FPS starcraft mod?

Quotidian---

Reaction score
i loved starcraft, around the same time i loved hl..

but i think it would be sweet...

to have a map start out, you jsut joined so your a marine.. inside a dome like building, suspended with other people who joined and are marines..

counts down..
go, doors open you rush out with your fellow marines and start running towards the enemy bases, or maybe you jump in a near by dome like bunker marines had..

while other players that have earned more pts maybe, and have selected to become a tank.. move out.. (only so many of each unit) the money gathering would be computer controlled..

teh base would be pre-planned out, if you die you respawn back as a marine
a mini map would show you location of all the players on your team

can you imagine running along a coast line and coming up on hydra's and shooting it out with other marines. and calling for a tank?

and then ofcourse the objective is to take out the enemy command center..

it would be possible to destroy enemy 'peon's' collecting the gas/minerals.. but the computer would instantly start to create more using up your teams pts.

with ever so many pts upgrades would become available for your team maybe to vote on to go through with it? such as speed/weapon/armor..

pts are obtained through killing enemy opponets.

could possibly have strictly engineer's like TFC that were in charge of building new things, or repairing buildings/repairing marines/tanks.. etc.

or maybe not allow players to build buildings at all.. might be easier that way. your just stuck with the buildings on how the map comes

teh view from a marine would be tinted, and look like your looking out a view finder, and you have a helmet on... maybe you hear yourself breathing aswell like a gasmask..

teh view of a hydralisk could be only heat sensitive..

same with a zergling?

a zealot could also have some kind of different view.

and of course a zealot would have 2 knife like hands at the bottom of the screen, and everytime you 'fired' it would show you spiking your hands fast twice.

the flight transportation could be handled easily with hl2, same with tanks.. players could jump aboard while another one flies into the heart of the enemy base..

thats if the turret has been destroyed.. which would be computer controlled firing.. or maybe player controled.. but i'm thinking computer controlled becuase you will never have that many people.

any questions thoughts?

Copyrights...

The BF1942 Starcraft mod got SHUT DOWN due to this.

But a space mod in similar Starcraft fashion would be quite cool. Be sure to check out Eternal Silence (link is here somewhere, just posted updates on the forum I beleive). Its not Starcraft, but is a pretty neat space mod.

Edit: And shorten your sig. Forum rules is 4 lines max including spaces.

Companies that really care about mods or end users "infringing" when there is no explicit exchange of money, are either overly greedy, control freaks, or just plain idiots.

yeah and im making a game called earthside

its a futuristic FPSRPG

what.. stop looking at me like that

:p

the problem with fpsrts is that its hard to have enough people to get the big army feel, assuming a 32 player limit. I'd suggest having each player control a unit of marines. Like say 5 marines controlled by one player or 2 small vehicles or one large tank

Originally posted by Dan
the problem with fpsrts is that its hard to have enough people to get the big army feel, assuming a 32 player limit. I'd suggest having each player control a unit of marines. Like say 5 marines controlled by one player or 2 small vehicles or one large tank
In other words, RTS in multiplayer :)

RTS in MP is a good way to go, since only NS has gone that route, and if I remember right they aren't porting to HL2, that leaves it wide open for someone to try and take their good idea and refine it.

Edit: And since MP limits are set by the modmakers, with some creative coding you could probably get higher player limits, maybe more Tribes sized.

Why not have the players as some sort of special commando unit and most of the weaker standard marine type guys as bots? You could still have the FPSRTS with very few players and it would still feel like a huge battle is going on.

This mod would be SO awesome!, but it sounds a whole lot like NS to me.

Well NS had a good idea, personally I think the execution was a bit flawed, but overal they did an amazing job and came up with something new. However, I personally wouldn't mind seeing a few attempts at what they did by others to try and refine and find that perfect formula.

Originally posted by Fallout2man
Well NS had a good idea, personally I think the execution was a bit flawed, but overal they did an amazing job and came up with something new. However, I personally wouldn't mind seeing a few attempts at what they did by others to try and refine and find that perfect formula.
The perfect formula is different for everyone. I for one would like a more lean towards FPS than RTS... While other people want a more RTS and less FPS. Which is the reason some want RTS/FPS games :)
But the thing is, you cant go out to say 32 players, ask how they want to play and then find 31 FPS oriented team players and 1 guy wanting to do it more RTS style.

Maybe I can do it a bit RTS like in Taurus Legio... The ones controlling the big capital ships will have less to do than those in fighters, so maybe one can give them an overhead view and command ability over the fighters in the vicinity... It wouldnt really be RTS though, just a natural system of a capital ship over smaller ships.

Originally posted by Fallout2man
RTS in MP is a good way to go, since only NS has gone that route, and if I remember right they aren't porting to HL2, that leaves it wide open for someone to try and take their good idea and refine it.

Edit: And since MP limits are set by the modmakers, with some creative coding you could probably get higher player limits, maybe more Tribes sized.
wink wink .. they'll port it .. you can be sure of that. I read in some interview wwith the devteam that they can't wait to see what they'll be able to do in the source engine and that porting NS would be an extremely good idea ..

Originally posted by dawdler
The perfect formula is different for everyone. I for one would like a more lean towards FPS than RTS... While other people want a more RTS and less FPS. Which is the reason some want RTS/FPS games :)
But the thing is, you cant go out to say 32 players, ask how they want to play and then find 31 FPS oriented team players and 1 guy wanting to do it more RTS style.

Maybe I can do it a bit RTS like in Taurus Legio... The ones controlling the big capital ships will have less to do than those in fighters, so maybe one can give them an overhead view and command ability over the fighters in the vicinity... It wouldnt really be RTS though, just a natural system of a capital ship over smaller ships.

Sounds alot like Eternal Silence... btw the link is http://esmod.traptown.com our forums are up!

Originally posted by MadMechwarrior
Sounds alot like Eternal Silence... btw the link is http://esmod.traptown.com our forums are up!
Advertisment! Oh wait, I did the same :p
And I could have guessed the link, ES is one of the mod I look very much forward too :)

The difference between ES and TL is simplicity. Your mod is awfully complex in comparison. TL doesnt feature infantry combat at all. Fighting will be simple, as will capital ship command (no control over every aspect, just the vital parts). And of course, it will be like 10mb in size, compared to 1gb+ for ES, one of your weapons probably have the same amount of polygons as entire Taurus Legio ;)

Originally posted by dawdler

Well really the only things I think NS did wrong was they didn't add enough variety in weapons/armor for the marines, HL2's limited engine prevented large outdoor areas and thusly no vehicles. The Aliens as well needed a bit more variety. My only really big dissappointment was NS just didn't have enough content to really inject some variety into it. Aliens always want Onos and marines want heavy armor and heavy MG or grenade launcher.

As well there was too much burden directly on the marine commanders shoulders, having medics/engineers to handle health/ammo distribution or sub-commanders would've helped that. Also, some RPG elements for battle attributes to get marines to specialize in a specific role.

Originally posted by SpoBo
wink wink .. they'll port it .. you can be sure of that. I read in some interview wwith the devteam that they can't wait to see what they'll be able to do in the source engine and that porting NS would be an extremely good idea ..

Care to link me? I heard that they specifically weren't porting. Porting all their content wouldn't be so hard, but upping the quality to HL2 levels would most likely take a good while.

Back