Face Poser

lordoftheroot

Reaction score
I have Face poser up and running. And i want to do something with it. and sence there is no guides out right now i was seeing if you guys have found some cool stuff to do with it

Just open up the barney 1 file (whatever it's called) and tamper with the sliders and buttons... eventually you'll get an idea of what's going on.

Fun fun fun ! :)

I've been trying to figure out how to import custom .wav files into it =/

-Alix

How do i set the face poser up it says "The configuration information for the game youre trying to edit is infalid or missing"

Face poser is easy to use.
They have some great guides at hl2 world dot com

Yeah the HL2 world wiki has a good guide to get you started. A couple of quick pointers to save grief.

If you are having troubles running it at all, first try resetting the game configurations on the SDK menu. If that doesn't work, create your own mod with the mod wizard and run it under that.

If you can't get phonemes to generate from your .wav files, first make sure you have SAPI 5.1 installed: http://www.microsoft.com/speech/download/old/sapi5.asp
If you are still having problems, make sure you put your .wavs in theValve\Steam\SteamApps\xxx\half-life 2\hl2\sound\sdk_faceposer_samples folder.

Some users, me included, seem to be unable to add our lip synched .wavs into the choreography, there is no option to browse for the .wav you want to add, this doesn't seem universal though, so if it happens to you, just hold out, the finest minds in the Galaxy* are working on a fix.

*Not true.

Wow you can let Alyx say Barney's lines :p Pretty cool stuff!

Face Poser is a fun toy but it's a bit buggy at the moment, for example the Window menu shows that the proggie would have all the possible windows already open but that's not true, just click any of them to find out yourself.

ok it looks like every one is in the same boat as me right now. Do you know if this is the full face poser software. We didn't have the full hammer program for the longest time.

I expect updates to it, as I am getting some random crashes and locking up of it as well as the other mentioned probs.

Its in the new update, run steam to get it.

On another note, I cannot get my own wavs to work in the Phenome Editor either, I keep getting the error: "Last Extraction Result: an error occurred during extraction" which I`m guessing means it isn`t reading the wav properly to generate the corect animation....

I have the SpeechAPI installed and have tried the folder suggested above.
The wav plays fine but the lips dont move at all (gman_high.mdl)......same with the wav file in the samples folder that was suggested above: sdk_al_showonroad.wav

Any other ideas....this is doin my head in!

I saw a thread that suggested that sourcesdk\sdkcontent\ would also work, given that a try?

But the problem is, I don't know where to start the SDK. I've downloaded the new update for steam but still can't figure out.

rIKmAN said:
Its in the new update, run steam to get it.

On another note, I cannot get my own wavs to work in the Phenome Editor either, I keep getting the error: "Last Extraction Result: an error occurred during extraction" which I`m guessing means it isn`t reading the wav properly to generate the corect animation....

I have the SpeechAPI installed and have tried the folder suggested above.
The wav plays fine but the lips dont move at all (gman_high.mdl)......same with the wav file in the samples folder that was suggested above: sdk_al_showonroad.wav

Any other ideas....this is doin my head in!

That happens if the wav file isn't in a default location. I've been putting mine in the HL2/sounds folder

As for importing them into the choreography, there's supposed to be a "choose file" button that isn't there. Otherwise, you have to edit one of the game_sounds.txt files in the /scripts folder for HL2 or your specific mod.

Once I've had more time to play, I'll be putting up some information.

-Brian

rIKmAN just posted this at the VERC forums:

"After much messing around I finally found the problem that I had (errors when trying to extract phenomes from the wav)

1) Run Mod Wizard and create your mod.
2) Browse to <InstallDir>:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\<ModName>
3) Create a directory called "sound" and copy the wav files you want to use in here. (optional - you can just put them in the <ModName> dir if you wish, but a sounds dir is cleaner)
4) Run FacePoser and try again, hopefully all should be well.

Note I tested this with the "sdk_al_showonroad.wav".
Hope that helps, had me frustrated for a while.

*EDIT*
Works perfectly with my own wavs now as well...this is gonna be good - lots of tweaking with the phenomes etc to get it looking right though

Is there a way to get these into the game yet?"

See my previous post and read the documentation.

It's fuzzy at best, but it gives you an idea of where you need to go.

the following was just posted by Bippage at VERC:

To activate a scene within a map, you create a "logic_choreographed_scene" entity somewhere in your map. It would make sense to do it near where the scene actually is happening.

Then you go into the properties for it, give it a name. For Scene file, browse to where you saved the vcd in Faceposer, and load it there. It should realistically be put in the "scenes" folder. The targets are for look at and move to targets and those get attached to objects in your map, if you have them.

Then you create a trigger or an event that sends the Start command to the scene. When you compile your map and run it, when you activate that trigger, the scene should start.

polypod said:
the following was just posted by Bippage at VERC:

To activate a scene within a map, you create a "logic_choreographed_scene" entity somewhere in your map. It would make sense to do it near where the scene actually is happening.

Then you go into the properties for it, give it a name. For Scene file, browse to where you saved the vcd in Faceposer, and load it there. It should realistically be put in the "scenes" folder. The targets are for look at and move to targets and those get attached to objects in your map, if you have them.

Then you create a trigger or an event that sends the Start command to the scene. When you compile your map and run it, when you activate that trigger, the scene should start.

I forgot that I have two different names. I'm Bippage over there, but I created this account before I started using that name all the time.

I ought to just get it switched over here, eh?

Can anyone help me. Had face poser working fine for a few days, then all of a sudden i tried to load it and nothing happens, all the other programs in the sdk work fine apart from this? any ideas. ctrl alt del shows it running under processes. thanks

Back