Feature

Alieni²

Reaction score
Well dunno where i would post this but i presume VALVe sometimes reads these forums so:

It's been long bugging me that when u shoot to wall there just appears a texture of bullethole. Well it shouldnt be impossible to have a real hole in wall when shot, so u could see trough and so on. Of course I understand how much this would require from our rigs to have every wall breakable, but theres still way IMO When u shoot to wall there appears a transparent texture on the place where u hit. and the texture would go trough the whole brush and on other side the same thing. I think this would work...

discuss ^^

yeah but when you don't get a tunnel in that way, so when you look through it at a different angle, it looks like you also shot it from that point etc. etc.

CR35 said:
yeah but when you don't get a tunnel in that way, so when you look through it at a different angle, it looks like you also shot it from that point etc. etc.

true of course... I also thought that and itd really look stupid.

well then... suggestions? :D

You do realise that only things that can be seen directly are actually rendered dont you? Using that method would require a rewrite of pretty much every graphics card driver ever, thats the way they improve frame rates, they reduce the amount that is actually drawn.

Really, its a stupid idea anyway, a lot of bullets dont go through the wall anyways and are instead lodged within it so having a "transparent" hole isnt necessarily correct either. Really, until computers evolve to the point where everything can be destroyed realistically we wont see any real impact from bullets on the geometry. Theres way too many more important features to be developed in terms of the graphics that have to be developed before they even bother with destructable environments, i mean its only now that unified lighting and shadows are coming to the front.

Tomarru said:
You do realise that only things that can be seen directly are actually rendered dont you? Using that method would require a rewrite of pretty much every graphics card driver ever, thats the way they improve frame rates, they reduce the amount that is actually drawn.

Really, its a stupid idea anyway, a lot of bullets dont go through the wall anyways and are instead lodged within it so having a "transparent" hole isnt necessarily correct either. Really, until computers evolve to the point where everything can be destroyed realistically we wont see any real impact from bullets on the geometry. Theres way too many more important features to be developed in terms of the graphics that have to be developed before they even bother with destructable environments, i mean its only now that unified lighting and shadows are coming to the front.

True that too. Well it was just a idea. Thank you for explaining me why it wouldnt be possible yet ^^ I just need to wait till the new generation of rigs and games is out :D

How bad would games be, if instead of fighting all the guards in a crowded corridor, we could just blast our way in through the wall? Sure, it's not realistic, but it makes it more fun!

Take a pinch of the technology from Red Faction, a dibble of the lighting of Doom3, the vastness of environmets from Battlefield 1942 (Or a game with bigger levels), the view range of FarCry, the load times of Halo, and the storyline of a thousand monkies chained to typewriters, chuck it into the Source engine (With an upgrade Havok engine, it's still a bit buggy unfortunately) and you'd have a rather decent game. Until 5 years later.

Back