First real skin. =\

Samio

Reaction score
Most of the details I made in photoshop can't really be seen in the render, I'm not sure why. Also, I can't get that realistic shiny metal look and details if you know what I mean. Any experienced skinners have some tips for me?

EDIT: You know I think it's because of the lack of color. I'll try to make some parts made of a different type of metal or something. And how can I add a grime look to it. I want to make the pump look kind of grimmy

EDIT2: Ok I tried to add a bit of color to it, the first pic is my attempt.

firstskin4.jpg

wtfomgroflSKIN2.jpg

works to be your first. But it doesnt look like a skin, just plain colour :D

its ooookk. just needs colour variation and detail, and then it will be acceptable :p

It looks good to me for a first skin. You're better off than me. I made my Beretta (not the 9000 tutorial), but I can't figure out how to skin.

Where did you learn to make the .jpg and apply it to your model? I'm following a tutorial from XSI, but it sucks.

Someone else did the uvw's for me, I just made it in photoshop. I just needed something to practice with. :bounce:

But how did you learn how to put the textures on? Did you figure that out yourself?

By the way, are you using XSI to do this?

No I'm using max. And to put the textures on I just add it as a bitmap in the material editor. It automatically lines up with the uvw

Ah okay. Lol, maybe that's why you can figure it out and I can't. I'm using XSI (cause it's free and new to me), so I have to learn how to do all this stuff.

dude that's actually pretty sweet, and i can see nothing mediocre about it.

by the way, if anyone finds a good XSI uvwing and/or texturing tutorial, please PM me because i'm trying to find one too :)

it's okay, I'd say. good texture but like garfield said it's really just color. better than I could ever do :D

You have the technique, you just need some practice. Clouds, noise, blur are good. Dodge/burn is the key. Finally, a little trick: edges. Always think about the edges. When you look at an object, the edges are always scratched and the paint is missing. Reproduce that on your texture, use the dodge tool to do that (with different opacity and sizes). By giving a contrast on the edges the details will come out and you will see the parts of the model better. Also, remember to put light next to dark, contrast is important. Your gradients are good. You are on the right track. I love your models.

The one thing i see most strikingly missing from your skin is a sense of depth and shape. You need to provide more dark and light tones and add highlights. Overall, the skin needs to look like light is being shined on it. Look at real life weapons and see how light effects them and try to practice applying them to your future works.

Your skin looks ugly and you suck :|

Nah, i'm kidding, but they do need mroe variety. :)

Looks great!

The only thing that I think it needs is a little more depth, looks a bit flat :)

Back