Fortress-Forever 1.1 Released

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
[br]
1193907527_fortressforever.gif
[br]It's Here!, the new version of the Fortress Forever mod has been released today. There is a full 597 MB version or an 87 MB version to take you from 1.0 to 1.1:[br]

Incremental (1.0 to 1.1):
Full:

Ah. i don't think i'll bother then. Nice review.

Yes, someone forgot to mention the changelog... :)

Also, how exactly do you update with this patch? It didn't come in an installer form.
Do I simply overwrite the files with the content of the .zip file?

If you don't mind if being mostly a 1:1 remake of Team Fortress where flying medics and scouts own most servers, it's not too bad.

I feel sorry for the Fortress Forever guys. I was really looking forward to this, as I'm sure other people were too, and then they got dicked by TF2 announcement and release.

I feel sorry for the Fortress Forever guys. I was really looking forward to this, as I'm sure other people were too, and then they got dicked by TF2 announcement and release.
Whilst I do feel sorry for them in a way, it wasn't like Valve were deathly efficient getting Team Fortress 2 out of the door. They probably would have been a lot better off releasing a competent but unfinished mod a year ago, earning a player base and keeping them with updates to bring it in-line with what they managed in 1.0. Releasing at the same time as the TF2 Beta was just suicidal.

Likewise. In the week FF was out before the TF2 beta started, it was all I played nonstop. I really love their implementation of the pyro with 'debuffs' and burn levels.

But sadly, I enjoy TF2 more and I almost regret not playing FF.

what's the main changes on this version

btw: cannon fodder, if you're THAT cannon fodder, thanks for all you hard work helping us modders out :)

FF is a great mod, probably the best mp mod for HL2, but the TF2 release left me and I'm sure others playing TF2 instead. Really bad timing for them.

How on earth did these guys not release several months before tf2?

Really terrible timing.

I feel that the HL2.net review of FF sucked. :flame:

In a world full of people playing crap like Smod or Fakefactory Cinematic, you should be encouraging people to play polished total conversions like Minerva and Fortress Forever, even if it's ultimately slightly worse than TF2. There are enough differences to make anyone play this once or twice a week.

I feel that the HL2.net review of FF sucked. :flame:

In a world full of people playing crap like Smod or Fakefactory Cinematic, you should be encouraging people to play polished total conversions like Minerva and Fortress Forever, even if it's ultimately slightly worse than TF2. There are enough differences to make anyone play this once or twice a week.
It's a shame because, yeah, people do play that crap and FF is a very good mod. But at the end of the day, a site cannot review something and ignore the fact that there is something better simply because people have no taste when it comes to entirely unrelated single player mods. I should think that the FF team knew what they were getting themselves into when they made this mod: it was always going to be the case that the creators of the mod they were remaking were going to come up with something. Hell, this is Team Fortress 2 we're talking about. Nostradamus gave us less time to prepare ourselves.

Whilst I do feel sorry for them in a way, it wasn't like Valve were deathly efficient getting Team Fortress 2 out of the door. They probably would have been a lot better off releasing a competent but unfinished mod a year ago, earning a player base and keeping them with updates to bring it in-line with what they managed in 1.0. Releasing at the same time as the TF2 Beta was just suicidal.

you're right. I get the feeling they didn't have a choice, but still, releasing so close to the TF2 beta was the equivalent of running at a wall screaming "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHH CRY SOME MORE" and hoping that your sheer will and tenacity will cause you to break through the wall.

you're right. I get the feeling they didn't have a choice, but still, releasing so close to the TF2 beta was the equivalent of running at a wall screaming "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHH CRY SOME MORE" and hoping that your sheer will and tenacity will cause you to break through the wall.

That might be the worst analogy i've ever seen. I've spent the last three minutes trying to figure out how that would relate to the situation at all, to no avail. I want my three minutes back please.

Just judge by yourself, blindly following reviews of free mods is something I stopped doing long ago.
What have you got to loose ;)

Well i like TF2 more than i liked TFC (i still loved TFC tho, but this mod sounds very much like from things i've seen and read) So theres not really any point hehe :)

Back