in things only certain people will see and the majority will miss or skip over entirely.

Murray said:
Guess they don't know how to accomplish certain puzzles in the game. I myself only needed like five minutes at most to solve each though. :)

Those puzzles are not actually a puzzle. They're quite easy if you have played hl2.

I died in Undue Alarm, when dog threw a pipe out from the junkyard it landed on me and killed me (right before he throws the van out)

This is actually awesome how Valve did this, it'll be great to see this for all the future episodes. Another bonus of utilizing Steam.

Zeus said:
I died in Undue Alarm, when dog threw a pipe out from the junkyard it landed on me and killed me (right before he throws the van out)

Well that's not as shameful as my diving out of the way ...over the cliff. :p

bbson_john said:
Those puzzles are not actually a puzzle. They're quite easy if you have played hl2.
Well, to some extent, yes, but you have to edmit that Valve tend to come up with original stuff quite often, so you never know what migt turn up.

Apocalypse89 said:

imho the subtitles in HL2 look really ugly, I can hear all the chats just fine with my headphones, so luckily I don't need them :p

Half-Life 2 and Ep1 are great games, however they tend to be very easy, I play them on hard, but I think I only died 8 times in ep1. I love ep1 though, I've just noticed that some of the best games are easy. :S

Zeus said:

I was standing in the wrong place and dog pushed me off the cliff once.

So, that 25% is the people who watched through the credits and everything? If it is, then that's believable.

Back