Finished Character model to go... with fries!

SillyBilly

Reaction score
Well it be done - whata we think?
news_character01.jpg

news_character02.jpg

news_character03.jpg

More news and stuff can be found at the site - http://www.reinstatement-mod.co.uk :bounce:

i love the model but i still despise ur texture method u really should bump or normal map tose wrinkles ..to make them look more releastic they will really look fake with the realtime lighting and shading..

looks nice so far ...only thing i can say is that the way the arms connect to the torso looks kinda weird to me.,...might just be me.

Its an alright model, It seems quite nice but I dunno. I can't really think of any way to put it really.

6/10

not even a little 7 - lol - well the T pose looks a bit gay, I'll rig him tomorrow and let you see shots of him in a few different poses to see if I can notch that score up. Tis quite a low poly model by the way - under 3000 triangles - this is intentional though due to the large number of characters that will be on screen at a time.

I will give it a 7/10.

But like said earlier, you should bump or normal map the wrinkles to earn the extra points ;)

legs are still too long.

The texture is not so good on the front of the arms, the back of the arms looks better.... why is the back nicer than the front?

nice to see a fully skinned caracter model. :)

Right - started to bump map 'em - here's an early pic:
bump_example.jpg

I've parked an Omni light infront of his chest so you can get an idea how the 'shadows' cast over the texture. Any improvement?
Oh the head and goggles haven't been bump mapped yet... :bounce:

he has nice, feminine, slender shoulders.. he's a pretty little man.

I know you modelled the face after yourself, and it looks very well done.
However, to me you just don't look like you'd be SWAT?
(probably because you're 17 right?)

I think it looks rather good. I think the proportions look right.The relationship between the arms length and the body's length match and he's about 7,5 heads tall. I'd say you should be rigging now :)

babywax said:
I know you modelled the face after yourself, and it looks very well done.
However, to me you just don't look like you'd be SWAT?
(probably because you're 17 right?)
Hey, you're either SWAT or you're not... :E
... and I’m more cyclist than SWAT - so it figures...
Anyway thanks for your feedback guys - rigging has commenced so I'll upload more pics and maybe a few animations in the next day or two. :bounce:

If you meet any problems during animation, let me know. I can guid you if you get stuck:)

LOL – cheers lad, will do! If there is one thing I hate its animating LOL, rigging isn’t too bad but key framing is the work of Satin himself… You not working on any mods or anything yourself… ;)

You forgot about UV mapping, which is the most boring process of modelling.

Very good.

Deserves a 7.5/10 in my book. :)

Hey if we keep this thread up long enough I might even get an 8/10 - LOL.
Have one question about skinning (rigging, envalopes and such like) - how do you apply the weight of verts on - say - the left had side of a model over to the right? (in 3Ds Max)
I know it can be done but I ain't sure how... You know - so you only have to fix one side then mirror it onto the other. Mikademius this could be a question for you - lol.

have you given him strong, broad, john-kerryesque man-shoulders yet?

In maya you can mirror skinweights. I'd hit f1 and search for exectly that. I'm not sure if you need to go in the modifierstack to get that or if you have it elsewhere because I never got to rig in max, but I'm sure there's a way to mirror them. Weight the whole left side and then look it up. I can find out how you do it during the day if you like...And also, if that's possible in a game model (I'm not used to rigging for games) apply some influence objects in the fingers so you don't snap them off.

stOlve: UV mapping isn't a part of the modeling. The modeler usually gives it away to the textureartist as a plain model. If the modeler has been careless about the topology when modeling, that could be a bitch for the textureartist.:) Some modelers do the UV mapping too though.

Lets say you use max 6.
Under the skin tab you should find a mirror tab. I don't know if there are additional options there, but check it out.
If you have max 5 you have to go to http://www.scriptspot.com/
and download the skintools script.

I'm sure the helpfiles should explain this better.
search for skin skin, soubleclick the skin modifier category and
scroll down to the mirror parameters rollout. That's all the info I got :)

Hope it helps

ooooh nice job. I don't think the legs look long at all they look just fine.

