Forceware 7120 fixed all my problems, horah!

F

freakybun99

ok, i've got an 5900. its ok, it runs far cry well (with texture loading pauses), it runs doom 3 well (in high), hl2? well i'm so impressed that it runs it (so far) at 1280x1024.

Anyway, although i've been missing the water eye candy those pesky dx9 "complient" ati guys have been experiencing. Tonight, i downloaded forceware 7120.

Horah, as if by magic, the video menu screen in HL2 says "DirectX 9".

So, i go back to the Route Kanal level. The sweet reflect all is now working! horah! and it runs really well, around 40 fps or so, enough to play throught the level again. I'd just got through ravenholm, now i'm going back from route kanal to see what i've missed.

I must admit that all i have missed running dx8.1 shaders is the water effects, but is it me, or under dx9, does everything have this slightly more overbright intensity about it? I feel it is just be revelling in running a year and a half old card seeing these features available to me at least - albeit on an ATI wired game....

So, no crashes, no frame rate issues, the sounds still stutter when loading textures (but hey, doom3 and far cry did "pause" when loading textures, its just their sound went out of sync for a moment!).

good results here.

:)

And where do we find this magic Forceware program? The latest version at nVidia.com is 66.93.

do they have anything for a geforce4 mx ?!?!??! that could let me run direct x 9 on it?

Nope, you can install DX 9, but you wont see the extra features as the hardware is missing from your card. But as HL2 demands DX9 is installed, I think you are as up to date as can be.

Yeah, GeForce 4 MX will not be able to get DX9 visual effects no matter what.

The MX range of cards are basically souped up geforce 2's, they lack shader pipelines and hence cannot utilise any of the shader features of direct x 8 or 9. You're stuck until you get a decent card.

Would anyone reccommend these betas over the omega nvidia drivers?

EC said:
According to the benchmarks at that site, the 7120 drivers don't make a lick of performance difference compared to earlier drivers. The results were all within several frames of each other.

But you get the nice water features - Which you don't get at the moment under DX9

BTW I've tried looking on the Nvidia site, they don't seem to have the beta listed anywhere.

I've just tried the new drivers and like the man says we've got WATER!!!! Finally it looks as it should. Nice one for the info - All FX5900 & 5950 users should get the driver from 3dGuru :thumbs:

I could take a screen shoot if you wish. Along with the latest update I can run at 1280 x 1024, AA X2, AF X8 now with no stutters. I have;

5900FX Ultra 256 Mb
2.8 HT Pentium 4
1 Gb Legs of Lamb

How do I get the FPS up in the console, I'll post a screen with the FPS on for reference. It might help us gauge (with the same specs) what we should be hitting.

As for the 5700, the drivers would work as their Universal, as would the water reflections. I'm not sure how it would handle the shading etc. But install the drivers and give it a whirl, the card is DX9 compatable so you should be able to make it look nicer and without the need to force HL2 to run in DX9 at startup. As for the AA & AF I wouldn't really worry about AA I'd set it to X2 and then try the AF the higher the better, but try not to take too much of a FPS hit with the setting too high.

Rossi

Back