Expansion Pack Theories & Thoughts

L

LeoPawnz

What are your theories and thoughts about the inevitable expansion pack? Who will you play as? What might be revealed about the story's mysteries?

My Theory
We will play as Barney, but we will start right after the end of HL1:BS and fight in the 7-hour war. We will play all the way through up to the explosion at the citadel, and see but a few precious seconds of what unfolds during the explosion. We will learn of the combine invasion, the alliance between the resistance and the vortigaunts, the surrender and appearance of the citadels, and of course, we will see gordon run and possibly fight by his side.

No, not the 7-hour war. That wouldn't work. Opposing Force 2 would be really neat, though.

Of course it would work, and besides, it's not just the 7-hour war, it's also some of what leads up to it after black mesa and all of the main story from barney's perspective as well. What do you suppose OPFOR 2 would be about anyway, the combine? I doubt it, but if done right, that would be cool.

i think it would be SWEET to play as the combine. i dont know what exactly you would do (maybe overtake city 17 or something) but it would be cool.

There are problems with the 7 hour war - The time line is huge - and I can't imagine that the Expansion would take place somewhere other than City 17 - the 7 hour war would require a completely new build of environment - especially if it takes you back to the time just after Black Mesa. Totally new Level designs and textures and the whole nine yards.....Too much for an expansion i think.

My guess is that we haven't seen the end of dog.....He was under utilized in HL2 and will make a new appearance in the expansion and so will Sheppard or Barney.

The timeline for the game is - the week that Gordon was lost in the transporter with Alyx. I see a game developing around the rebellion that was created by Gordon's arrival and how the rebellion managed to fight back the combine to the point that we found upon completing the teleport jump that went a little wrong when it took so long..........

It might explain some more of the story........I hope. And there would be an opportunity to bring back Sheppard.....It makes sense when I think about it.

Can someone confirm that Opposing Force took place during the same time period as Half Life 1??? I believe it did. And I think it stands to reason that Valve would want to recycle most of the textures from City 17 into any expansion which says to me that the expansion will take place in City 17.......and it has to be something that makes you run around and shoot allot of people which makes think the rebellion.

I know there is something about the teleport jump that goes beyond an easy way to kill the intervening time between day #1 and day #7.

LeoPawnz said:
We will play as Barney, but we will start right after the end of HL1:BS and fight in the 7-hour war.

The idea is cool, however let's make ont thing clear. Barney Calhoun is one person, Barney "That owes Us Beer" is different one, right?

At the time of Gordon Train Ride in beginning of HL1, Barney Calhoun was banging on the door of the security station, and Barney "That owes Us Beer" was waiting at the platform at Sector C test labs (train's destination)
And So it seems that Barney "That Owes Us Beer" was the one HL2, not Calhoun.

Now, the idea of Barney Calhoun that escaped only to find out the whole Earth is being invaded is neat-o ;)

If story is messed up in a way two those Barney are the same person, then "Screw You Guys, I am going home!" Duplicate Barneys is where I draw the line... :rolling:

Oh wait...

CMG said:
Can someone confirm that Opposing Force took place during the same time period as Half Life 1??? I believe it did.

It did indeed. Opposing Force is "Back-To-The-Future-Part-2"-type expansion, where you sort of see same events from different point of view. Blue Shift was the same way, too, perhaps even more into that, since there you come close to HL1-Gordon couple of times in Blue Shift.

The Barney that owes us a beer is Calhoun. Barney makes it through BMRF, and sees Gordon about to be shipped to Nova Prospekt. I'm guessing we get to play from Alyx, and Barney.

I have an idea for an expansion, which i am hoping to mod, but have emailed gabe first because i resurects certain things cut from the game, i.e the air exchange facility and the borealis and stuiff

An expansion pack that involved the 7 hour war would divulge to much information I think that is better left in the dark at this moment in the plot as there are probably some vital events in it. As for an opposing force 2 expansion that would be pretty cool but there weren't any marines in Half Life 2 from Shephard to be, maybe he joined up with the resistance. An expansion from the point of view of Barney or any other random resistance member would be quite interesting. I think the best expansion pack would be Half Life 2 from Alyx's point of view. That could be made to be quite interesting.

an expansion playing as Dog would sell I think :D

no grav gun needed, you could pick up almost anything

My guess is that it will be Alyx or Barney before Gordon arrived. Maybe we get to know how exactly they got to know that Gordon is coming back.

