Episode 2: New Vehicle

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Valve tell us in a recent Steam update that they've been playing around with a new vehicle to be brought to Episode 2. Most of us have seen the odd looking car from the Episode 2 videos where fast zombies latch onto your roof, but this seems to be something different. A replacement or alternative, who knows!?
Half-Life 2: Episode 2 is being playtested here at Valve regularly now, and one of the pieces of the game that's getting strong reactions from our testers is driving the game's new vehicle. This thing's got some major horsepower.
Sure looks part for Episode 2! Also, with playtests in full swing at Valve we can assume progress is pretty far along. Ooh la.[br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif

I hope it's fast... and the rear end looks like it's from the same car as the General Lee.

What I don't get with Valve is that they are really hyping this game up. Releasing box art and even saying they have been playtesting these games for months. To me it sounds like the PS3 is holding them up and they are just bs'ing around the place adding a few touches here and there. Get'er done!

Yet another unskinned model from a mod!
You'd expect something textured by now...

This is seriously cool! As long as they can keep releasing little bits of info it will be awesome!:thumbs: I mean just look at "Assassin's Creed", that game hasn't had any updates since like September of last year! :flame:

It's funny because we had all those gameplay videos for ep2, TF2 and Portal back when it was going to be released soonish and now it's been pushed back to whenever the hell it is and we're getting illustrations for updates. Whoopdeedoo.

So wait, they've changed what we saw in the videos to that model in the images?, I actually liked the hacked up car thing they were showing off before.

It doesn't matter if it's unskinned at the moment, you can get a pretty good idea of what valve are going for now with those renders.

I'm gonna see about making a high-poly model of the concept art version sometime. That's a great concept.

Note the unrendered/unfinished background - I'm sure Valve are revamping more than just the car.

They seem to be rerendering the entire damn game.

Damn nice, some FlatOut to HL2 :D That is just like one of the cars in FlatOut 1, and it is wrecked just like it.

I hope they will still keep the other Buggy that was in GC trailers, 2 different vehicles would be damn nice.

Wow amazing :rolleyes: , new game-content! Thats why it's taking them so long to release!:hmph:

Also, with playtests in full swing at Valve we can assume progress is pretty far along. Ooh la.
Haha, you wish!

I think they just removed the car texture because they want to hype it.

-dodo

Hopefully this vehicle doesn`t replace the old one.

I think they just removed the car texture because they want to hype it.
They dont want to hype it? lol!

Maybe they dont show the texture because it's full of adverts!

IMO this IS textured

I don't think the car texture has been removed at all. I can make out bumps in the seat and tread on the tires. Surely that's all from a texture.

I think they just whacked a filter over their screenshots for some reason... (or there is some ingame filter, but in any case it looks textured to me)

typical eastern-european car... it must be teleported from some US scrapyard during the portal storms... :LOL:

well the back is from a 60's charger I think and those are famous cars for its aceleration

so maybe we will go drag races whit the combines:p

http://storefront.steampowered.com/Steam/Marketing/message/958/

Half-Life 2: Episode 2 is being playtested here at Valve regularly now, and one of the pieces of the game that's getting strong reactions from our testers is driving the game's new vehicle. This thing's got some major horsepower. Here's a peek at some of the early vehicle concept work.

To me this seems like the car we see here is pre-video material, which would be supported with the renders. In my opinion, it seems very unlikely that Valve would start some things all over again now given they have been working on it since the start of episode one (the whole simultaneous working idea).

Looks nice.

The current buggy sucks. It's not fun to drive.

dont really like the design myself. It looks like theyve gone for the "half finished garage build" they went for with the older go kart but its been done already. That said I'll reserve my judgement until I see the final and anyway I'm more concerned with how it handles. I really hated the kart in the original game. I duno it just didnt feel nearly as fun to me after the awesome hovercraft level.

Am i the only who understood that they are showing the not renderd pic not because they still making it , but they wanna unveil it later to us?
The game IS being playtested so they a have a working veichle. They just chose to release a picture that won't reveal it all.

The car looks cool.

What I don't get with Valve is that they are really hyping this game up. Releasing box art and even saying they have been playtesting these games for months. To me it sounds like the PS3 is holding them up and they are just bs'ing around the place adding a few touches here and there. Get'er done!

It is virtually done, if you're going to blame anyone, blame EA for not having it in your hands now, and while your at it blame consoles as well.

To me this seems like the car we see here is pre-video material, which would be supported with the renders. In my opinion, it seems very unlikely that Valve would start some things all over again now given they have been working on it since the start of episode one (the whole simultaneous working idea).

I think you are right.

I've always dreamed to have a mustang or a charger in HL :LOL:
Thank you valve...

I hope it's fast... and the rear end looks like it's from the same car as the General Lee.

I was thinking the same thing. If the two woodcutters in the forest are indeed the Duke Brothers, then you know where they got their inspirations :thumbs:

Oh, a new car model. That definitely means it will handle a lot better and be faster than the older one. Because video games are exactly like real life.:rolleyes:

Back