Favorite In-game Music

staticprimer

Reaction score
I have seen many people comment on how good the music in this episode is. I whole heartily agree and I ask you, what music stands out to you in particular. I especially enjoyed the piece that plays right after the Ant-lion Guard fight (song 4 in the GCF). It was this song that caused me to bother opening up the GCF's in the first place. I would also like to give a mention to the music that plays when you fight the zombines for the first time, just after Alyx's zombine joke (song 11). While its a-tonal nature makes it kind of hard to listen to out of context, in game it was put to great use, making the sequence (in my opinion) one of the best in the game. What songs do you like?

Edit: Bleh, I just noticed another music further down. Lock/delete this thread if you will, I am not too observant early in the morning.

The one that starts playing in the hospital. Not sure which number it has in the GCF, haven't looked around in them yet.

the song playing in the hospital is "vlvx_song18.mp3" and it's great for me too :thumbs:

My favorite is the one in the fourth teaser trailer. Song4...

hard choice between song 4 and song21
something about song 21 (the song at the last battle) makes you feel like that its last fight and sounds like your ready for a crapload of action. Its the same song in the 2nd launch teaser

Hypnosos said:
The one that starts playing in the hospital. Not sure which number it has in the GCF, haven't looked around in them yet.

Song 18.. Thats my favorite. I think that sequence is the best in the game.

Song 18 is the best for listening to when not playing, but the one that plays after you first encounter the zombine is just totally awesome.

id have to say song 21, when the strider comes out and the combine propell down, brillant. And the strider going crazy shooting its beam cannon everywhere, really a moment that stood out to me

I liked song 18 the best since it is good ingame and by itself. It is also longer than most of the others. Song 11 is probably the next best one for me. It was also used in the EP2 trailer.

That's funny, as I was kind of disappointed in Ep1's music. I loved HL1s edgy rock songs like Military Precision, and I loved HL2's atmospheric songs, and the faster ones as well.

I wasn't a fan of Ep1's techno-ish stuff though. The only one I even noticed in game was the hospital song. I didn't hate it, just wasn't my cup of tea. I don't know if anything will ever top HL2's song20 for me though. It's just cool. :cool:

TST_Devgru Seal said:
My favorite is the one in the fourth teaser trailer. Song4...

Isn't that the third teaser trailer?

Anyway, I like Song 18 the most and Song 4 trails behind.

ShadowFox said:
I don't know if anything will ever top HL2's song20 for me though. It's just cool. :cool:

Which GCF do you find that in? And is it the one in Apprehension and the one in the lighthouse fight?

how do you see Half life 2's music that isnt from episode 1?

Also, how can I get this to work with iTunes?

VLVX song11 was pretty nifty when I heard it. Plays when you get into your first sizable battle with all the Zombine. Probably my favorite from the whole episode.

VLVX song12 I believe played when you're waiting for the elevator.

VLVX song21... No idea where. But it's also pretty sweet.

Half-Life's music in general is awesome. Got a bunch of tracks from all the games burned on a CD somewhere...

PricklySponge said:
how do you see Half life 2's music that isnt from episode 1?

Also, how can I get this to work with iTunes?

You can use GCFscape to open up the GCF files in your SteamApps folder. There you can find the music in the "source sounds" file. They are already in mp3 format, so just extract them and load them in itunes.

staticprimer said:
You can use GCFscape to open up the GCF files in your SteamApps folder. There you can find the music in the "source sounds" file. They are already in mp3 format, so just extract them and load them in itunes.
works! thanks for helping a noob:cheese:

Back