For those of you w/ All-In-Wonder cards

Reaction score
Hi all! I am planning to get a 9800 pro, probably the AIW edition so I can record TV and stuff. However, I dont have a TV in my room, just a open cable outlet. Is there any way that I could hook an AIW directly to the cable outlet and "watch" whats on from my computer and record stuff? Otherwise I'd have to get a long cable to connect it to the next closest TV. Thanks ahead.

You are able to hook the cable from the outlet straight to your computer and watch television and record. You will not need to grab an extra long cable to plug into a tv from another room.

Yeah, all you do is just connect the cable to the AIW card. If you have a tv, you have to buy a splitter ($3 piece) and split the signal between the tv and computer (you can use both at the same time).

However, I would recommend a powerful computer though. Also, TV quality tends to stuck on computers because your monitor runs at a much higher resolution than tvs (1024 resolution compared to 480 resolution).

Thanks very much! Thats nice to know. I wanted something more "special" than a plain 9800 pro, but I didnt want to waste money on a 9800 xt, plus I dint fell like up-flashing a 256 9800 pro, so I saw this.

I dont quite know what you definition of a "powerful" computer is. Ive got a P4 2.53ghz proccesor, 512 mb rdram and then I'd get this. And I know about TVs running at crap resolution but that doesnt matter to me. Thanks for the help again!

You should get more RAM before trying to watch tv on your PC. Also, maybe think of upgrading your processor. What could also help you with resolution if you were to want a clearer image, buy a newer monitor, with HD capabilities or a higher standard resolution.

M'kay w/ rdram I wont be upgrading that any time soon, its special memory thats good but EXTREMLY expensive. my moniter can go up to 1600x1200

You should be able to get a decent resolution on there with that monitor.

you can't change the resoultion that the image your recieving is, and AIW cards don't recieve HDTV conent at all. That computer is more then powerfull enough to watch tv, its mostly being done via the ALL IN WONDER.

shapeshifter said:
you can't change the resoultion that the image your recieving is, and AIW cards don't recieve HDTV conent at all. That computer is more then powerfull enough to watch tv, its mostly being done via the ALL IN WONDER.

Recording stuff to your computer is a completely different ballgame though.

Back