Finally the truth about "Black Holes"

iyfyoufhl

Reaction score
The Truth:

The only reason why we know about black holes is because of its name.

There are many other "things" in our world that are much more fascinating than black holes.
Nevertheless, naming or "branding" Black Holes makes us attracted to the concept.

Be aware...
Explore the world beyond the black holes...:borg:

Well, yes, we should all be focusing on the Higgs right now, but that's beside the point. Black Holes are interesting not because of the name but because of the concept, and it's a pretty darn fascinating one. Other interesting things like Supernovae are fairly well understood, as are Neutron Stars, etc. and everything else is too far away.

I watched the Stephen Hawking special on TLC once about his theories on Black Holes. I believe he resigned to his collegues/rivals that information is indeed lost in Black Holes.

I guess what this means is that there's no 'other world' beyond a black hole ammirite?

I watched the Stephen Hawking special on TLC once about his theories on Black Holes. I believe he resigned to his collegues/rivals that information is indeed lost in Black Holes.

I guess what this means is that there's no 'other world' beyond a black hole ammirite?

Yeah i saw it,it was yesterday on TV.I am more intrested in what will happen at the LHC.Black Hole or not it will be a massive event

Something sucking in the entire universe around it never to come out again isn't fascinating?

Plus I didn't know there was that big of a problem with people not being able to stop thinking about black holes :).

what the hell do people have against Oprah? she's a self made woman who struggled against adversity ...

....oh never mind I thought this thread was about Black Hos

Black holes are fasinating but at same time largely disturbing. I watched a documentary that stated that there was a supermassive blackhole in the center of every galaxy including our own, and they are the reason that galaxies form in the first place, so whereas they are the most destructive power in the universe, they also give life.

Thats why galaxies have that swirling look, because the stars and planets etc at orbiting around the incredible gravitational field of a supermassive blackhole in the center. Eventually in a few billion years or something, our galaxy will colide with the andromeda galaxy, the closest one to us, and two supermassive blackholes will combine with each other, making a super, supermassive blackhole, and will effectively destory both galaxies.

Black holes are fasinating but at same time largely disturbing. I watched a documentary that stated that there was a supermassive blackhole in the center of every galaxy including our own, and they are the reason that galaxies form in the first place, so whereas they are the most destructive power in the universe, they also give life.

Thats why galaxies have that swirling look, because the stars and planets etc at orbiting around the incredible gravitational field of a supermassive blackhole in the center. Eventually in a few billion years or something, our galaxy will colide with the andromeda galaxy, the closest one to us, and two supermassive blackholes will combine with each other, making a super, supermassive blackhole, and will effectively destory both galaxies.

While this might be true for the stars very near to the supermassive black hole, this simply isn't true for the rest of the galaxy. The galaxy orbits its own center of gravity, which just so happens to include the supermassive black hole.

Anybody watch the universe on the history channel? I absolutely love that show.

We will know more after our amazing experiments in CERN.

And everyone in this thread should read A Brief History of Time.

I imagine two galaxies colliding would cause many problems OTHER than their black holes combining... we'd be ****ed regardless.

like Polaris said, read A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking and also Hyperspace by Michio Kaku.

Also wtf @ OP... since when are black holes a problem? People like to think/talk about them because they're essentially holes in spacetime caused by incredibly high amounts of gravitational force, that's pretty trippy, not because they're named Black Holes.

Sigh...
Wiki said:
As with all such collisions, it is unlikely that objects such as stars contained within each galaxy will actually collide, as galaxies are in fact very diffuse—the nearest star to the Sun is in fact almost thirty million solar diameters away from the Earth.

No he's right. One day some one was like, "black holes wat?" and I was like "YEA!"

There wouldn't be many stars crashing into one another (although I bet that would be a pretty epic explosion), but the gravitational balance would get pretty messed up = destruction of all life

Why hasn't this guy been banned yet? He's spreading communist propaganda!

Here's an interesting article, on what might happen if two galaxies collide
http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/galaxies/colliding.html

I'd like to think of the galaxy as a Nucleus, or an atom. Imagine the Nucleus (Protons and Neutrons) as a black hole, sucking in the electrons. The reason why they don't go in is because they are in spin, and a centripetal force acts outwards on them, preventing collapse. Apart from that, each shell of electrons repels each other. So if you think of our solar systems in the galaxy as electrons, they would never collapse, right?

As I understand it best, black holes are matter to energy converters. the conditions of gravity are such that anything at the event horizon including light, is changed in vibrational frequency to such a degree that we can't see it anymore, and hence it appears black. It's interesting to note because light and matter are not being destroyed or 'compacted' they are being transformed into a higher vibrational state that is out of our spectral range. So black holes could be considered as perhaps a gateway to another dimension.

Black holes are some of the most interesting things our minds can comprehend. Even if its to the slightest they are fascinating.

A Black Holes is just a one big super particle, whereby the overall mass is so overwhelming that even the Electrons shells are crushed under the weight, thus making the electrons a part of a atoms nucleus, effectively the reason why Black Holes are much smaller than other stellar objects.

Back