FPS drops

P

Pablo

Hi!

I'm experiencing strange fps drops from a "steady" 80-100 down to 40-50 in certain places in certain maps. Mostly on Aztec, Dust and Office so far. In Cbble I had almost no drops at all besides form some places, and for no apparent reason. Anyone else experienced this? If it's already a thread about this, please delete this one and redirect me to the thread :)

(Running a p4 3ghz, ati radeon 9800pro 128, 1gb ram)

I've had similar issue with the game until I found this little fix...

Open the console and type: cl_smooth "0" and mat_specular "0". Add these lines to the autoexec.cfg file.

hmm.. Tried the commands, but still the fps drops.. also seems that cs:s has problem opening a sound file. flies1-5.wav or something.. only me?

try one of these r_mmx 1
adds support for MMX cpu processing, minor fps help, no gfx loss

r_sse 1
adds support for SSE cpu processing, minor fps help, no gfx loss

r_sse2 1
adds support for SSE2 cpu processing, minor fps help, no gfx loss

r_3dnow 1
adds support for 3DNOW (AMD ONLY) cpu processing, minor fps help, no gfx loss

r_3dsky 0
turns off some of the 3d objects looming in the sky. This is currently considered a cheat for unknown reasons, thus will only work in your servers until its fixed. Major fps boost. Little gfx loss

r_shadows 0
One thing im sad to say is....shadows in HL2 suck. Well at least in CSS. Until they fix this, itll look better without em. Major fps boost. Little gfx improvement

net_graph 3
this command draws a network graph on the bottom right of your screen. Its helpful for seeing if your connection has choke (bad network conditions). The game will act like crap with any choke. If it stays at 0 choke, you can turn this off(net_graph 0) as it takes a couple FPS to run. Helpful tool.

r_decal_cullsize 0
this sets the minimum pixel size of decals to be displayed. It lets you see bulletholes from farther off with effecting your fps by much if anything at all. Very minor if any fps drop. gfx improvement.

cl_smooth 0
Not much is known about this command except that it lowers fps when enabled(which is default). Ive played with this on and off and theres no gfx difference at all. Moderate FPS boost. No gfx loss.

cl_phys_props_enable 0
BIG help! This removes the smaller junk items that choke your cpu for processing. Items like tires, barrels, crates, and all the important stuff stay. Huge fps improvement. Less clutter.

cl_pushaway_force 0
This is another command currently considered a cheat that will default back to 20000 in most servers. It removes the push back when you bump into a barrel or other physics item. Makes game a lot smoother in movement. Again, wait until the cheat flag is removed to use. Better motion.

fog_enable 0
Sigh, yet another great FPS booster still considered a cheat. It disables random far away fog. Note this has nothing to do with smoke grenades, just random ingame fog. Major FPS boost. Minor gfx loss.

cl_allowupload "0"
This command just keeps random stats and junk from uploading ingame. Helps with ping

cl_allowdownload "0"
This command likewise just keeps random junk from downloading ingame. Helps with ping

r_lod 0
this controls the distance at which models use less polygons to save processing power.
The options for this are -5(best image quality, most processor use),-4,-3,-2,-1,0(least image quality, least processor use). so fool around with the settings to fit your taste. I personally cant tell a difference and prefer r_lod 0 for more fps gain. varying fps boost. varying but small gfx loss. -thx to rivercitycat for info

cl_show_bloodsprays 0
Once again, this is a "cheat"...like not having bloodsprays would improve your leet skillz. moderate fps boost. minor bloos loss :p

cl_ejectbrass 0
Same as above..."cheat"...just removes the brass ejections. helps in firefights. moderate fps boost. minor gfx loss.

lol how do you turn off the physics..should solve the prob!

Physics would have nothing to do with it.
Source has the fastest physics(All physics are done in 1 equation which previously took 4 and in makes it insanley faster to compute).
Try turning off Vsync..

Also the shadows in HL2\Cs:S do not suck. Infact several games draw them exactly(or in appearance anyway) the same way.
BF1942, Guild Wars, hitman series, morrowind etc...
It's not a bug. You have them as "major fps boost" while if they had shadows drawing properly then turning them off would be "ultra fps boost" because they will take more time to compute. You say they suck because they don't draw on some objects, but only on floors\walls, ceilings.(Pretty much anything that is a "block" or a form of a block on hammer)....

Back