Formatting an old hard drive and Re-installing Windows XP

staddydaddy

Reaction score
So, I'm in the process of preparing my hl2 comp and thinking that I should reformat my hard drive. Has anyone done this that has windows xp? I was thinking that I may not be able to do it because I thought xp has some sort of install cap (# of times installed). Isn't this true? If so, and you have formatted&reinstalled what did you do? TIA

Yeah ti does have an install thing. It happened to me, but it doesnt matter. You can reformat and everything, but when it asks you to register windows, you need to enter the code. And if you dont register you can only use for 30 days, but i just keep resetting my clock in BIOS.

I have reformatted my Windows XP Home Edition a bunch of times (probably around 10) throughout the past couple of years. And I have never had a problem.

Well, Here's my situation. I have 2 drives and I was thinking about backing-up/cleaning the smaller drive (drive I) then formatting it. Drive II has xp pro on it, so I don't know if I could install xp a second time on drive I. Basically I would be trying to install xp on drive I while I still had xp on drive II.

Theres no trouble in installing it, but after windows is up it asks you to register. And if you used the key to many times, it wont let you register. Then you have 30 days toget another code and register, or just keep resetting BIOS clock.

Originally posted by Sgt.Igneri
Theres no trouble in installing it, but after windows is up it asks you to register. And if you used the key to many times, it wont let you register. Then you have 30 days toget another code and register, or just keep resetting BIOS clock.
They give you a number to call when installing if you cant use the cdkey again, they basicly reset the amount of times you registered that key back to 0.

how bout just not registering ur copy of win xp? ive never registered my windows xp and i have no problems when installing xp

Man, I formatted like 4 times, and now when I try to register my copy of XP it says my cd-key is invaild. So, I had to rely on warez for an os. Becareful not to format too much.

ive probably installed xp like 10 or more times cause i frequently formatt both my comps and no problems so far

If you have a legal version that you should have...not that corporate edition, then you are required to "Activate" windows XP within 30days.
Registration is optional. I bet most of us mean "Activate" including me in the previous posts.

Originally posted by peterhoang2002
ive probably installed xp like 10 or more times cause i frequently formatt both my comps and no problems so far
Then call the 800 number. If you have a legit copy there should be no problem.

Back