Where the hell are my fries?

Could I see a fully self-illuminated screenshot/render?

Where the hell are my fries?
lol, sorry... I lied... john-kerryesque... ;) - as far as the render goes though I've almost finished riggin' him so I'll upload more shots once he's 100% done and in a few poses.

- Oh and thanks for the links Mikademius. laters! :bounce:

The Webbing/ Body Armour comes to far into the armpit,
That would seriously impede on arm movement, and also chafe like... well like a thing that chafes allot

...But it might just be me :rolleyes:

Stone said:
The Webbing/ Body Armour comes to far into the armpit,
That would seriously impede on arm movement, and also chafe like... well like a thing that chafes allot
this would not be an issue if our man had big, hulking, kerry shoulders.

Deserves at least an 8/10 me think :p nice model/skin

*OFF TOPIC* btw stone, 2-0 :D lol

nice.

he doesn't sem to have anyt shoulders though. the arms kinda look like tree limbs. also, the texturing on the arms definitely needs some work.

Texturing on the lower body looks great, but the bump/normal doesn't seem to be very natural.

moddeling seems a bit blocky, around the vest, the hips, and the lower legs (say, right above the boots).

The boots seem a little bit over symmetrical, not foot-shaped. No criticism on that, just my opinion.

make the jaw a little heavier, maybe? make the lips a bit thinner? I dunno. it kinda looks like there is alight in his helmet, pointing at his face... just me, but i thinkit's silly an impractical from a realism point of view...

I won't give it a score because it's a hundred times better than I could do. Just some constructive crit. from a (mostly) layman. :p

I'm starting to like it even better than before. I would say you're closing in on a 9/10. :) Keep up the good work, and take advice from Mikademius, not just because he's norwegian( :p ) but because he has got some nice modelling skills.

I really don't find the poses natural. On the first one he is standing too straight.Try to widen the gap between the legs or get his weight more to one side by moving the hip to left/right. Remember to counter the weight further up on his torso so he won't get unbalanced. Draw a line from the head through the center of the pelvis and down to the ground to see if the balance works. I recon your hands are not rigged yet so I won't comment on those, but the arm needs some work. You could either use an influenceobject in the elbow or get a morphtarget to be driven by the rotation of the lower armjoint.
The second pose looks more like a rigtest so I suppose that's exactly what it is. No need to comment that one.
The UMP looks a bit big. It looks funny now, don't know if it's the length or what :) Did you manage to mirror your skinweights? And could you tell us how you decided to rig him?

wow, huge improvment and i think the model is pushing on 9/10 :D the poses can be sorted out later... lets just consontrate on the model it's self.

LOL cheers Eddie – and the rest of you guys. In the end I was a bit lazy and used a Biped model from Character Studio to rig him with, I tried to mirror the vert weights on the... erm... weight table, but had little success so I simply had to do both half’s manually editing the envelopes – I’ll have to have investigate how to work that a bit more as it would save quite a bit of time.
I’ll upload a few more natural poses a bit later on – yea – the second one was just a test but I didn’t use any reference images for the first so I’ll smarten that up a bit too.
As for the gun – well – hmmm, I’ve never seen a UMP in real life before so I’ll take your word for it – LOL. I’ll try and source some images or dimensions for it online to see if I can get it sorted too.
Cheers again for the input guys! I’ll have more models done soon for you to criticise!

some parts of the bump is done wrong it looks lkind of flat....bumps are really hard to make...did u just use a greyscale of the texture? .

the bumping looks over done ....

The bump map is an ongoing process - lol, I know in some places it looks a bit off (particulary behind the legs) - I'm working on this on and off.
I actually painted the bump using the origional texture as a reftence - although it isn't a very high resolution and I intend to redo it - I've built my models in such a way that I can use, say the arms and legs from one model on another - just change the texture and keep the bump the same.
Anyways - you'll see more updates in time - so thanks again!

wait till i make the new UMP it will be so more pimp

Back