Another possibility: right after Gordon disapeared again to continue the overall story.

I doubt we will see Shepard in any of the first expansion if at all (would be nice though) and also doubt we will be taken too far into the past.

I would bet it will be Alyx, it is strongly hinted that she has seen alot of action.

It will most likely be Alyx, Barney, or even Shepard fighting as members of the resistance. Valve/Gearbox most likely won't set it in the Seven hour's war because that requires totally different characters, etc. Instead, they can easily expand the HL2 universe through an expansion about the resistance that takes players to some of the places not seen in HL2 but already seen in screenshots: the air exchange, the depelted coastline, the icebreaker, etc etc and will probably implement the additional combine units (combine guard, stalkers, synths, etc) as additional enemies to fight.

They gotta find a way so that you can captain a Strider though. Boy that would be some fun!

I would bet it will be Alyx, it is strongly hinted that she has seen alot of action.

HAWT ALYX AKSHUN.

Perversion aside, I bet it's gonna be Alyx's mod first.

What do you guys think about, Half-Life: G Shift . The G-man is not joking around when he opens up his suitcase packed full of weaponry.

:E:E:E:E:E:E
lol

Maybe you could do one from Father Gregory's perspective, divulge more into the fate of Ravenholm. I dunno, probably wouldn't work, but it's a thought.

I put my money on a Barney expansion pack. But if it's Alyx, I hope its a bit stealthy. Not entirely like Thief or Splinter Cell but 50-50.

how about the vortigaunt in the drainpipe and why he gets screwed into munching on a head crab?
seriously though, alyx would be a likely choice because of her being such a prominent character in the story. however, barney would make a good choice because we know so little about him after HL1/blue shift when he was one of the survivors of black mesa.

If you read the strat guide, you find out that Eli has his leg eaten while helping Kleiner over a Fence. Maybe they'll bring in that. I'd be willing to bet that Barney would be with them in that situation, otherwise they probably wouldn't have met up elsewhere. They also want to elaborate on Alyx's background, and given the narration of half-life games, that would be impossible if she is the main character.

OpFor 2
Playing as a Combine squad leader would be nice mowing some of these rebels. Riding on Striders and Gunships. Firing headcrab shells in orphanages and elementary schools would be a blast.

Blue shift 2
Barney as he manages to work undercover for the Combine police and is assigned spying missions and has a very hard time keeping up with the beating quotas....

Eli's daughter
Well, just give it the name you wish. You'd play as Alyx of course, as she managed, under her dad's worried eye, to get experience as a deadly fighter. Maybe in city 13 or wherever...

Uh Barney in HL2 is the same Barney Calhoun from Blue Shift. (Prima Guide) After all in the Blue Shift manual he does get transfered to Anomolous Materials. Source

And I'd like to see Shephard again. Perhaps he'll be working with a few "Old Buddies" like Tower! :D

Venmoch said:
And I'd like to see Shephard again. Perhaps he'll be working with a few "Old Buddies" like Tower! :D
Yeah, I had an idea just like that. I think you should start wearing all the same soldier gear and uniform and then suddenly apear in the wastelands, and you and your squadmates (tower and maybe the commander) make your way to help, running into Blackmesa East, resulting in Eli making a double take when he realizes who you are. Then you could get teamed up with Otis. The could also expand upon the attack on Black Mesa East when Eli gets captured.

puppy said:
OpFor 2
Playing as a Combine squad leader would be nice mowing some of these rebels. Riding on Striders and Gunships. Firing headcrab shells in orphanages and elementary schools would be a blast.

You are evil, Puppy. x.x

Here's an idea. So that Valve can break the 'wall of silence' for the veiwpoint character, and keep us all entertained by Alyx's witty banter, why dont they set it from Dog's perspective? It would be a whoooole different game, but highly entertaining.

I can see it now.

Half Life 2: Dog Of War

Back