Favourite movie director?

Skaadi

Tank
Reaction score
I know there was a thread about this but it was last year so.........

Anyway, my favourite director is Akira Kurosawa. I'm not sure if anyone here has heard of him but he directed all those old Samurai films that I like.....Seven Samurai, Sanjuro, Yojimbo,ect,ect. :D :E

*cough*

Ridley Scott or James Cameron or maybe Danny Boyle or Steven Spielgberg. :thumbs:

Steven Spielberg. He can turn an otherwise average movie into an amazing one (War of the Worlds. Anyone whose seen that can agree the first half of the film is absolutely intense. Meanwhile the second half sucks, but thats more to do with the script)

I liked War Of The Worlds throughout its entirety.

yo mamma

or ridley scott, james cameron, many others
i dislike jerry b, spielberg

I really disliked WotW.
But anyway speilberg has the most movies I like. Apart from him James cameron, david fincher, christopher nolan.

Steven Spielberg, Quentin Tarantino, Ridley Scott, James Cameron and Brian De Palma.

Sparta said:
War of the Worlds. Anyone whose seen that can agree the first half of the film is absolutely intense. Meanwhile the second half sucks, but thats more to do with the script)

Pffft

Stanley Kubrick > Everyone

Having said that , I do like Tarantino, Fincher, Spielburg (when hes at his best). Cronenberg films make me giggle. There are others that I cant think of right now.

Sulkdodds said:
Ridley Scott or James Cameron or maybe Danny Boyle or Steven Spielgberg. :thumbs:

My respect for Ridley Scott went straight down the pan when he did Black Hawk Down, what a white wash that was...:rolleyes:

The best would be James Cameron, Steven Spielberg or someone like Peter Jackson.

Either Steven Spielberg or Peter Jackson - can't wait till King Kong. :bounce:

hmm, I'd say it depends on the genre.

Sci-Fi - James Cameron
Fantasy - Peter Jackson
Foreign / Cheap indie films - Luc Besson
Action - Steven Spielberg
Prison - Frank Darabont

David Lynch
Jim Jarmusch
The Coen Brothers
Sam Mendes
David Cronenberg
John Huston
Ridley Scott
Steven Spielberg
Roman Polanski
Stanley Kubrick
Brian De Palma
Orson Welles
Martin Scorese
Christopher Nolan
Darren Aronofsky
Oliver Stone
Bryan Singer
Billy Wilder
Richard Linklater
Thomas Vinterberg

I know there's some I definetly forgot...

Ridley Scott - Blade Runner, Gladiator
Sofia Coppola - Virgin Suicides, Lost in Translation
David Fincher - Fight Club, Se7en, The Game
David Lynch - Mulholland Dr.

Peter Jackson. David Lynch. Terry Gilliam. David Fincher. The four I can most immediately think of liking everything they've done. I like stuff by the big namer's of course (Spielburg, etc.), but they have movies I despise.

*ahemA.I.*

Quentin Tarantino,
Alfred Hitchcock,
Stanley Kubrick,
James Cameron,
Ridley Scott,
Tony Scott,
Robert Rodriguez,
David Fincher,
Peter Weir,
George A. Romero.

I'm sure there's more...

Can I go as far to ask all of you your favourite Kubrick?

For me it's Clockwork Orange, then Barry Lyndon, then Dr Strangelove. Honourable mentions to Full Metal Jacket and The Shining.

Akira Kurosawa, Stanley Kubrick, David Lynch, and Steven Spielberg i n no particular order, and not all of my faves...

(as for fave kubrick, gotta go to full metal jacket, purely because of r lee ermeys portrayal (portrayal the right word? seeing as he was one in real life) of a drill sergeant, the first half of that movie is just a tour de force of intense acting

Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott, James Cameron, Rob Bowman, George Lucas (someone says he is poor director but I like him because Star Wars saga, and his old movies)...

oo, also id like to add Franklin J. Schaffner who directed George C Scott in "Patton"

Kmack said:
Akira Kurosawa, Stanley Kubrick, David Lynch, and Steven Spielberg i n no particular order, and not all of my faves...

(as for fave kubrick, gotta go to full metal jacket, purely because of r lee ermeys portrayal (portrayal the right word? seeing as he was one in real life) of a drill sergeant, the first half of that movie is just a tour de force of intense acting

Thank god, I thought I was the only one here who likes Kurosawa

Skaadi said:
Thank god, I thought I was the only one here who likes Kurosawa

seven samurai = one of the greatest movies of all time.

and thats just the beginning of kurosawa's greats (i LOVE Yojimbo), glad there's another fan here :cheers:

lars von triers, Martin Scorsese, Ridley scott (before his gung-ho war movies), Kubrick, Fedrico Fellini, Akira Kurosawa, Orson Wells, David Lynch, Cohen brothers, Pedro Almodovar, Tarantino, David Lean, Woody Allen, Alfred Hitchcock, jim jarmusch, Sergio Leone, Jean-Luc Godard....

there's just too many greats to have a favourite

Aaaargh! How could i forget Gilliam, Ridley Scott and Hitchcock!

*Hits head on desk*

Kmack said:
seven samurai = one of the greatest movies of all time.

and thats just the beginning of kurosawa's greats (i LOVE Yojimbo), glad there's another fan here :cheers:

Personally I prefered Sanjuro to Yojimbo, not that Sanjuro was of higher quality, it being one one of Kurosawa'a more lightherted films, but because it was the first Kurosawa film i ever saw.

*cough*

Stanley Kubrick, James Cameron and Tim Burton.

Kubrick was amazing though. Over at the Internet Movie Database he has 6 FILMS in the Top 250 movies of all time. Dr Strangelove, The Shining and Full Metal Jacket were my favourites. Loved his other films as well.

Greatgat said:
Peter Jackson. David Lynch. Terry Gilliam. David Fincher. The four I can most immediately think of liking everything they've done. I like stuff by the big namer's of course (Spielburg, etc.), but they have movies I despise.

*ahemA.I.*
A.I. was an awesome movie.
Can't forget M. Night, he makes some pretty awesome movies too.

I forgot Francis Ford Coppola. Apocalypse Now, Godfather Trilogy, Rumble Fish...*orgasm*.

Back